FedEx Truck Kills 2 Kids in MS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The DIAD shuts off after 30 seconds of inactivity. It is inserted in to a base; however, there are no wires connected to that base--it shuts off to save the battery. All of our communications with the DIAD are wireless. We can look at the DIAD while driving but doing anything more than that will show up as a "recording while driving".

The PowerPad also shuts down, but you can "wake it up" at anytime and nobody will know that you are using it while driving. UPS has the better idea with your DIAD policy.

CharleyHustle

The DIAD shuts off after 30 seconds of inactivity. It is inserted in to a base; however, there are no wires connected to that base--it shuts off to save the battery. All of our communications with the DIAD are wireless. We can look at the DIAD while driving but doing anything more than that will show up as a "recording while driving".

Are you sure? The system in the DIAD and the telematics in the vehicle have to be linked after you return to building. If they can tell if you are "recording while driving" the system can most likely tell also when it is turned on, and they aren't enforcing it yet. Probably because the DIAD may turn itself on, on occasion.

What I see are drivers from all companies doing stupid things. To qualify myself, I have, still, and most likely will do stupid things. I do try everyday to change my behavior. I keep my cell in the back, constantly monitor speed and keep distractions to a minimum. The cell phone use is the thing I see the most, there's a Express gal I've never seen without the phone on her ear. It's a rare sight to see any FedEx vehicle turned off with the bulkhead closed. The stupidest is the ground driver who parks at high school and leaves his truck running and unsecured, a real disaster waiting to happen.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
The PowerPad also shuts down, but you can "wake it up" at anytime and nobody will know that you are using it while driving.
My PP stays on all day until the batt. starts to get low, only then will it shut down after a few mins. of in-activity.
Also, if you leave the "print" screen up after leaving a door tag and printing out both labels, the PP will go to sleep quickly.

vantexan

My PP stays on all day until the batt. starts to get low, only then will it shut down after a few mins. of in-activity.
Also, if you leave the "print" screen up after leaving a door tag and printing out both labels, the PP will go to sleep quickly.

Your's would be an exception then. Do you work in a condensed area with just a few mins between stops, if that long? It might seem that it's always on if little time elapses between stops.

FedExer267

My Prayers go out to that family!!!!

Maybe now the Dot should look into Ground, you would be suprised to see no one punches out for breaks and a lunch. There is no where for a driver that works for a Contractor to do so. Some of these guys work past 14 hours a day with no breaks and no lunches. I am not saying it was fatigue but when you work 70 hours a week with no breaks and lunches this could definatley have something to do with it.
I have always said when you cover 5 zipcodes drive back and forth everyday trying to make your deliveries and make pickup times things can happen. This is the worst thing imaginable but if they truly want to fix it FedEx needs to shrink routes and add more trucks to Ground but they won't because thats more they have to pay out. That is the chance you take when a billion dollar company does business this way.
The other consideration is most (not all) Contractors do not service their trucks regularly. They dont fix a problem til something happens because they dont have the money to spend. Ground does not have mechanics who service the trucks regularly and will pull them off line if there is a problem. So I sure hope this wasn't because there was a problem with the truck.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My Prayers go out to that family!!!!

Maybe now the Dot should look into Ground, you would be suprised to see no one punches out for breaks and a lunch. There is no where for a driver that works for a Contractor to do so. Some of these guys work past 14 hours a day with no breaks and no lunches. I am not saying it was fatigue but when you work 70 hours a week with no breaks and lunches this could definatley have something to do with it.
I have always said when you cover 5 zipcodes drive back and forth everyday trying to make your deliveries and make pickup times things can happen. This is the worst thing imaginable but if they truly want to fix it FedEx needs to shrink routes and add more trucks to Ground but they won't because thats more they have to pay out. That is the chance you take when a billion dollar company does business this way.
The other consideration is most (not all) Contractors do not service their trucks regularly. They dont fix a problem til something happens because they dont have the money to spend. Ground does not have mechanics who service the trucks regularly and will pull them off line if there is a problem. So I sure hope this wasn't because there was a problem with the truck.

All good points, and I hope we all eventually know the exact circumstances. Where have you been?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Your's would be an exception then. Do you work in a condensed area with just a few mins between stops, if that long? It might seem that it's always on if little time elapses between stops.
I have a 3 min. gap time.
I have to run between 16-17 sph.

FedExer267

All good points, and I hope we all eventually know the exact circumstances. Where have you been?
Just been busy with the kids. Coaching their sports and working side jobs in my spare time. Trying to make a better life fo my kids something Ground can never do.. Hows it been around here?

FedExer267

I can also tell you with the way Ground has been turning over drivers latley accidents have gone way up. I am suprised more incidents like this have not happened. Unfortunatley thats the old saying you get what you pay for and these guys are anything but trained properly. Its a very unfortunate situation but this is the reality Fred S has made of Fed EX.. Still waiting for the occupy wall street protests to park their butts infront of Memphis.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ground tractor-trailers crash and burn almost regularly, which probably should be a sign for the DOT to have a look. If you do a bit of research, the vast majority of serious accidents involve Ground semis, although the numbers are growing rapidly for the other FedEx Opcos. FedEx Freight had a very bad wreck in San Diego last week as well.

My real concern lies with the PUD people, where you have employees running like rabbits to make "goal", which is more important to FedEx than being safe. Productivity is critical, but you can only squeeze so much juice from an orange, and then there is none left. FedEx is trying to gain productivity by breaking the safety envelope, and there is no question that it is happening. Pretending that the corporation is being "safe" isn't going to work, especially when most of us will readily acknowledge that preaching safety is much different from actually practicing it.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Out of curiosity, could you post any kind of data that supports the claim that "Ground tractor-trailers crash and burn almost regularly,...." I don't doubt that they are more frequent than Express or Freight simply because there are probably more of them, but is the accident frequency astronomically high as far as the industry goes?

vantexan

Out of curiosity, could you post any kind of data that supports the claim that "Ground tractor-trailers crash and burn almost regularly,...." I don't doubt that they are more frequent than Express or Freight simply because there are probably more of them, but is the accident frequency astronomically high as far as the industry goes?

Do you doubt the hyperbole?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Google "FedEx accidents", and see what comes up. There are lots of really bad accidents involving Ground semi drivers. Let me know if you concur after you've read about 20 stories.

AKX

I know of 2 Ground semi accidents along a downhill curvy stretch of interstate near my home this year. Neither accident was deadly but serious none the less. Those guys do seem to keep the hammer down.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I know of 2 Ground semi accidents along a downhill curvy stretch of interstate near my home this year. Neither accident was deadly but serious none the less. Those guys do seem to keep the hammer down.

I don't know about the fast driving, but they don't have a great safety record. The ones that tend to make the news are where someone besides the truck driver gets killed or badly injured. I'll let bbsam try to shoot me down on this one after he does his Google homework. I would say that the Ground accident rate for large trucks far exceeds that of either UPS Brown or UPS Freight. No stats, just judging from what I've seen on the Internet.