FedEx Ground FMCSA Score Sucks

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx Ground's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Adminstration (FMCSA) scores are not very good. Hardly surprising, given the high number of accidents we are always hearing about. This may eventually put a kink in Fred's plans because carriers with lousy safety records either cannot get insurance or pay exorbitant rates for it. This threatens the low-cost advantage of Ground.

In fact, there have been a number of smaller carriers bought-out by larger carriers (for undoubtedly bargain prices) because they can no longer afford insurance.

If Ground keeps on crunching them, Fred may possibly have to find someone else to haul his freight for him, at significantly higher rates. Once again, you get what you pay for, and sometimes lowballing quality has dire consequences.

I, for one, would love to see Ground have it's authority yanked.

Screw you, Smith.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm waiting for bbScam to find the silver lining behind that ugly gray cloud.

Any minute now..........

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Pretty hard to spin bad scores.

Very true.

Hopefully Smith is in the "high risk" group with this and he can shop around for high risk insurance from companies that specialize in that sort of thing. Then he can add a rider policy on for his own personal vehicle.

bbsam

Staff member
FedEx Ground's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Adminstration (FMCSA) scores are not very good. Hardly surprising, given the high number of accidents we are always hearing about. This may eventually put a kink in Fred's plans because carriers with lousy safety records either cannot get insurance or pay exorbitant rates for it. This threatens the low-cost advantage of Ground.

In fact, there have been a number of smaller carriers bought-out by larger carriers (for undoubtedly bargain prices) because they can no longer afford insurance.

If Ground keeps on crunching them, Fred may possibly have to find someone else to haul his freight for him, at significantly higher rates. Once again, you get what you pay for, and sometimes lowballing quality has dire consequences.

I, for one, would love to see Ground have it's authority yanked.

Screw you, Smith.
Oh, stop with your wet dream fantasies. Fred will find the appropriate government officials and buy them off.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh, stop with your wet dream fantasies. Fred will find the appropriate government officials and buy them off.

Good one, but I think even Fred would have trouble with the FMCSA. They take it very seriously, and your score is your score. No bonuses or dispensation for owning a group of politicians.

bbsam

Staff member
Good one, but I think even Fred would have trouble with the FMCSA. They take it very seriously, and your score is your score. No bonuses or dispensation for owning a group of politicians.

You have alot of faith in a government that even with full democratic control couldn't get card check.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You have alot of faith in a government that even with full democratic control couldn't get card check.

Actually, with the CSA program...I do. The politicians know that big rig safety is a hot button that keeps them in front of the voters. It was public pressure following some spectacularly bad accidents that forced the government to finally do something to get the bad drivers and companies off the road.

I don't know if you remember the bus accident in Oregon a few months back where the Canadian driver was at 92 hours of service when he hit ice and lost control of his vehicle. US truckers are famous for popping pills to stay awake for 2-3 days at a time, running mutiple logbooks, and not properly maintaining or inspecting their trucks.

This is long overdue. And where is Obama on card check anyway? Nowhere to be found.

HomeDelivery

i glimpsed something on the board about how bad it was on the Ground side... one of the stats that jumped out was over 20 to 30 that can't speak enough English to the officer who pulled them over:surprised:

I am staying SAFE over the couple of years in my division, but it's a juggling act that the contractor takes when he/she hires that person with good practices vs someone who's just a runner-gunner

Yeh FedEx Ground really does suck...compare the numbers to UPS.

Unsafe driving: UPS 5.1% Ground 20.7%
Hours of Service (HOS) Compliance: UPS 10.1% Ground 47.7%
Driver Fitness: UPS 26.1% Ground 76.4%
Controlled Substances and alcohol: UPS 0% Ground 28.5%
Vehicle maintenance: UPS 16.4% Ground 63.3%

Those numbers do suck, and Ground drivers wonder why I refer to them as dirtbags!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeh FedEx Ground really does suck...compare the numbers to UPS.

Unsafe driving: UPS 5.1% Ground 20.7%
Hours of Service (HOS) Compliance: UPS 10.1% Ground 47.7%
Driver Fitness: UPS 26.1% Ground 76.4%
Controlled Substances and alcohol: UPS 0% Ground 28.5%
Vehicle maintenance: UPS 16.4% Ground 63.3%

Those numbers do suck, and Ground drivers wonder why I refer to them as dirtbags!

The Federal Government takes FMCSA very seriously. So do the states, and that means that the Ground score will probably get worse, because bad carriers get extra enforcement attention.

That's what you get when you run a low-quality, low-budget operation that focuses on cost instead of safety.

Last edited:
Here you go... Carrier Overview Once they hit the 80% threshold they will see changes in how they are inspected.

Low cost drivers get you low cost quality, a company like Express or UPS can't afford to have their freight held up at an inspection due to a driver being taken OOS. Here is an inspection report on one of the Ground vehicles...The driver can't even speak English Detail Inspection Report Lets higher some guy that just jumped the fence in Texas and put him behind the wheel of a FedEx truck!

bbsam

Staff member
The Federal Government takes FMCSA very seriously. So do the states, and that means that the Ground score will probably get worse, because bad carriers get extra enforcement attention.

That's what you get when you run a low-quality, low-budget operation that focuses on cost instead of safety.
And to make your point, you should show Express' numbers over the last couple years and show how when the quality of the driver goes down the FMSCA score goes up.

MAKAVELI

And to make your point, you should show Express' numbers over the last couple years and show how when the quality of the driver goes down the FMSCA score goes up.

Don't take it so personal dude the numbers are what they are.