FedEx Truck Explodes on Highway in St. Louis

M

my2cents

ST. LOUIS, Mo. A Federal Express truck exploded Tuesday along I-270 in St. Louis, scattering debris all over the road and forcing officials to close the highway near the Illinois state line.

Nobody was injured, including the two drivers who were in the truck at the time of the explosion, Federal Express spokeswoman Sandra Munoz said.

Officials were trying to determine what caused the blast, which demolished the trailer of the 18-wheeler but left the cab undamaged.

Authorities suspected that a combustible package may have exploded inside the trailer.

An explosives expert told Fox News the blast did not appear to be the result of a bomb. He said the debris was dispersed over a relatively small area, and that a bomb would likely leave a large hole in the ground at the scene.

The FBI dispatched agents to the scene, but the bomb squad was not called to investigate.

The trailer blew up on the northbound side of the highway, near the Bellfontaine exit on the north end of St. Louis County.

P

peacock71

Very interesting how the media plays this out. Prior to the obsession with Terrorism this would have been just another truck accident with a headline like '18 Wheeler Crashes, Burns, Traffic Snarled for hours'...now its 'FEDEX Truck Explodes'...how many more eyeballs did that attract to the ads on the CNN home page?

Go UPS!
angry.gif

P71

PS: Of course, THEIR logos are to big to cover up quickly with masking tape.

T

tieguy

It is unusual. I can;t ever remember a trailer blowing up like this one did. I wonder if they loaded the wrong two hazmats next to each other.

U

upslocal480

I'm just wondering how much $$$ will be paid out to customers for the damaged,lost, late packages...or "freight" as they prefer to call it at Fed Ex Ground.

M

my2cents

LOST PACKAGES WENT FRIEDEX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 30, 2002 -- ST. LOUIS - A FedEx Corp. truck caught fire on a highway north of St. Louis after it was cut off by a car and struck a guardrail, police said yesterday.
"The fuel tank burst into flames," Missouri Highway Patrol spokesman Cpl. Jon Parrish said.

No one was injured, but Interstate 270 was closed after the accident, Highway Patrol Capt. Chris Ricks added.

"A witness said a car slowed down in front of the truck," Ricks said. The truck "then slammed on brakes and swerved, hitting a pole [which] ruptured its tank."

The truck was operated by Pittsburgh-based FedEx Ground.

There were no hazardous materials on the truck, according to FedEx records, and there was no explosion, according to FedEx spokesman Jim McCluskey. The cargo was destroyed, he said.

A

archibald

HEY MY2CENTS, THAT WAS SO WRONG FOR SO MANY REASONS BUT I CAN'T QUIT LAUGHING AT IT! WHATS NEXT, NEW SERVICE LEVELS? MEDIUM, WELL, OR WELL DONE!
lol.gif
applaud.gif