Fedex Pilots Contract - Wow

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Did you see the part where I said "it's not easy"? It was not easy but it was worth it to me. It's also why not everybody is a pilot and why the compensation is good. My main point is that once I decided to become more informed I was enlightened and made a choice to go for it. As a ramp guy at United I heard many complain about how good the pilots had it but most didn't really know what was involved to Pursue the career nor did they have the desire to do so because it "seems so hard" or "they are all military" I heard those statements many times.
It is not easy but you will be successful if you stick to it. I am sure your opportunities are better now than mine were in the late '90's. I have helped a few people in the last few years to achieve their goals and they are progressing quite rapidly. Good luck and just don't give up!!
I'm going my own way because the debt load was unsustainable with a salary that rivals a preloader.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't think you understand how the pilots really look at others. I worked on the Ramp for United as a fueler and loader for 16 years. Initially I felt the same as you until I actually talked to a few pilots and asked them about their jobs. Most were very friendly and gave me advice on how to become a pilot. It was not easy but I did it and have no regrets, I was also older than most when I started. In the case of Fedex, they have probably close 70% former military pilots, UPS is probably closer to 50% military.
I think one of the biggest problems people have is that it is easy to look at a group and make generalizations without having all the facts. If you think pilots have such a great deal, learn about the job and go do it yourself. Otherwise make the best of your own situation. Ultimately we make our own choices. It is easier now than ever to become a pilot, but it is not easy. It is much easier to complain about what others have achieved.

So, you are a pilot where? I'd agree with the 70% ex-military rate, and coming up the "hard way" by instructing and then working for a low-paying commuter or flying freight in a Beech 99 or AT to build hours isn't easy. The KC-135, KC10, C17, C130 types have it made, with all of that multi and turbine time.

That said, our pilots have a sweet deal. The highest pay in the industry and very few cycles. Yes, they fly the back of the clock, but so do many international pilots. I know a few who came up the hard way and are now captains making serious money. However, FedEx isn't just the pilots or management, a fact that our "leaders" forget. The main reason the pilots went union was that Fred was trying to jack them around, and they weren't taking it. The in-house union was a failure, so they want ALPA, and never looked back.

We hourlies subsidize their high pay and incredible benefits, which none of them will discuss with us. Wonder why that is? Yes, it's hard to become a pilot with a major airline, but at FedEx we get the :censored2: end of the stick while they eat cake.

Ramp77

I don't think you're subsidizing the pilots. FedEx can hire employees to fill many positions that require no or little experience easily. It's harder for them to hire quality pilots. When I worked for United I realized that an experienced hourly employee was a greater asset to the company than company management realized and as a fueler for them we did some maintenance tasks. However, managements opinion was that hourly employees are a dime a dozen. I completely disagreed because I saw many things fall apart with new hires before they gained experience. I felt we should have been compensated better at the time and also thought the pilots were overpaid. Now, I don't think the pilots are overpaid, they have a much greater responsibility than most think and things often go wrong with weather or the aircraft. In most cases these situations are managed well but only due to good experience and training. Both of which take much more time to develop than any other position that I know of. FedEx makes enough money as a corporation to pay employees more but they don't have to until it is hard for them to hire then they will have no choice. Most pilots don't want to discuss what their compensation is because they know it's a no win situation when the person asking them the question has already formed an opinion. I know this first hand, both as an opinionated ramp guy at United and now as a pilot. However, if you do as I did and are genuinely interested in the career and speak to them about that first they will give you the information you want.

Ramp77

I'm going my own way because the debt load was unsustainable with a salary that rivals a preloader.

I don't know how old you are but if you really enjoy flying you can make it happen. I worked 3 jobs for almost 2 years and in the end it was worth giving up my social life and being completely exhausted at the end of the day. In any case good luck with whatever you do!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't think you're subsidizing the pilots. FedEx can hire employees to fill many positions that require no or little experience easily. It's harder for them to hire quality pilots. When I worked for United I realized that an experienced hourly employee was a greater asset to the company than company management realized and as a fueler for them we did some maintenance tasks. However, managements opinion was that hourly employees are a dime a dozen. I completely disagreed because I saw many things fall apart with new hires before they gained experience. I felt we should have been compensated better at the time and also thought the pilots were overpaid. Now, I don't think the pilots are overpaid, they have a much greater responsibility than most think and things often go wrong with weather or the aircraft. In most cases these situations are managed well but only due to good experience and training. Both of which take much more time to develop than any other position that I know of. FedEx makes enough money as a corporation to pay employees more but they don't have to until it is hard for them to hire then they will have no choice. Most pilots don't want to discuss what their compensation is because they know it's a no win situation when the person asking them the question has already formed an opinion. I know this first hand, both as an opinionated ramp guy at United and now as a pilot. However, if you do as I did and are genuinely interested in the career and speak to them about that first they will give you the information you want.

Of course you think this way...now that you are a pilot. Hourlies don't matter at FedEx, but you do because you're an almighty pilot. While I agree that flying a plane takes more skill and education than being a courier or RTD, we are severely undervalued, and you apparently agree that pilots carry the company.

Sorry, but my opinion of pilots in general (at least at FedEx) is that they think their demi-god :censored2: doesn't stink and that their jobs are the most critical in the company. You can fly in however many containers you want, but if I don't move the 5 AMJ's I carry, the freight doesn't get to the station.

This where I get pissed at someone who makes 200k to take the plane off, put it on autopilot, and then land it 4 hours later and head to a hotel, when I make less than $30 per hour and have crap benefits. Many FedEx employees make about half what I do, and don't even have the lousy retirement plan I was lucky enough to get from Weasel Smith.

Please start loading your own plane, transporting the freight, and lifting some boxes instead of waiting for the ramp agents to bring you your coffee, ice, and catered meals.

WE need a union, so we can force Mr. Smith to see that employees other than pilots also have value.

PSP...People Serving Pilots.

Ramp77

Of course you think this way...now that you are a pilot. Hourlies don't matter at FedEx, but you do because you're an almighty pilot. While I agree that flying a plane takes more skill and education than being a courier or RTD, we are severely undervalued, and you apparently agree that pilots carry the company.

Sorry, but my opinion of pilots in general (at least at FedEx) is that they think their demi-god :censored2: doesn't stink and that their jobs are the most critical in the company. You can fly in however many containers you want, but if I don't move the 5 AMJ's I carry, the freight doesn't get to the station.

This where I get :censored2: at someone who makes 200k to take the plane off, put it on autopilot, and then land it 4 hours later and head to a hotel, when I make less than $30 per hour and have crap benefits. Many FedEx employees make about half what I do, and don't even have the lousy retirement plan I was lucky enough to get from Weasel Smith.

Please start loading your own plane, transporting the freight, and lifting some boxes instead of waiting for the ramp agents to bring you your coffee, ice, and catered meals.

WE need a union, so we can force Mr. Smith to see that employees other than pilots also have value.

PSP...People Serving Pilots.

You definitely need a Union! But you don't apparently know much about being a pilot. If you did some research about what the job as a pilot requires and I guarantee you it's more than you think, you may have a different opinion. No ones keeping you from finding another job or making a different career choice. I also loaded airplanes that I flew when I was working for a smaller company. Also, if you had read the other posts you would know that I worked on the ramp for United for 16 years, so I do understand some of your frustration but the pilots aren't the problem.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You definitely need a Union! But you don't apparently know much about being a pilot. If you did some research about what the job as a pilot requires and I guarantee you it's more than you think, you may have a different opinion. No ones keeping you from finding another job or making a different career choice. I also loaded airplanes that I flew when I was working for a smaller company. Also, if you had read the other posts you would know that I worked on the ramp for United for 16 years, so I do understand some of your frustration but the pilots aren't the problem.

I'm a private pilot and know more about the industry and flying than you think. I also have quite a few captain friends, some of whom also started as PT handlers while they built time, so I know how it works.

Last edited:

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Well, why are u still a courier for Express, when u can join the ranks of a unionized pilot group? Are you almost at that retirement stage and just hanging on until then?

PS, thanks for inputting your experiences... so do u have to be 20-20 Vision without corrective lenses?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's nice to hear a different perspective of FedEx. Some people here go in attack mode if your opinion varies from theirs. Hopefully, you won't let that deter you from posting on here.

xfdxgroundmgmt

Rps / Ground has had double digit growth almost every year from the early 90's, with the exception of the housing collapse. So most of the infrastructure came out of grounds pocket. Express hasn't seen double digit growth since..................? We also had better benefits and stock sharing prior to becoming An FDX Co. After Dan took his Golden out, ground was stuck with lower wages for management. We at ground took that 5% out of our pockets because express, freight and kinkos did not make any money! We also lost 50% of our bonus again because express, freight and kinkos could not close their own purse strings. So as you always go on and on, well their you go.

bacha29

Rps / Ground has had double digit growth almost every year from the early 90's, with the exception of the housing collapse. So most of the infrastructure came out of grounds pocket. Express hasn't seen double digit growth since..................? We also had better benefits and stock sharing prior to becoming An FDX Co. After Dan took his Golden out, ground was stuck with lower wages for management. We at ground took that 5% out of our pockets because express, freight and kinkos did not make any money! We also lost 50% of our bonus again because express, freight and kinkos could not close their own purse strings. So as you always go on and on, well their you go.
I would have to agree. We had it better under Roadway. Remember when X bought us from BigR they had to pay with stock. They didn't have the cash. From that day going forward Ground was the cash cow that brought X into the big time with the money to buy American Freightways, Kinko's etc, with cash. In fact I was told by a R manager they tried to get us back and there were discussions about starting RPS back up again. I got out in May 2015 just before my state went ISP. Knew it was coming for more than 6 years. Not hearing much good news about ISP. Much harder to get a favorable set of terms as well as finding reliable people willing to work for a compensation package far below what the average UPS driver gets and the command and control over so called "independent contractors" is even more stringent than ever.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well, why are u still a courier for Express, when u can join the ranks of a unionized pilot group? Are you almost at that retirement stage and just hanging on until then?

PS, thanks for inputting your experiences... so do u have to be 20-20 Vision without corrective lenses?

I'm too old to start a career in aviation. When I learned to fly I couldn't meet the vision requirements for a Class 1 Medical, and radial keratotomies (laser eye surgery wasn't available then) weren't accepted by the FAA. I tried vision training, which didn't work, and involved a series of corrective contacts. At that point, I realized that a pilot career wasn't in the cards for me.

If I were younger, I'd go for it.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Sorry, but my opinion of pilots in general (at least at FedEx) is that they think their demi-god :censored2: doesn't stink and that their jobs are the most critical in the company.

Which means that the only difference between them and you is the vehicle.

You can fly in however many containers you want, but if I don't move the 5 AMJ's I carry, the freight doesn't get to the station.

How many AMJ's do you carry if they don't move the plane to the ramp?

BootsOnTarmac

He waits until the ULD's move from ramp side across the warehouse to the trucking side, just like every RTD. This may mean overtime hours. Which is the only way to make a true living at Express if not a pilot, manager, etc.

I encounter FedEx pilots every work day. I have yet to find one that does not show us courtesy or respect. Feeder pilots can be testy, but they are a different breed and just want to drop and go.

Last edited:

outtatime

Feeder pilots can be testy, but they are a different breed and just want to drop and go.
Sounds like most RTD's I know that sit in the break room waiting for their containers to be loaded instead of helping push them in the trailer, especially if the sort is running late.

bacha29

An interesting side note . Recently the Pentagon reported to Congress that currently they are more than 500 combat pilots short of full deployment and now are offering a bonus plan to try to get more of them to stay in the Air Force.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Sounds like most RTD's I know that sit in the break room waiting for their containers to be loaded instead of helping push them in the trailer, especially if the sort is running late.
When I was RTD, we were told by our manager NOT to help move cans at the stations unless they were empty. He didn't want any of his drivers getting injured.

vantexan

When I was RTD, we were told by our manager NOT to help move cans at the stations unless they were empty. He didn't want any of his drivers getting injured.
Our reload RTD does all the loading of containers. I don't just mean putting them on the truck, but scans and loads our freight into the cans. I was amazed when I first got here.