Fedex Pal Labels

ncamara

The misload problem can be fixed pretty quickly if the local management really cared.... 1) Insist that drivers record every single misload in the DIAD. This give visibility to the situation and improvement can be tracked. 2) Work with every loader on methods, ensuring they place every package where the handling instruction says. Make sure all packages are loded so handling instructions are visible. 3) Supervisors audit the loads, checking that the right package is in the right car, and right shelf 4) Follow up daily with the loaders on the misload report from the DIAD. 5) Look for and correct any AMS alias problems or DPS dispatch problems. The above is just back to the basics methods, and I've seen it work many times.
6) Give the preloader an additional 10-20 minutes to be able to do #2 effectively... Is it worth it to rush someone who is only getting $10 an hour to load 4 trucks, expecting them to be perfect yet with impossible odds? As a consequence, the 4 drivers will EASILY tack on an additional hour collectively during the week looking for missing packages for example, but instead at over $45 an hour.

pretzel_man

6) Give the preloader an additional 10-20 minutes to be able to do #2 effectively... Is it worth it to rush someone who is only getting $10 an hour to load 4 trucks, expecting them to be perfect yet with impossible odds? As a consequence, the 4 drivers will EASILY tack on an additional hour collectively during the week looking for missing packages for example, but instead at over $45 an hour.

Even at $10 / hour, I expect a preloader to be able to work safely, efficiently, and accurately. Proper setup, training, and follow up.....

This is nothing new. Back to the basics.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I had a pkg address 2734 Paled to 2743 and a 2010A S. 9th st paled to 39th st. Both Worldship generated labels. Hard to blame a preloader for system errors.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Spoke to a Pepsi guy the other that said UPS sold them the dispatch software to they can plan their load and stops more efficiently. He said he didn't like it as it didn't know things like traffic and whatnot. Just telling ya what the guy told me, take it for what it's worth.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Spoke to a Pepsi guy the other that said UPS sold them the dispatch software to they can plan their load and stops more efficiently. He said he didn't like it as it didn't know things like traffic and whatnot. Just telling ya what the guy told me, take it for what it's worth.

There is no software available that will account for every variable that we face on a daily basis. This is where area knowledge is key. For example, my EDD has me delivering to a school during their release time. The staff has asked me to not deliver during that time. When I start that residential section I go through EDD and if I have pkgs for the school I will break trace and deliver that street and the adjacent one.

cino321

There is no software available that will account for every variable that we face on a daily basis. This is where area knowledge is key. For example, my EDD has me delivering to a school during their release time. The staff has asked me to not deliver during that time. When I start that residential section I go through EDD and if I have pkgs for the school I will break trace and deliver that street and the adjacent one.

Truth of the matter is that the majority of routes out there would I have missed pieces everyday if the drivers followed EDD.

PAS will never work because it's being used as a tool to reduce preload labor, and not to effectively dispatch routes.

For instance, we have been instructed to send in all off routes before 1400. Fine, so now I have to spend 20-40 minutes sorting the load, not to mention the time I've already wasted looking for stuff that I needed to deliver to make room to set up the rest of the load, because my shelves are stacked out. If I find a off route, I have to either deliver it, which is a complete waste of fuel and labor, but has to be done, or sheet it missed, and screw the customer.

If the preload did their job, I'd be a very productive driver.

One would think UPS would look at this realistically. We pay the preloaders a very low wage, let's be more generous with their hours and use them effectively, and save on drivers' hours.

Let me give you guys a quick story. Last Friday I had a off route. I went to go deliver it, as per instructions from management, it took me 20 minutes to deliver and about 2 miles of driving. Ring the bell, no one is home. Get back to the center, only to find out the package was a same day will call and the customer is waiting for me to get into the building. Complete waste. In this case two people didn't do their job; the preloader and the OMS. The preloader misloaded the package into my load and the OMS knew I had the package because I sent a message through the diad that I had a package that didn't belong to my route.

HomeDelivery

at HD division of Ground, we preload our own vehicles ourselves... (but not get paid for it :P)

at least i'll know that every parcel i packed / sorted in my own delivery van is going to be attempted the first time...and if we catch a mis-sort during the preload, we immediately give it to a manager for them to re-route it to the correct van

W

westsideworma

The misload problem can be fixed pretty quickly if the local management really cared....

1) Insist that drivers record every single misload in the DIAD. This give visibility to the situation and improvement can be tracked.

2) Work with every loader on methods, ensuring they place every package where the handling instruction says. Make sure all packages are loded so handling instructions are visible.

3) Supervisors audit the loads, checking that the right package is in the right car, and right shelf

4) Follow up daily with the loaders on the misload report from the DIAD.

5) Look for and correct any AMS alias problems or DPS dispatch problems.

The above is just back to the basics methods, and I've seen it work many times.

While I don't disagree with you pretzel man, the thing is with the old system (alpha charts), a lot of this (things you listed) wasn't needed. At least in the area I loaded it wasn't.

Learning the routes absolutely sucked at first, but once you knew them, you rarely misloaded and there were no system flips or out of syncs because all there was to go by was the shipping label, if you didn't know the street you didn't load it, end of story.

W

westsideworma

I had a pkg address 2734 Paled to 2743 and a 2010A S. 9th st paled to 39th st. Both Worldship generated labels. Hard to blame a preloader for system errors.

No it isn't, we try to do it all the time and it infuriates me

especially with the new ink stamp PAL's, the address isn't even shown for them to compare it to oh well I guess :angry: