FedEx Ground Taking Over Express Services

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Since Fred S is about to screw us over again here at FedEx Express, here's some inside information that Brown might find useful. Over the last few months, FedEx has been preparing to shift it's E2 and XS services over to FedEx Ground. This means that FedEx Ground will be able to undercut UPS in additional areas and use the low-wage/no benefit ISP contractor model to take away UPS business. This is an unfair (but legal, so far) competitive advantage that will save Mr Smith hundred of millions in labor and benefit costs, and allow him to engage UPS in a price war intended to steal even more market share from UPS.

The evidence is strong. FedEx is combining Express and Ground dispatch functions, has introduced a new PowerPad that will be used by both divisions, and is installing ballmats (for air containers) at Ground facilities. FedEx Express has also stopped buying walk-ins, and is purchasing large numbers of Sprinters, which also points toward Express concentrating solely on the overnight market.

Just thought a few of you would like to know what Fred has up his sleeve. Prepare accordingly. You're welcome.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
FedEX wants to become more like UPS then they are going to endanger what special circumstance that makes them unique. They will lose their labor classification and open themselves up to organized labor.....something that they are fighting tooth and nail. If ANY package that is moved by a FEDEX airplane gets into the ground delivery portion of FEDEX then all bets are off. They can no longer argue to be treated as an airline when they are mixing ground and air packages. They must be reclassified under the NRLA just like virtually every other business in the US.

Last edited:

BrownBlue

New Jack
I've already been seeing the Home Delivery driver in my area delivering the express saver stuff for about a year now. I told the express driver, and he said they should not be doing that, and he'd talk to his manager. Hmmm, wonder if his manager told him the truth or just kept lying. It is just sad how these drivers at Fedx ground and home are compensated. I mean come on you work for a multi-billion dollar multi-national and you don't get squat for pay and absolutely zero for benefits and retirement. But hey they get pizza and $50 on a holiday. Wow that must be some great pizza to make 24K a year.

Borderline 9.5

Yahbut, the fedex drivers get to cruise with the bulkhead open.8-)

We were told years ago the because we carry air freight that the bulk door must be secure for FAA regulations. Might have been a bunch of bs to scare drivers into keeping the bulk head door shut. Doesn't really matter now because telematics is here and they're watching all the time.

j13501

We were told years ago the because we carry air freight that the bulk door must be secure for FAA regulations. Might have been a bunch of bs to scare drivers into keeping the bulk head door shut. Doesn't really matter now because telematics is here and they're watching all the time.
Keeping the bulkhead door secure when you're driving is a safety issue. The concern with the FAA is keeping the package car locked and secure when you are away from the vehicle, making deliveries or pickups, so that there is no chance that someone can tamper with packages. Two different issues.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't know about regulations, but the way my handcart slides around and slams into my bulkhead door instead of my leg, that's reason enough. I like to keep my calf muscle on the back of my leg, not spread all over my dvir holder.

Borderline 9.5

Keeping the bulkhead door secure when you're driving is a safety issue. The concern with the FAA is keeping the package car locked and secure when you are away from the vehicle, making deliveries or pickups, so that there is no chance that someone can tamper with packages. Two different issues.

Fedex ground doesn't secure their vehicle when they're making deliveries either

Borderline 9.5

I don't know about regulations, but the way my handcart slides around and slams into my bulkhead door instead of my leg, that's reason enough. I like to keep my calf muscle on the back of my leg, not spread all over my dvir holder.

That would drive me nuts, why don't you secure it to the shelf.