FedEx Pension lies

Goldilocks

Did you know if you decided to retire at 55 or up, you will be given your PPP (POVERTY POVERTY POVERTY) retirement account AND you must start TAKING your Traditional Pension account. But if you left the company before 55 you do not have to start drawing from it until 60 and you will get your PPP. Go figure....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Did you know if you decided to retire at 55 or up, you will be given your PPP (POVERTY POVERTY POVERTY) retirement account AND you must start TAKING your Traditional Pension account. But if you left the company before 55 you do not have to start drawing from it until 60 and you will get your PPP. Go figure....

Hey Goldi!! Get your acronyms correct. PPP stands for "Piss-Poor Pension".

DontThrowPackages

Found some cities in northern Nicaragua where you can get by on $500 a month, live very well on a $1000. Bring a generator, be sure to stock up on water when it's on, but they're safe and the climate is decent. Modern communications means American TV and Internet. The PPA to me means cash out and escape, but then I'm one of the lucky ones who got a traditional pension too, albeit not all I should've gotten. Know a lady there who rents a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house for $200, a black American guy who rents a 5 bedroom for $250. You can struggle here, or go find options.
Costa Rica, Panama, Thailand and the Philippines are also viable options. A couple can easily get by, a single person as well, with the poor retirement payout due them/him/her.

vantexan

Costa Rica, Panama, Thailand and the Philippines are also viable options. A couple can easily get by, a single person as well, with the poor retirement payout due them/him/her.
I've looked at them all since the mid-90's, can give positives and negatives for each. There's no one size fits all, enough variety to please most people. The main thing is most countries in Latin America and Southeast Asia have at least one city or town that's very liveable and affordable. Often many places. And yes it's a shame we have to even consider leaving the country but this is the hand we've been dealt. But if people want to work into their 70's because they think there's no choice that's their business. Our management may think they have me over a barrel, that I have no choice but to keep working because they've put me in that position. They're wrong.

DontThrowPackages

I've looked at them all since the mid-90's, can give positives and negatives for each. There's no one size fits all, enough variety to please most people. The main thing is most countries in Latin America and Southeast Asia have at least one city or town that's very liveable and affordable. Often many places. And yes it's a shame we have to even consider leaving the country but this is the hand we've been dealt. But if people want to work into their 70's because they think there's no choice that's their business. Our management may think they have me over a barrel, that I have no choice but to keep working because they've put me in that position. They're wrong.
I watched an episode of "Inside Man" and the topic was overseas medical care. Americans are flying to India to have major surgery that could have them filing for bankruptcy had they had it done in the states. The show mostly focused on a Bangkok hospital. This hospital looked like the four seasons hotel. The prices quoted for different procedures seemed like the patient could just write a check. IMHO, the care abroad seems better than in many parts of this country. The point is, there are options. And moving to Chiang Mai, paying 250 a month for a nice Condo, cheap food and plenty of things to do isn't the worst retirement option.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I watched an episode of "Inside Man" and the topic was overseas medical care. Americans are flying to India to have major surgery that could have them filing for bankruptcy had they had it done in the states. The show mostly focused on a Bangkok hospital. This hospital looked like the four seasons hotel. The prices quoted for different procedures seemed like the patient could just write a check. IMHO, the care abroad seems better than in many parts of this country. The point is, there are options. And moving to Chiang Mai, paying 250 a month for a nice Condo, cheap food and plenty of things to do isn't the worst retirement option.

Yep. Medical tourism is big, especially to India since their educational system is excellent. My whole issue with this is that it's a shame many of us can't choose to retire within our own country. This is what pisses me off the most about Fred's lies about our Traditional Pension Plan. For old timers like myself and van, that is one of the reasons we stayed. It wasn't a Teamster plan, but it was relatively decent, especially when compared to the non-plan we have now.

If I knew what was going to happen, would I have stayed? Hell, no!! But remember that back in the Federal Express days we had excellent insurance, twice yearly profit sharing, regular raises, and an actual pension. Bitter? You bet. Frederick Weasel Smith killed all of it because he could, thanks to his precious RLA, and he fact that he is an evil, lying, rat bastard without an ounce of integrity. FedEx never was in danger...Smith just saw profit he could steal from employees, and he did it. It wasn't "just business", but a calculated program to take as much as possible from hourlies. There was, and never has been, an economic or operational basis for any of it...just greed.

He screwed every single long-term hourly straight in the ass while lying that we were "struggling". I really hope someone gets him...literally. The MF has it coming.

vantexan

Yep. Medical tourism is big, especially to India since their educational system is excellent. My whole issue with this is that it's a shame many of us can't choose to retire within our own country. This is what pisses me off the most about Fred's lies about our Traditional Pension Plan. For old timers like myself and van, that is one of the reasons we stayed. It wasn't a Teamster plan, but it was relatively decent, especially when compared to the non-plan we have now.

If I knew what was going to happen, would I have stayed? Hell, no!! But remember that back in the Federal Express days we had excellent insurance, twice yearly profit sharing, regular raises, and an actual pension. Bitter? You bet. Frederick Weasel Smith killed all of it because he could, thanks to his precious RLA, and he fact that he is an evil, lying, rat bastard without an ounce of integrity. FedEx never was in danger...Smith just saw profit he could steal from employees, and he did it. It wasn't "just business", but a calculated program to take as much as possible from hourlies. There was, and never has been, an economic or operational basis for any of it...just greed.

He screwed every single long-term hourly straight in the ass while lying that we were "struggling". I really hope someone gets him...literally. The MF has it coming.
They sent out nice glossy info every year saying what we'd get if we stuck with them. Right up until they announced they were terminating the plan. Along with telling us we'd top out in 7-8 years. Our DM told us they just couldn't afford the traditional pension anymore. If I knew in '98 what I know now I'd have never gotten rehired. But what did I know, as you said it used to be a decent deal. I have a feeling they'll keep raising starting pay as a way to get new suckers in. So if I stay until I'm 60, I'm 53, I'll be making what newhires make. Screw it, I'm going to Nicaragua.

vantexan

That sounds just like a segment "60 Minutes" did about 10 years ago. Had like 6 registered nurses waiting on each patient at that nice Thai hospital.

DontThrowPackages

That sounds just like a segment "60 Minutes" did about 10 years ago. Had like 6 registered nurses waiting on each patient at that nice Thai hospital.
I think I may have seen that episode as well. If there was a scene where 6 nurses came into a male patients room and all stood over him and prayed just before his surgery, then I saw it too.

DontThrowPackages

What's the tax on a 401k when it comes time to cash out? I was speaking to a coworker about retiring abroad. He said if he cashes out and buys a home, it will be seen as an investment and not taxed. That doesn't seem right but anyway. He said he'd rent out his new house and collect his IRS and live nicely.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What's the tax on a 401k when it comes time to cash out? I was speaking to a coworker about retiring abroad. He said if he cashes out and buys a home, it will be seen as an investment and not taxed. That doesn't seem right but anyway. He said he'd rent out his new house and collect his IRS and live nicely.

10% penalty plus taxed as income if you withdraw before 59.5 years of age. There is also a one time withdrawal without penalty, but you must be at least 55 and it's still taxed as income. Your coworker is incorrect. You can borrow against your 401k and pay yourself back the interest, but then you lose the income potential of the principal.

If you live abroad, there may be tax angles I'm not aware of, but they're not going to give you the full amount until you reach retirement age, regardless of the reason.

Serf

Actually Migrant worker, I've been curious but no one has asked. What was your turning point to the dark side? I remember you very distinctly when you first started posting.
Sorry for the late response. I've been busy working my other job. Which apparently is the theme at my station as secondary employment is mandatory to survive. My turning point was this past summer when the FedEx Nascar was being shown in our parking lot and simultaneously our Regional director sent out a letter explaining why limiting overtime for hourlies was "good for our health." And the light bulbs in our bathrooms were dead. And we had to go 2 months before receiving paper towels because "it was not in the budget." So the company is making millions every quarter, but for the month of July and August employees will be forced to defecate in the dark and not have towels to dry their hands after they wash them.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Hey, no bitchin' about crummy light bulbs and paper towels please!....we gotta be able to keep puttin' tires on Denny's car. Poo by flashlight and dry your hands on your pants, team member.

MAKAVELI

Sorry for the late response. I've been busy working my other job. Which apparently is the theme at my station as secondary employment is mandatory to survive. My turning point was this past summer when the FedEx Nascar was being shown in our parking lot and simultaneously our Regional director sent out a letter explaining why limiting overtime for hourlies was "good for our health." And the light bulbs in our bathrooms were dead. And we had to go 2 months before receiving paper towels because "it was not in the budget." So the company is making millions every quarter, but for the month of July and August employees will be forced to defecate in the dark and not have towels to dry their hands after they wash them.
That's when you start making anonymous phone calls to OSHA. It really pissed management off. Which is a plus.:D

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Don't take this in any way that I'm defending FedEx, but the light bulb/paper towel situation isn't FedEx, that's your SM or District Director pulling that. They decide what they're going to spend their budget on for stuff like that.

My SM Is real tight on some things but we've never had a problem getting paper towels or light bulbs. Hell, we even get free coffee/tea/hot chocolate.

It will be fine

I don't believe that's even a budget issue. Paper towels and light bulbs shouldn't be moving the needle on your budget. If they are, you suck at managing money. I'd bet it's just incompetence on the part of whoever is supposed to keep those stocked.
Never ascribe to malice that which can just as easily be incompetence. That's basically my mantra when dealing with management. They're not necessarily evil, just idiots.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Don't take this in any way that I'm defending FedEx, but the light bulb/paper towel situation isn't FedEx, that's your SM or District Director pulling that. They decide what they're going to spend their budget on for stuff like that.

My SM Is real tight on some things but we've never had a problem getting paper towels or light bulbs. Hell, we even get free coffee/tea/hot chocolate.

These are all minor expenses compared to the actual costs of running Express. It always amazes me how these morons will obsess over the annual toilet paper budget while they have couriers criss-crossing each other, uncovered routes, inoperative vehicles etc. In other words, they're worried about the little stuff while the fires of incompetence rage out of control. This is truly the mark of poor management.

Back on topic for one second. In my district, hours are way down due to massive PT hiring. When you're figuring out your "retirement", aim lower, because FedEx is certainly making it's laughable predictions based on you working at least 40 hours per week. Someone else had stated earlier that they were using 45 hours to make their calculations.

Please tell me how you save much of anything for a 401k if you're getting 37 hours a week. Oh,and figure in all of those deductibles and co-insurance too, which can basically be subtracted from your net income.

So, perhaps you should point out some of these facts when your SM starts being OCD about minor costs like coffee, water, and paper towels. By the way, the last time I checked, wiping your ass was a necessity, and so was washing your hands and having something to dry them on besides your pants. A call to the local Public Health authority should put a quick end to games like these. Or, maybe your SM's ass crack is stuck together and he/she smells bad.