FedEx Ground - BBsam are you proud of this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didn't think their lack of professionalism could sink any lower. What can I say? I was wrong.

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/fede...rs-deliver-packages-to-back-of-garbage-t.html

Could it be that it was raining or going to rain and he was trying to protect the packages? I have done this--I have used an empty garbage can to protect packages. This kept them "out of sight, out of weather" and the customer appreciated my efforts. I have also used BBQ tarps, left packages in tree houses, in the bed of pickup trucks, etc., all in an effort to protect the package.

I recall one time when I was delivering in base housing. I left the pkg in the storage room where they kept their garbage cans and, you guessed it, the garbage guys took the package along with the garbage, even though the pkg was sitting on top of the garbage cans. UPS paid the claim as will FedEx Ground.

LTFedExer

Could it be that it was raining or going to rain and he was trying to protect the packages? I have done this--I have used an empty garbage can to protect packages. This kept them "out of sight, out of weather" and the customer appreciated my efforts. I have also used BBQ tarps, left packages in tree houses, in the bed of pickup trucks, etc., all in an effort to protect the package.

I recall one time when I was delivering in base housing. I left the pkg in the storage room where they kept their garbage cans and, you guessed it, the garbage guys took the package along with the garbage, even though the pkg was sitting on top of the garbage cans. UPS paid the claim as will FedEx Ground.
Well said Upstate. I too have left packages in, what some would call, weird places. All for safety from neighbors, animals and weather. In some cases, the recipient left a note to leave it somewhere I wouldn't have thought of. I, of course, took the note to CMA in case something happened to it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

That's just asking for trouble IMO.

There's better hiding places and there's rain bags too.

LTFedExer

I didn't think their lack of professionalism could sink any lower. What can I say? I was wrong.

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/fede...rs-deliver-packages-to-back-of-garbage-t.html

That's just asking for trouble IMO.

There's better hiding places and there's rain bags too.
You make it seem like this has never happened before. I'll bet you this happens daily.......to Ground, Express and UPS as well. I see traces almost daily for a courier to see a CSA because a recipient can't find a released package, even though in the comments it says, as plain as day, where it was left. Sometimes they question a delivery that has a POD (happened to me)!!!! THAT one boggles my mind when I see it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sorry but, unless the customer SPECIFICALLY asks to have their packages DR'd in a garbage can, I would never do such a thing, and if the UPS or FedEx delivery driver did that to me, as a customer, I'd be peeved.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry but, unless the customer SPECIFICALLY asks to have their packages DR'd in a garbage can, I would never do such a thing, and if the UPS or FedEx delivery driver did that to me, as a customer, I'd be peeved.

As would I but would you be upset if the driver used your empty garbage can to protect your pkg from the rain?

Cactus

You make it seem like this has never happened before. I'll bet you this happens daily.......to Ground, Express and UPS as well. I see traces almost daily for a courier to see a CSA because a recipient can't find a released package, even though in the comments it says, as plain as day, where it was left. Sometimes they question a delivery that has a POD (happened to me)!!!! THAT one boggles my mind when I see it.

I think half the time the CSA's are just too lazy to read the comments.

If you wanna leave cutomers packages in garbage cans and my house isn't on your route, then go for it. Then let us know how things are down at the unemployment office.

As would I but would you be upset if the driver used your empty garbage can to protect your pkg from the rain?

Yes. Re-read post #4.

LTFedExer

I think half the time the CSA's are just too lazy to read the comments.
True.
If you wanna leave cutomers packages in garbage cans and my house isn't on your route, then go for it. Then let us know how things are down at the unemployment office.
1. I wouldn't leave it in a can if the can was on the curb obviously ready for garbage pickup. But, if it were still on the side of the house......I might.
2. What does the house being on my route have anything to do with it?
3. As long as the package isn't an ISR, DSR or ASR, I would have done nothing wrong. Package was left in a secure location.

Cactus

1. Who thinks to look in their garbage cans for their packages? And if you leave a delivery notice saying that's where it is, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

2. I don't want my packages left in with garbage. How hard is that to understand?

3. ISR's, DSR's, and ASR's are irrelevant here. There's better secure locations than the trash. And if there isn't don't leave the package.

bbsam

Staff member
1. Who thinks to look in their garbage cans for their packages? And if you leave a delivery notice saying that's where it is, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

2. I don't want my packages left in with garbage. How hard is that to understand?

3. ISR's, DSR's, and ASR's are irrelevant here. There's better secure locations than the trash. And if there isn't don't leave the package.
As a driver, you do indeed have the discretion to make all of the above decisions. Ground will eat the claim. Personally, I would tell any of my drivers to "bag it an conceal it by the trash can if necessary, but in it? Really?!"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would rather NI1 than use a garbage can to hide a package. This has got to be the most disgusting place to leave a deliver a package. The smell, the maggots, no way

Obviously I would only use a clean can to do this and it would be one of my last options, the last being NI1. I don't do send agains.

Cactus

Obviously I would only use a clean can to do this and it would be one of my last options, the last being NI1. I don't do send agains.

You must have lots of free time on your route to search for clean garbage cans. :funny:

And I'll bet that you in fact do send agains. What if it's a signature required resi package and the cuastomer isn't home?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You must have lots of free time on your route to search for clean garbage cans. :funny:

And I'll bet that you in fact do send agains. What if it's a signature required resi package and the cuastomer isn't home?

Of course I have send agains but I do all that I can to keep them to a minimum. I will use the triangle method for residential signature required packages.

I don't search for clean garbage cans but will use them if there are no other options. An inverted clean garbage can is great for keeping packages "out of sight, out of weather". I also use garbage cans or recycling bins to hide DR'd packages behind.

LTFedExer

1. You'd be surprised who looks in their cans and leaving a note is what the company wants. Defeating the purpose? Yes.
2. Then make sure you leave a note......unless there's another obvious place the courier can leave it.
3. Agreed, but don't get upset if a driver doesn't leave the package at your house.
I would rather NI1 than use a garbage can to hide a package. This has got to be the most disgusting place to leave a deliver a package. The smell, the maggots, no way
If you have maggots in your garbage can, I would clean it ASAP. I hose/wash my garbage can at least once a month, more often if needed.
Agreed....I have never done it, but it would not be out of the question.

tracker2762

Does this include all package or do you draw the line on, let's say Omaha steaks, lobster gram. I can not see the customer being to happy about pulling a delivery out of there trash can. Sorry that's just not right.

LTFedExer

Of course I have send agains but I do all that I can to keep them to a minimum. I will use the triangle method for residential signature required packages.
what's the 'triangle method'?
Does this include all package or do you draw the line on, let's say Omaha steaks, lobster gram. I can not see the customer being to happy about pulling a delivery out of there trash can. Sorry that's just not right.
OK, this is getting stupid. It's been mentioned a few times this would be a last resort.