FedEx Ground spends $55 million on new hub

WhatCrass

While it seems like wages for workers are either staying the same or going up a tiny amount (while our benefits are become more and more worthless), it's good to see that there's always more money to make more money for the executives. :greedy:

http://www.areadevelopment.com/Prin...-georgia02181.shtml?ID=from_the_wire&ID1=2520

FedEx Ground is investing $55 million to build a distribution facility in Norcross, Georgia. The company already has three distribution centers in the metro Atlanta area. FedEx expects to hire 240 employees to support the facility.

“Enhancing FedEx Ground’s distribution capability in the Southeast is critical to increasing the size, speed, and efficiency of our network,” said Robert E. Holcombe, vice president of the southern region for FedEx Ground. “This new facility is evidence of the Southeast region’s increased presence in the distribution and logistics business, and the growing confidence of local shippers that we are their best choice for their ground shipping needs.”

The new site will measure 215,000 square feet and will open in the fall of 2012. It will have the capacity to process 15,000 packages per hour and dispatch up to 75 delivery vehicles every day.

Norcross’s proximity to major highways and other logistics and transportation hubs attracted FedEx to the site.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
FedEx Ground is investing $55 million to build a distribution facility in Norcross, Georgia. The company already has three distribution centers in the metro Atlanta area. FedEx expects to enslave 240 employees to support the facility.

“Enhancing FedEx Ground’s distribution capability in the Southeast is critical to destroying the hope and freedom of our employees,” said Robert E. Holcombe, vice president of the southern region for FedEx Ground. “This new facility is evidence of the Southeast region’s increased presence in the limiting of employee workplace rights, pay and benefits, and the growing confidence of local lawsuits that and we are the best choice for crushing them mightily"

The new site will measure 215,000 square feet and will open in the fall of 2012. It will have the capacity to process 15,000 packages per hour which will crush the underpaid slaves and dispatch 75 delivery vehicles owned by greedy tyrants.

Norcross’s proximity to lower wages and other labor logistics attracted FedEx to the site.

WhatCrass

FedEx Ground is investing $55 million to build a distribution facility in Norcross, Georgia. The company already has three distribution centers in the metro Atlanta area. FedEx expects to enslave 240 employees to support the facility.

“Enhancing FedEx Ground’s distribution capability in the Southeast is critical to destroying the hope and freedom of our employees,” said Robert E. Holcombe, vice president of the southern region for FedEx Ground. “This new facility is evidence of the Southeast region’s increased presence in the limiting of employee workplace rights, pay and benefits, and the growing confidence of local lawsuits that and we are the best choice for crushing them mightily"

The new site will measure 215,000 square feet and will open in the fall of 2012. It will have the capacity to process 15,000 packages per hour which will crush the underpaid slaves and dispatch 75 delivery vehicles owned by greedy tyrants.

Norcross’s proximity to lower wages and other labor logistics attracted FedEx to the site.

Haha, I loved how they used that "proximity to a strong labor force". And how nice it is to see that the governor of Georgia is good friends with FedEx ground.

I'm pretty sure he isn't much of a friend of the people who work inside that hub.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Haha, I loved how they used that "proximity to a strong labor force". And how nice it is to see that the governor of Georgia is good friends with FedEx ground.

I'm pretty sure he isn't much of a friend of the people who work inside that hub.

Would you rather they remain unemployed?

I would think you guys would applaud this story. Ground is getting their act together to make a serious run at UPS. They have the advantage of a lower overall cost point. The level of service is improving. There is not a week that goes by where Ground is not mentioned in a PCM. (Surprisingly, I can't recall the last time a word was said about Express) It is very hard for us to secure new volume due to our price point.

WhatCrass

I would think you guys would applaud this story. Ground is getting their act together to make a serious run at UPS. They have the advantage of a lower overall cost point. The level of service is improving. There is not a week that goes by where Ground is not mentioned in a PCM. (Surprisingly, I can't recall the last time a word was said about Express) It is very hard for us to secure new volume due to our price point.

All they're doing is providing low wage jobs to desperate people. People who won't complain or cause a problem and FedEx would love to hire people like that!

The "lower cost" really means FedEx makes a greater profit because they pay "lower wages" and no benefits, sick days, personal days, and vacation time to warehouse workers. Unlike UPS where they have all of that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All they're doing is providing low wage jobs to desperate people. People who won't complain or cause a problem and FedEx would love to hire people like that!

The "lower cost" really means FedEx makes a greater profit because they pay "lower wages" and no benefits, sick days, personal days, and vacation time to warehouse workers. Unlike UPS where they have all of that.

I wasn't talking about UPS. I am talking about FedEx Ground. If they are able to keep their labor costs down while providing reliable service to their customers then more power to them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Maybe you can ask your center manager why UPS isn't more agressive regarding the huge cost advantage FedEx Ground enjoys, thanks to a non-union workforce of employees who aren't employees? UPS has been very weak in it's opposition to Fred's special deals, and you are losing market share as a result.

Oh, and that $55 million that Fred spent on the new terminal came from us over here at Express. Again, his advantage allows him to pay us less and invest more in new facilities and planes, which also hurts UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not sure about that word, "reliable."

At Ground, "reliable" means that it gets delivered within a 5-mile radius of where it's actually supposed to go.

There is a Ground driver who's route basically mirrors mine and there are times when we are at the same stop(s). I have given him the nickname "Pokey" as he is slower than death; however, everything gets delivered as addressed, he makes good DR's and the customers like him.

Ground is getting their act together to make a serious run at UPS, which will make us question our business model. Look for a two-tiered wage system to be introduced in 2013.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There is a Ground driver who's route basically mirrors mine and there are times when we are at the same stop(s). I have given him the nickname "Pokey" as he is slower than death; however, everything gets delivered as addressed, he makes good DR's and the customers like him.

Ground is getting their act together to make a serious run at UPS, which will make us question our business model. Look for a two-tiered wage system to be introduced in 2013.

Or maybe they'll have a 20-tiered pay structure like Express.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Maybe if ups would start treating their employees like actual members of the"team", and not like criminals maybe more people would put in sales leads to help counter this. If you think about this the package delivery business is considered a duopoly,ups and fedex.... there are lawsuits on this very same subject against both companies. Ups is lucky that they aren't in some areas of business where there are a dozen or more major companies fighting it out for the same piece of pie. Ups has let fedex get to this point,on more than a few different levels..but it always seems to go back to hourly wages...how about the managements wages that have gone up over the years also...does a 73% pay raise come to mind???

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe if ups would start treating their employees like actual members of the"team", and not like criminals maybe more people would put in sales leads to help counter this. If you think about this the package delivery business is considered a duopoly,ups and fedex.... there are lawsuits on this very same subject against both companies. Ups is lucky that they aren't in some areas of business where there are a dozen or more major companies fighting it out for the same piece of pie. Ups has let fedex get to this point,on more than a few different levels..but it always seems to go back to hourly wages...how about the managements wages that have gone up over the years also...does a 73% pay raise come to mind???
"UPS has let fedex get to this point, on more than a few different levels...." My sincerest apologies. I did not realize we had been the recipients of such coporate generosity. Our most sincerest gratitude to you and Mr. Davis for allowing our existence and so readily giving up market share. Again, thank-you.:wink2::peaceful: