FedEx SameDay ??

Artee

Lots of early pulls lately. They say runway work in Memphis, but maybe it's just really screwed up and they're trying to get back some time.

Lots of late planes.
Going on third week of 15 minute positive pulls. Manager and others have mentioned that numbers are not being met on the delivery side, so they are trying to get all the planes into Memphis earlier and in turn sort goes down earlier and planes back out. Guess hoping to give a few more minutes on the delivery side of things.

Purplepackage

Going on third week of 15 minute positive pulls. Manager and others have mentioned that numbers are not being met on the delivery side, so they are trying to get all the planes into Memphis earlier and in turn sort goes down earlier and planes back out. Guess hoping to give a few more minutes on the delivery side of things.

they could do a 2 hour early pull, it wont help stations that are severely understaffed and dont have any hope of making p1

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Thank all the engineers that messed things up in the first place.

whenIgetthere

I totally agree. Especially at peak, UPS drivers get their routes loaded to insane numbers.

But like others said, every driver regardless of which company they work for has a tough, sometimes thankless job.

And we get the leave the building during peak at noon with 150 or more stops.

McFeely

Huge Member
I'm sorry but there's not one fedex route anywhere that compares to the level of work ups gives its FT drivers.

...and you get paid at least double what some of the Express drivers are making.

Every fedex truck I've ever seen looks like an 8 HR day request at ups.

This is exactly what Express is trying to do: 8 hour routes. They feel that they'd rather have more routes spreading the work out so they can pay less in overtime. Many drivers in my station are working ≤ 35 hours a week.

I work 4-10s and I can honestly say that I'm pretty worn out by the end of my 11-hour day. Could I do more? Sure. Do I want to do more? Not really. It's a job and it's not worth hurting my body any more than I already do. YMMV

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Good luck with that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know Upstate's route, not that I couldn't learn it and do it. I will say that yes you guys have a heck of a workload, no doubt. But for Upstate to claim that all FedEx does is envelopes is just totally stupid. Make no mistake we earn our money too and cover more area. We don't have the density you guys do, perhaps that's why you don't see as many packages on a FedEx vehicle.

The typical UPS route is far tighter and much more dense in terms of package count. Yes, they work very hard and don't have A/C in package cars. At the end of their contract, top wage is around $37.00 per hour for package car and more for feeders (which have A/C). On top of those wages, they also have an excellent pension (a real one), and superior benefits.

They also don't do on-calls like we do, so a straightline route is the norm, and far more efficient.

We make peanuts compared to them.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The typical UPS route is far tighter and much more dense in terms of package count. Yes, they work very hard and don't have A/C in package cars. At the end of their contract, top wage is around $37.00 per hour for package car and more for feeders (which have A/C). On top of those wages, they also have an excellent pension (a real one), and superior benefits.

They also don't do on-calls like we do, so a straightline route is the norm, and far more efficient.

We make peanuts compared to them.

We do on calls.

vantexan

We do on calls.
But he's right, your rts are different than ours. I was a stupid 28 year old who turned down a UPS mgr's offer for a fulltime job in Emporia, KS. Couldn't imagine at the time living there the rest of my working life and of course our mgrs filled our heads with the horrors of working for UPS. All the hard work you guys do pales in comparison to the disappointment of doing without, the constant struggling, that FedEx gave me. 20-20 hindsight.

MAKAVELI

UPS drivers don't load their own trucks or work the AM or PM sorts. For those of us that do I would say the workload would be comparable.

Cactus

I think UPS customers get one on call per day unlike Express where customers gut unlimited on calls which crosses the line of generosity into stupidity.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think UPS customers get one on call per day unlike Express where customers gut unlimited on calls which crosses the line of generosity into stupidity.

It used to be the customers had to call-in the day before, hardly what we have, which is the unlimited stupidity you mentioned. Customer: "Can you have the courier pick us up between 11:00 and 11:30"? FedEx Service Representative: "Si...err, yes, we'd be happy to have the courier pick up then. Can they also wash your car and do any errands for you while they're picking up"?

Cactus

When I was doing an in-town p/u route years ago, I must have had the section of town with the dumbest people.

Some businesses would call in 4 or 5 times in a single afternoon and of course no one wanted fix the problem. The day managers didn't care. They were only concerned about the delivery side of the operation. The night manager, well he was in over his head. There was so much abuse of the system and then the district cries that we're not productive enough.

Not surprisingly, later on most those businesses went belly-up.

Was glad to say goodbye forever to that route.