FedEx Ground

It will be fine

Instead of snipping back and forth at each other the guys with multiple routes and Spanish speaking drivers might be doing themselves a huge favor if they checked the regs because I thought I read somewhere in them that a driver has to be able to speak, read and write English in a competent manner.
They need enough to read street signs and converse with a police officer. They do English tests for all new Linehaul drivers around here. They were failing on it with DOT inspections. In my state I believe all commercial license tests are only conducted in English, not sure if that is national or not.

bbsam

Staff member
Instead of snipping back and forth at each other the guys with multiple routes and Spanish speaking drivers might be doing themselves a huge favor if they checked the regs because I thought I read somewhere in them that a driver has to be able to speak, read and write English in a competent manner.
Competent enough to get.a drivers license?

TeamLift

About 2 years ago, there was a post on here about a contractor in CA who was paying $450 per week. It was significant because the driver was involved in a fatal accident and also showed how unscrupulous some contractors could be.

bbsam? He's probably one of the good ones. It sounds like he tries to give his drivers a decent deal. It's still a scam, but at least he isn't reaming his people like others are.

Ya, he
On the west coast, most of the ground drivers only speak Spanish. At least they only feel comfortable speaking Spanish. I stopped even trying to communicate with most of the guys. "Hey whats up? Are you guys busy?". "Yes Busy". When someone speaks to them in Spanish they go from "Busy" to, "Esf fseofje fejfeofjio AAE[FIOJA[O que er IGFAIJF[OSEIFJIOejfisjfijesfijefijeofijeoifjeifjeiofjdskfgfvnbnnfrdjcdjfdnajsfnjfnn......................" There will always be a pool of workers for ground to choose from.

That's right, and now with thousands of jihads coming across the border, they would love X, just think of the explosives that would fit in a box truck.

TeamLift

So when you're around Spanish speaking people and they go from speaking English to speaking Spanish in your presence you don't feel like a foreigner in your own land? That would be a natural feeling but the fact remains: no official language.

And would I value a bi-lingual driver from Latin-America over Jim Bob from Peoria Illinois? If all else was equal, abso-freakin'-lutely.

No official language do to who? Democrats that's who, they need the votes. You'll get your chance to hire one, Johnny Jihad is coming to a hub near you.

Ex-Ex

The norm here in CA is 650 gross for 10 to 12 hour work day. No benefits, sick time or vacation. A lot of Contractors promise to give bonuses but that doesn't happen. After the first week of Peak we had a group of drivers that told their Contractor they were not delivering another piece until he bumped them up for peak. After a heated conversation he caved and bumped them up for the rest of peak a couple hundred a week. We will see if they all get replaced now that Peak is over.
Had my old terminal call me and ask for help a couple of years ago, shortest conversation ever, told them I would help for no less than an entry level driver at UPS.
Haven't heard from them since:lol:

bacha29

In my area there is a growing Amish population. Some of you might be surprised to learn that English is not their primary language. It's some kind of Dutch/German hybrid. Nevertheless they all learn to speak English fluently because they are aware of their need to communicate and by learning the language they made it easier for themselves to be accepted and blend in but they won't willingly teach their language to us "English".

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
The Amish have to learn English so they can say things like "mayest I borrow thy cell phone?" and "would thou givest Levi a ride to the hospital in thine horseless buggy?"

dezguy

Where I'm from originally, I was part of a rather large French Canadian community. French is our mother tongue but we all learned how to speak English, fluently because the rest of the community, which out numbered ours spoke English as their first language. Could we have survived and found work had we not been willing to learn English? Probably, but why make things harder on yourself than you need to?

Besides, knowing two languages, both of which happen to be Canada's official languages opens more doors for me had I only spoke French.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No official language do to who? Democrats that's who, they need the votes. You'll get your chance to hire one, Johnny Jihad is coming to a hub near you.

No racism from you...wow. While I think immigrants should learn English, nobody is probably going to hire anyone who cannot speak it anyway, so they are somewhat incentivized to get on board.

The GOP faithful (assuming you are one) think all immigrants are sucking at the government teat etc. If I were you, I'd be more worried about the anti-union, anti-labor, pro-racist views of the Republican party.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Where I'm from originally, I was part of a rather large French Canadian community. French is our mother tongue but we all learned how to speak English, fluently because the rest of the community, which out numbered ours spoke English as their first language. Could we have survived and found work had we not been willing to learn English? Probably, but why make things harder on yourself than you need to?

Besides, knowing two languages, both of which happen to be Canada's official languages opens more doors for me had I only spoke French.

I'm wondering if we will ever figure it out and have 2 official languages as well...English and Spanish. Since Hispanics will outnumber whites soon, so it only makes sense. As a frequent visitor to Canada, I see no problems with the dual language.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm wondering if we will ever figure it out and have 2 official languages as well...English and Spanish. Since Hispanics will outnumber whites soon, so it only makes sense. As a frequent visitor to Canada, I see no problems with the dual language.

There have been a few times that I have been to Canada where the locals refused to speak English.

bacha29

Spot on Mr. Fedex. As for Mr. 66. The amish all have cell phones and if they have to go some place ,in cases where they don't own a car and have a licensed "English" drive it for them , they call up one of dozens of "English" who will take them anywhere they want at exorbitant fees, are paid in cash,operating without operating authority, on private vehicle insurance and never report the income.

dezguy

Ehhh... Visit parts of Quebec and say there isn't a problem with the dual language...

dezguy

To be completely honest, I thought Spanish already was an official language down there. lol

dex 84

Not many native Spanish speakers around here. A ton of people that speak Portuguese but most of them speak English well enough to get by. So I can't say I run into these language barriers too often but when I do I just do my best with hand gestures and what little words the person will understand. When you don't speak English you are going to have some issues communicating with people in America. It is what it is. I'll try to talk to you but I might not get very far.