Fedex love fest.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
BackFuture54.jpg
BackFuture54.jpg

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Is all of that kind of stuff really necessary? I know some of you are bitter at realizing that you can't loaf on the clock anymore, but can't we all be friends? LOL!!

El Morado Diablo

Is all of that kind of stuff really necessary? I know some of you are bitter at realizing that you can't loaf on the clock anymore, but can't we all be friends? LOL!!

This comment reminds me of a manager I once had who was bragging about how many hours he spent at the station. I asked him why he was so proud of spending 10-12 hours a day doing something everyone else could do in 3 or 4, tops. It's funny how EVERY minute matters to managers when it comes to the hourlies (being on time, coding, deliveries, etc) yet it doesn't seem to apply to them. If FedEx came up with a SPH equivalent for it's manager's effectiveness they would all be on "focus routes".

Glorifiedpackmule

This comment reminds me of a manager I once had who was bragging about how many hours he spent at the station. I asked him why he was so proud of spending 10-12 hours a day doing something everyone else could do in 3 or 4, tops. It's funny how EVERY minute matters to managers when it comes to the hourlies (being on time, coding, deliveries, etc) yet it doesn't seem to apply to them. If FedEx came up with a SPH equivalent for it's manager's effectiveness they would all be on "focus routes".

Amen.

jmeti000

Its because managers are salary...They get paid the same whether it takes them 3 hrs or 30 hrs to do a job.

CJinx

Aren't your managers salary? It doesn't really matter how long they're around as long as their job gets done. Hourly employees cost more money the longer they take to do their jobs, so it is in the manager's best interest that you do things as efficiently as possible.

El Morado Diablo

Aren't your managers salary? It doesn't really matter how long they're around as long as their job gets done. Hourly employees cost more money the longer they take to do their jobs, so it is in the manager's best interest that you do things as efficiently as possible.

You're missing the point. It gets old hearing management question what you do, when you do it, for every minute of your day. Especially when it comes from a guy who spends HOURS doing meaningless stuff like sweeping the bays when he could be doing something more useful.

TUT

Funny I remember when Express was treated like Royalty and all sales pitches were about Express. Now we have been kicked to the curb and thrown under the bus. I am discusted.

Did you shed a tear or give aid to those in the steel industry? Paper industry? Today there would only be one major package carrier and then USPS and a shell Federal Express team.

59 Dano

You'd think that would be obvious.

59 Dano

You're missing the point. It gets old hearing management question what you do, when you do it, for every minute of your day. Especially when it comes from a guy who spends HOURS doing meaningless stuff like sweeping the bays when he could be doing something more useful.

It's his job to watch your hours. If he wants to waste his time sweeping the bays, who cares? It's not costing anyone anything.

El Morado Diablo

It's his job to watch your hours. If he wants to waste his time sweeping the bays, who cares? It's not costing anyone anything.

I know the difference between salary and hourly. If he wants to work 60+ hour weeks for $50,000 (or whatever starting OPS managers make) by all means let him. Why waste your time doing that when you could get your real work done and go home at a decent hour?

As for "It's not costing anyone anything", I'm not sure upper management feels the same as you do. I mean, it's not like they aren't about to get rid of a bunch of salaried positions that "aren't costing anyone anything" while they sit on their asses in some cubicle or sweep bays or anything.

CJinx

If the manager is out sweeping the dock then the station doesn't have to contract a company to clean the building. That guy's not losing his job. His counterparts putting in 30 hours a week and getting paid salary with the expectation of 40? They're the ones that should be on the chopping block.

El Morado Diablo

If the manager is out sweeping the dock then the station doesn't have to contract a company to clean the building. That guy's not losing his job. His counterparts putting in 30 hours a week and getting paid salary with the expectation of 40? They're the ones that should be on the chopping block.

I don't disagree but I'm having a hard time finding the right way to phrase this particular individuals efforts to you.

The reason he spent so much time piddling around doing things vendors (building maintenance and vehicle washers) were paid to do was due to his complete incompetence when it came to do his managerial duties. He would waste hours on stuff like this, shoveling snow, trips to the hardware store for supplies, etc while he ignored or put off the stuff he was actually paid to do. His efforts earned him terrible SFA scores, a trip to manager re-education class and a realization he should transfer while he still had a job (Sorry undisclosed Midwestern station. We've heard via the grapevine he hasn't learned a thing.).