FedEx truck hit by train

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS, Apr 27, 2012.

1. DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS Active Member

This was in near Hutto in Central Texas. Driver is ok, amazingly enough. Crossings like this are fairly common here in Texas

FedEx truck hit by train in Williamson County - Yahoo! News

2. Mr. 7

Mr. 7 The monkey on the left.

That guy is on his way out.
    Too bad.
    I just got home from Austin and San Antonio.

3. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

On his way out?

4. Mr. 7

He or she will be fired for sure for committing an unsafe act.
    There's no excuse for that accident, totally avoidable. There's no reason why the driver "didn't see" a train.
    Most likely the driver was using some sort of electronic device.

5. Bravo zulu for those 3 workers who went out to collect packages from an accident scene!

6. DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

From what our DM said, he was completely blindsided by the train and was not distracted. The crossing is nothing but a stop sign, no lights flashing or bells ringing, and the engineers are not required to sound the horn at these crossings. Knowing how bad these older trucks rattle and vibrate, especially at idle, I see how the train would've been missed.

The fact that he is ok is amazing after seeing the pics, the seat and dash were basically all that was left.

7. DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I forgot about your trip! How was it? Were you in Austin for the LSRU? I tried to go but my travelling companion (daughter) had pneumonia so we sat it out.

8. Mr. 7

Check your PM.
    Had a great time.
    Didn't hit up the LSRU.

9. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

Actually I can't see at all how it was missed, Straight track, and for what I can see, plenty of visibility either direction.
    Being a regular driver in that area, he would be familiar with knowing trains run. My guess is he didn't stop look and listen...
    It is sad either way.