FedEx ground is worst than a sweatshop

skir

Los Angeles CA
60+ Hrs a week, $600.00 week gross, bad back, no Ins for family, no discount stock options, no 401k, no protection, no life, no 5 week paid vacation, no 9 days a year paid sick day, no pension, not an employee, IC and Fedex getting rich off them priceless. Now that's why I love working for UPS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

60+ Hrs a week, $600.00 week gross, bad back, no Ins for family, no discount stock options, no 401k, no protection, no life, no 5 week paid vacation, no 9 days a year paid sick day, no pension, not an employee, IC and Fedex getting rich off them priceless. Now that's why I love working for UPS

Have you ever worked in or been to a sweatshop? I have so I have some basis for my opinion. I worked in the shipping department of a Christmas bulb factory during the summers when I was going to college and this was a sweatshop.

Your salary figure is inaccurate and is closer to their net pay for the week.

The bad back is not limited to FedEx Ground drivers.

Most of your other points are valid and will hopefully be changed when they are reclassified as employees rather than ICs.

P

pickup

Plus they work off of a 1099, which means they have to pay both halves of the friend.I.C.A (social security) , where as a company employee pays (has it taken out of paycheck) and the employer the other half. the half is about 7 1/2 percent I believe.

Also, I never met an Independent Contractor or as they like to call themselves Owner Operators , who drove tractor trailers, who didn't have a problem with the IRS years down the road. I met a few younger ones who don't yet but will. An Independent contractor is responsible for making his quarterly estimated tax payments and sometimes they mean to , and then the truck needs a new fuel pump, or the house needs a new furnace. Rob Peter to pay Paul and don't pay the government and make up some phony expenses to lower your taxable income. Years later, told by the irs, sorry your deduction of your supposed home office (which is actually the living room) doesn't qualify . Pay up what you owe plus interest and penalties.

I wonder if the Independent contractors of Fed Ex have similar problems.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
My brother is Ground driver (not the contractor) out of Stockton Ca. and from what I have seen and heard it is ran like a sweat shop. After a year of service his gross pay has been raised from $650.00 to $700.00 and thats all. He gets NO sick days, NO vacation, NO paid holidays, NO medical, NO pension, NO 401K, NO stock purchase program, and on top of that he is only provided his shirt hes responsible for evrything else. The biggest problem with what Fed-Ex is doing is that eventually thier total lack of morale and employee loyalty will catch up to them. Our job as difficult and demanding as it can be is still something that we can call a career and that we can build a family around. We can be a part of society not a drain on it. Our wages give us the abillity to buy homes, cars, and go on nice vacations, treat ourselves to some nice things and most importantly we can actually plan our future for the long run.

dragracer66

Not for long!!!! Soon as the senate passes that bill Fed Ex is going to have a whole bunch of new employees. And hopefully the teamsters and the machinists get in there and organize them!!! All it can do is help us!!! Thats why Fed Ex is so aganist it...

Tony31yrs

Would you rather not pay union dues and pay for your own medical, dental, eyecare, 401K and put aside for your own retirement? Not to mention the fact that they could fire you at any time. I got a lot more than my moneysworth over the years for the dues and I retired at 50 with a pension bigger than a lot of peoples' salaries.

outamyway

Not for long!!!! Soon as the senate passes that bill Fed Ex is going to have a whole bunch of new employees. And hopefully the teamsters and the machinists get in there and organize them!!! All it can do is help us!!! Thats why Fed Ex is so aganist it...

Yep

Imagine contract negotiations for raises, pensions, insurance, stocks, ect. going on right now during a recession.

If the union wins some battles where do you think the extra money is going to come from?

FedEx unionizing will be the best thing to happen to UPS in a long time.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Would you rather not pay union dues and pay for your own medical, dental, eyecare, 401K and put aside for your own retirement? Not to mention the fact that they could fire you at any time. I got a lot more than my moneysworth over the years for the dues and I retired at 50 with a pension bigger than a lot of peoples' salaries.

My comment about not being "forced" to pay union dues was intended to be sarcastic.

You are 100% correct that union dues ($74 a month for me here) are the bargain of a lifetime compared to the cost of self-paying for medical benefits and a decent pension.

dragracer66

My comment about not being "forced" to pay union dues was intended to be sarcastic.

You are 100% correct that union dues ($74 a month for me here) are the bargain of a lifetime compared to the cost of self-paying for medical benefits and a decent pension.
I look at it this way I pay $74 a month for job security. Unless you commit one of three "cardinal sins" nobody gets fired. And thats well worth the $74. In todays world of work here today and fired tomorrow its well worth it!

mungrin

Banned
Yeah these Fedex Ground guys need a union bad!They are getting screwed so bad making 8 bucks an hour,no vacation or sick days.Long long hours.

Tony31yrs

Sorry for reading you wrong Soberups, but over the years I met a few guys that actually felt that way. Of course they usually left or took supervision. I used to tell customers that without the union, they'd have a different driver with a green card every day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry for reading you wrong Soberups, but over the years I met a few guys that actually felt that way. Of course they usually left or took supervision. I used to tell customers that without the union, they'd have a different driver with a green card every day.

Exactly. Without the union, you would be FedEx Ground. And the comment about green cards isn't far from the truth. For $600-$700 per week, being able to speak English is asking a lot. I had a Ground guy try to deliver a pkg to me at my home addressed to someone about 2 miles away. When I tried to explain his error, he could only speak Spanish in return.

bbsam

Staff member
Yeah these Fedex Ground guys need a union bad!They are getting screwed so bad making 8 bucks an hour,no vacation or sick days.Long long hours.
so mungrin, do you want fedex to have a union or do you want them out of business? thanks for the support at kinkos.:happy2:

whiskey

Several years ago I found 11 packages stacked behind a vacant building adjacent to the railroad tracks. They were going to six area businesses. They had RPS labels on them. I delivered them and eventually caught up with the driver. He was filling in for the regular driver. I asked him, "What's up with that?" He responded, "What would you do? I get $70 dollars a day no matter if it's 8 hours a day or 18 hours."

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer

So don't work there. Wasn't that easy?

Must have something going for them - they are full of employees & not needing more.