FedEx Hiring Trolls Equals Desperation

Washu234

I am UPS and lived in Mass my whole life, now in NH.

You are so off-base in your view of UPS it could not be further from the truth. I will not stand here and give you an opinion of FedEx because I haven't done it, but you are completely wrong about UPS in everything you said.

Let me first say, NO ONE IN BROWN AS A DRIVER LOST THEIR JOBS entirely. If the volume is reduced to the point, that cuts the driver BACK INTO THE BUILDING to get their 8 hours. THEY DO GET LAID OFF FROM DRIVING BUT NOT OUT OF A JOB.

This is a union shop, and perhaps you have not done it, but let me explain. Work is offered by seniority. If you are junior driver, a full-time driver, you are bumped out of your job into the building to bump someone less senior. Full-time employees have seniority over all part-timers.

PS how was FedExs profits the first 2 quarters this year?

And UPS's profits?

FedEx is superior? Wrong, wrong wrong.

I will be the first to admit I don't entirely understand the workings of UPS. I often ask the three brown drivers who cover my route about their job. I'm slowly but surely learning the board as I swap just to see how it compares to the powerpad.

I'll have to ask about the layoffs because this is the first I've heard about the 'bumped back to the station'. If that's true, (non sarcastic) I'm floored by the good will of the company and the work of the union, but again all I've heard from my buddies in Brown around me is how useless Teamsters has been as they've been more concerned about saving jobs then people being overworked.

As far as the financials go, yes in a down economy FedEx does suffer more then UPS largely because of FedEx's reliance on the Express division for revenue. The Express division has huge overhead (as does UPS's) but the fact that you guys ship more ground packages means that you also fly fewer planes. Both our companies are facing huge drops in volume but its a lot cheaper to drive an empty truck then to fly an empty plane.

I'm sorry to flat out say I think FedEx is a superior because of the lack of Union, but from a Management perspective FedEx has more flexibility. If I'm running a business and my FedEx driver misses commitment I know he'll be a lot more accountable then if my UPS teamster protected driver does. Not to be devils advocate but accountability is a good thing.

tracker2762

Washu234;593829I'm sorry to flat out say I think FedEx is a superior because of the lack of Union said:
What makes you think that a UPS driver who misses a commit time won't be held accountable? The fact is he will be held accountable for this infraction. I don't understand why you think because we are union that we can do what ever we want. The fact is we can't and that''s the way it should. You do your job as best as you can do and there should be no problem. In my years as a driver the union has little involvment in my career at UPS. (but it's good to know that the union is there if something does come up)

tracker2762

Washu234;593829I'm sorry to flat out say I think FedEx is a superior because of the lack of Union said:
What makes you think that a UPS driver who misses a commit time won't be held accountable? The fact is he will be held accountable for this infraction. I don't understand why you think because we are union that we can do what ever we want. The fact is we can't and that''s the way it should. You do your job as best as you can do and there should be no problem. In my years as a driver the union has little involvment in my career at UPS. (but it's good to know that the union is there if something does come up) The next time you talk with the UPS drivers on your area ask how many late airs they have had in the last month.
We are accountable for all our actions.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I will be the first to admit I don't entirely understand the workings of UPS. I often ask the three brown drivers who cover my route about their job. I'm slowly but surely learning the board as I swap just to see how it compares to the powerpad.

I'll have to ask about the layoffs because this is the first I've heard about the 'bumped back to the station'. If that's true, (non sarcastic) I'm floored by the good will of the company and the work of the union, but again all I've heard from my buddies in Brown around me is how useless Teamsters has been as they've been more concerned about saving jobs then people being overworked.

As far as the financials go, yes in a down economy FedEx does suffer more then UPS largely because of FedEx's reliance on the Express division for revenue. The Express division has huge overhead (as does UPS's) but the fact that you guys ship more ground packages means that you also fly fewer planes. Both our companies are facing huge drops in volume but its a lot cheaper to drive an empty truck then to fly an empty plane.

I'm sorry to flat out say I think FedEx is a superior because of the lack of Union, but from a Management perspective FedEx has more flexibility. If I'm running a business and my FedEx driver misses commitment I know he'll be a lot more accountable then if my UPS teamster protected driver does. Not to be devils advocate but accountability is a good thing.

I will be the first to admit FedEx may be superior in some ways, but the financials do say otherwise -which as you know is the bottom line I was getting at. To be honest, I'd rather have my package shipped FedEx if at all. :laughing:

About the layoffs - it's not really good will by the company except maybe in negotiations.

If you think about it: Let's be theorhetical and fast forward to January when the Christmas rush is over and the package volume decreases.

It does not make sense to have part-timers working inside that have 6 months with the company while a 3 year driver is out of work because he/she is at the bottom of the seniority list for full-time drivers and routes are cut. It is likely that same driver started working as a part-time employee and got "in" the full-time list through the seniority process. Therefore in this way they should have the right to work over that lower seniority part-time employee.

Broke

Yeah but like... Express employees can't do ground work. That's not how it works. Ground drivers (or their bosses) own the routes and the rights to the packages. If FedEx Corp hired Express drivers to do that work I'm pretty sure Ground could sue the crap out of FedEx Corp for unfair competition. FedEx Ground (or RPS) are subcontracted drivers for FedEx Corp. FedEx Express are FedEx employees.

(I know this is gonna light a fire about the whole is/isn't a contractor debate but that's how it was set up when FedEx bought RPS)
What I'm saying is that Fedex promotes the Ground division more than Express. A lot of the packages that used to be shipped overnight are now being shipped With Ground.

Washu234

What I'm saying is that Fedex promotes the Ground division more than Express. A lot of the packages that used to be shipped overnight are now being shipped With Ground.

Do you believe that the switch to preferred ground is FedEx's fault? I assure you they'd rather be making their dollars off express shipments then their pennies off ground. The market is calling for slower shipments and FedEx is advertising to the market. Lower incomes = less spending = slower/less expensive shipping.

In a recession people won't spend $40 on a FedEx Box to get it there tomorrow when they can Ground it for $10 and get it there in 3 days. Sure FedEx could raise the Ground rates but then people would use UPS Ground services.

FedEx courier

Do you believe that the switch to preferred ground is FedEx's fault? I assure you they'd rather be making their dollars off express shipments then their pennies off ground. The market is calling for slower shipments and FedEx is advertising to the market. Lower incomes = less spending = slower/less expensive shipping.

In a recession people won't spend $40 on a FedEx Box to get it there tomorrow when they can Ground it for $10 and get it there in 3 days. Sure FedEx could raise the Ground rates but then people would use UPS Ground services.

My theory is that Fedex wants to move a lot of service to the Ground side because of the disposable workforce at Ground. If what your saying was correct they wouldn't even offer "Ground" service it would all be under the umbrella name of "Express". Fedex has zero liability for "Ground" drivers because they are being called "IC's". If Fedex had it's way I believe they would have the entire system set up under Ground. It's very difficult for anybody to believe that drivers who are working 12 hour days with no overtime or benefits aren't making Fedex money. Fedex Express offers the same 2day and Express saver services that Ground does so it could easily move to Express and be done. The problem from Fedex's standpoint is that you would actually have Employees delivering/picking up/handling the Freight and there would be no question (not that there is anyway) that Express is not an airline.
It seems to me that Fedex's standpoint is why have workers when you can outsource them. You are not really responsible for taking care of them and you can still hold them to your standards but they aren't really your employees. Just make them wear your uniform and put open and close times on them.

capta320

This latest FedEx management tactic is really starting to piss me off. At this point, it seems fairly obvious that Fred is hiring people to blitz sites like the BC with a storm of lies. So far, it hasn't worked very well, but FedEx4Life and his ilk are just like the moronic plants who post pro-FedEx comments on Brownbailout.com and other sites. It's not a coincidence that all of these idiots suddenly appeared just as the RLA controversy heated-up. I'm guessing they send letters to politicians too, and get a few bucks from Herr Smith.

It's too bad FedEx does such a crappy job of choosing them. It's not very challenging to ferret them out and then expose them as fakes. One would think that managers or sales staff would be pressured into doing this, but the current batch of trolls are so pathetic that they must actually be non-employees supplied with a FedEx Stooge Handbook in order to appear "credible". Maybe some of them can't read the book.

I guess Fred must really be worried if he has to start hiring transients and out-of-work telephone salespeople to do his bidding. As usual, being a cheapskate pays big "dividends"....like FedEx4Life and his fellow troll refuse. All "Einsteins"...each and every one.

This really shows just how low and dirty Fred S will go to get his way on the RLA. He smells so bad right now that the flies won't land on him anymore. Keep it up Fred, because every knife you stab us with is memorized. You'll get yours when we sign those cards and make you open up that big fat wallet instead of your mouth.[/QUOTE

Yes sure seems that way. Funny isnt it that when Congress on recess the trolls are no where to be found. No way they are FFEDEX Employees. Are management or Board of Dir picked by Czar Fred to bash UPS. What goes around comes around. Now its coming around. Payback mmmm will cost Czar Fred Mils..

capta320

I will be the first to admit FedEx may be superior in some ways, but the financials do say otherwise -which as you know is the bottom line I was getting at. To be honest, I'd rather have my package shipped FedEx if at all. :laughing:

About the layoffs - it's not really good will by the company except maybe in negotiations.

If you think about it: Let's be theorhetical and fast forward to January when the Christmas rush is over and the package volume decreases.

It does not make sense to have part-timers working inside that have 6 months with the company while a 3 year driver is out of work because he/she is at the bottom of the seniority list for full-time drivers and routes are cut. It is likely that same driver started working as a part-time employee and got "in" the full-time list through the seniority process. Therefore in this way they should have the right to work over that lower seniority part-time employee.

At Express it is the opposite. They take care of PT employees by giving more hours than many Full-time employees. Long term drivers sent home without pay while a PT driver works on their day off. How sad is that No wonder a Union is needed..

FedEX 4 Life

At Express it is the opposite. They take care of PT employees by giving more hours than many Full-time employees. Long term drivers sent home without pay while a PT driver works on their day off. How sad is that No wonder a Union is needed..
Part timers cannot work over 30 hours a week.Do you even work for Fedex or just making stuff up?

I smell another fake Fedex TROLL!!

Your missing a key part of the plan here.They are not only outscourcing but the employees that they have to keep are becoming contractors of their own company.They are turning you into a contractor by stripping your benefits package,simulated raises where behind your back adding the cost to your medical,shift differentials,retiree medical,hypothetical pension plan that is worth exponentially less than the traditional,401 match ect.Your missing the most important ingredient here they have direct control over you at the same time,in other words,your the contractor now but you work for them its all about the control,and not having to pay for your benefits,and keeping your wage suppressed its win win for them,dont be surprised to see a shift back to express with some of these services not only is it confusing to everyone but its becoming cheaper to have you do it anyway.I think you called it, college kids,they dont need you anymore.This outscourcing is not a new concept either has been part of the deal since its inception,but treating people like corporate human atm machines is a new thing.What have they lost?

Good Luck All,
Were XXXXXX!

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Part timers cannot work over 30 hours a week.Do you even work for Fedex or just making stuff up?

Actually Troll 4 Life, this is quite common. I see it all the time...I'm doing good to get my minimum because Uncle Fredward doesn't want them to just send me home and give it to me, but there are always part-timers running 6 days a week and doubles.

Oh, I forgot, at MEMH, you don't have that problem...:peaceful:

FedEx courier

One big issue is that there isn't anyone to go to when things happen like part-timers are getting more hours then full-timers. I know people like "Fedex4life" believe that the companies Personell reps are totally honest and will side with you against the company but in reality that is just a joke. Anyone who has complained about something like this knows exactly what I mean. The truth of the matter is that FedEx personel reps work for the company and are basically in place to prevent lawsuits. That is it. The company has made certain that all their so called rules only benefit them. The big rule is that there aren't any rules, the rule is whatever benefits the local management team is the rule.
It would be very interesting to watch what happened to some of these managers that get off on being so tough right now. They are so used to having nobody that is able to stand up to them, what are they going to do if this RLA change happens and they actually have to abide by rules. The powertrips that they get off on will be left unfullfilled. You know the tought guys that get off on having a little power and pushing couriers around. I wonder if half them will quit.

FedEx courier

If FedEx has all these rules then why don't you post them or where you can get a copy of them. You should notice that every rule you find can be negated by the term "operational need". I noticed you called me "dumb" on my reputation comments. I'm not even going to let you fire me up other than saying if YOU thought I was "smart" then I would consider that far worse of a classification. Then I'm forgetting that I'm talking about someone who claims to have worked for Express for almost 20 years and didn't know what a Basic Skills Test was. :happy2:
Everyone has heard your rants and attacks on people for no reason. Why don't you realize that you do not add anything to the discussions on this forum other than making your anti-union argument look even worse. You know very little about the system that you seems to want to defend to the death? I truly feel sorry for you. Shouldn't you be lobbying some small town chamber of commerce to drum up fear about this RLA change instead of waisting time here. Then again just continue what your doing, everyone needs a good laugh I guess.:happy-very::funny:

FedEX 4 Life

Lets see if this makes sense.I have a Full timer and a part timer working.Full timers and Part timers at Fedex make the same wage.Let me send the full timer home,even though i have to pay his minimum,as capta said,full timers are sent home WITHOUT pay.Let me keep the part timer and give him more hourse.Wheres the logic in that?I still have to pay the full timer his minimum.How is Fedex saving money by sending full timers home and making part timers work overtime?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Part-timers frequently work over 30 hours per week, even though they aren't supposed to under current directives. It all depends on the location, staffing levels etc. If they can get a low-seniority part-timer to work at $16 per hour or so instead of a topped-out full-timer management can and will give the hours to the part-timer.

When will you apologists out there, get it? It is the underlying philosophy of FedEx to take advantage of the employee and flaunt "policy" whenever it is convenient to do so or it saves them money. The same goes for the troll crowd, like FedEx4Life, who defend FedEx no matter what, even when they ignore the P&P on a constant basis.

This is why we desperately need a union at FedEx. Upper management holds all the cards all of the time, and then expects us to play the game as if it's not rigged. It's impossible to win under this scenario, and that's the way Fred likes it. He knows losing the RLA exemption will end his iron-fisted rule, and he's fighting it like the little despot that he is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Your missing a key part of the plan here.They are not only outscourcing but the employees that they have to keep are becoming contractors of their own company.They are turning you into a contractor by stripping your benefits package,simulated raises where behind your back adding the cost to your medical,shift differentials,retiree medical,hypothetical pension plan that is worth exponentially less than the traditional,401 match ect.Your missing the most important ingredient here they have direct control over you at the same time,in other words,your the contractor now but you work for them its all about the control,and not having to pay for your benefits,and keeping your wage suppressed its win win for them,dont be surprised to see a shift back to express with some of these services not only is it confusing to everyone but its becoming cheaper to have you do it anyway.I think you called it, college kids,they dont need you anymore.This outscourcing is not a new concept either has been part of the deal since its inception,but treating people like corporate human atm machines is a new thing.What have they lost?

Good Luck All,
Were XXXXXX!

Hooray!! Another person who gets it. Are you paying attention, FedEx4Life? By the way, have you noticed how many new people are coming onto this site to contradict the trolls and the purple bleeders? Keep it up, FedEx4Life!! You're winning the war for the other side!

FedEx courier

If FedEx is paying "FedEx4life" to spread disinformation then FedEx should ask for their money back or ask for 2 more stops per hour instead of one:happy2:. It's no secret to anybody how part timers are used at FedEx. Most at the low end of the payscale, most happy to get any hours they can. I've seen part timers rotated allowing FedEx not to replace a full time courier that was fired. They are worked long hours when needed and when they aren't needed they are guarenteed very little so they aren't much of a liability to FedEx.
No 40 hour vacation, low end of the payscale, easy to control, most will do anything for extra hours, completely flexible with no guarentee on hours. In most cases full timers and part timers don't make the same wage as FedEx4life has said. Most people with multiple years at FedEx have gone full time. If FedEx had it's way the entire workforce would be part time and totally flexible.

FedEx courier

Yeah but like... Express employees can't do ground work. That's not how it works. Ground drivers (or their bosses) own the routes and the rights to the packages. If FedEx Corp hired Express drivers to do that work I'm pretty sure Ground could sue the crap out of FedEx Corp for unfair competition. FedEx Ground (or RPS) are subcontracted drivers for FedEx Corp. FedEx Express are FedEx employees.

(I know this is gonna light a fire about the whole is/isn't a contractor debate but that's how it was set up when FedEx bought RPS)

The joke of this is that Ground and Express are run by the same people. Ground would never sue Express and vice versa because the same puppet master is working the strings.