FedEx loses lawsuit

vantexan

Oh, but all I ever hear is that the company just takes everything from Express to prop up Ground. It's total BS of course, but that's just one more reason to mock Express.
Very misleading...the company took away our traditional pension and gave us small raises if any at all to pay for building Ground infrastructure.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Very misleading...the company took away our traditional pension and gave us small raises if any at all to pay for building Ground infrastructure.

Sammy likes to tell tale tales. Yes, Fred bought RPS and built the Ground infrastructure with Express profits. He's been around since RPS, so he knows this, but he'd prefer to put out misleading information.

It will be fine

Sammy likes to tell tale tales. Yes, Fred bought RPS and built the Ground infrastructure with Express profits. He's been around since RPS, so he knows this, but he'd prefer to put out misleading information.
On our end they've been using the weak profit margins at express to justify keep our compensation down. They'll tell whatever story fits their current narrative.

Back on topic though. The problem here is Ground management will put all the blame on the contractor. They'll view it as an isolated incident so they don't have to address it properly. Ground management could not care less about safety. They pay it lip service, but the second a safety concern might jeopardize profit they tune out. Their constant disregard for my people's safety is appalling and overcoming that is one of the biggest challenges of being a contractor.
A ruling like this is meant to be punitive to ensure it won't happen again. I doubt anyone in PGH gets the message though.

bbsam

Staff member
Oh, be honest. Ground profits went exactly the same place. It's not like Ground finally started making money ten years after being bought.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh, be honest. Ground profits went exactly the same place. It's not like Ground finally started making money ten years after being bought.

Smith has plowed every cent possible into Ground, even after it was making huge profit margins...still using Express profits to build the Ground tower of :censored2: even higher.

bbsam

Staff member
Smith has plowed every cent possible into Ground, even after it was making huge profit margins...still using Express profits to build the Ground tower of :censored2: even higher.
So it's all Express money? Y'all the victims and yet we make the greater ROI and get paid less? And we should feel sorry for you? Nah. I don't think so.

MAKAVELI

So it's all Express money? Y'all the victims and yet we make the greater ROI and get paid less? And we should feel sorry for you? Nah. I don't think so.
Who is this we you are talking about? Because your drivers might make less but not you.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Oh, but all I ever hear is that the company just takes everything from Express to prop up Ground. It's total BS of course, but that's just one more reason to mock Express.
So where did they get the money for Ground's infrastructure and new buildings? Donations?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Getting back to the original topic......FedEx naturally has no remorse and probably no action plan so this never happens again except for maybe firing the Ground driver. What did they tell the family involved with the deaths, that the accident was due to operational needs?

This whole Ground system is worse than pathetic. No wonder why their FMCSA scores suck. I wish the DOT would pull Ground off the road permanently.

vantexan

It's just the reality. FedEx has been on two major missions in the last 20 years, to build a Ground network that as structured would be very profitable, and to show year over year growth to Wall Street, which Ground is the key to as the overnight market is "saturated" according to Fred S. Ground may be paying their way now, but getting to that point required sacrificing their promises to Express employees. Like employees in most companies we're looking for pay and benefits that will give us a decent life. That Ground drivers get less pay and mostly no benefits is indicative of how tough having a decent life is in this environment. Everybody with some kind of power wants to cash in, and they want the rest of us to do without so that they can cash in. Maybe not everybody, but it sure seems that way. What it comes down to is in the pursuit of profit too many jobs were shipped abroad. The economic pie has shrunk, and those with power are going to make damn sure they get their's and the rest of us can eat :censored2: if we don't like it. Thank goodness I managed getting even a small pension before the major screw over took place.

bbsam

Staff member
It's just the reality. FedEx has been on two major missions in the last 20 years, to build a Ground network that as structured would be very profitable, and to show year over year growth to Wall Street, which Ground is the key to as the overnight market is "saturated" according to Fred S. Ground may be paying their way now, but getting to that point required sacrificing their promises to Express employees. Like employees in most companies we're looking for pay and benefits that will give us a decent life. That Ground drivers get less pay and mostly no benefits is indicative of how tough having a decent life is in this environment. Everybody with some kind of power wants to cash in, and they want the rest of us to do without so that they can cash in. Maybe not everybody, but it sure seems that way. What it comes down to is in the pursuit of profit too many jobs were shipped abroad. The economic pie has shrunk, and those with power are going to make damn sure they get their's and the rest of us can eat :censored2: if we don't like it. Thank goodness I managed getting even a small pension before the major screw over took place.
I agree. The fact also remains that RPS and the rest of Caliber System was still very profitable at the time it was bought. It's not as if Fred came along to save a floundering, failing company. RPS had steady growth and profit for years. Where do you think those profits went? Same place they go now. Fedex is still ruled by a worn out, snake oil sell job of economic theory from the 80's--trickle down economics.

bbsam

Staff member
We could. They have had a couple scares of stations going union before. They just drop the hammer and start diverting volume.
Where? I know some stations have had scares with package handlers.

Anyway, there's 0 interest that i can see for a union.

STFXG

Where? I know some stations have had scares with package handlers.

Anyway, there's 0 interest that i can see for a union.
This was years ago. Probably ten years. A station in New York attempted and FedEx just diverted the volume to nearby terminals. Or so I was told. Could be b.s.

I don't see anyone wanting to unionize either. Or the point of it. All it would lead to is a bunch of contracts not getting renewed.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This was years ago. Probably ten years. A station in New York attempted and FedEx just diverted the volume to nearby terminals. Or so I was told. Could be b.s.
I don't see anyone wanting to unionize either. Or the point of it. All it would lead to is a bunch of contracts not getting renewed.

There was a station in MA that almost voted on union, years ago. At the last minute, the Teamsters shut it down and pulled out. Someone probably paid off by Fred.