FedEx Truck Kills 2 Kids in MS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ignoring the numbers that don't support you claim MFE?

Do the research. I can list numerous fatal Ground tractor-trailer wrecks compared to a couple for UPS and one that I know of for Express. The big difference seems to be that the Ground guys like to take others with them.

bbsam

Staff member
Do the research. I can list numerous fatal Ground tractor-trailer wrecks compared to a couple for UPS and one that I know of for Express. The big difference seems to be that the Ground guys like to take others with them.
Why not use the statistical data? I know you want to list the most horrific annectdotal evidence, but why not use the DOT data and get the full picture? Surely they know if Ground trailers are "blowing up" all the time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why not use the statistical data? I know you want to list the most horrific annectdotal evidence, but why not use the DOT data and get the full picture? Surely they know if Ground trailers are "blowing up" all the time.

These are just the fatals for semis. It is by no means complete and doesn't include serious injury accidents, of which there are many. There are countless pics and videos of Fedex Ground semis on their sides, in the ditch, rolled-over, or burst open.They don't include, walk-ins, vans, explosions, or any of the other things local Ground drivers do to crash and burn. Those are too numerous to list. Also not included are Freight, Custom Critical, or Express. Local Ground drivers have many serious or fatals listed, including running over pedestrians. Yep, Ground is safe.

2-24-11: 3 motorists killed by FedEx Ground truck on I-65 in KY

7-27-11: 1 Ground semi driver killed in I-64 accident.

3-30-10: I-78 in New Jersey, Ground semi driver killed

6-2-10: Motorist killed when Ground semi crosses over median. I-80 in UT

2-7-11. Motorist killed in collision with Ground semi, I-84 in Ohio

6-1-10: Ground semi driver killed, I-81, Radford, VA

6-22-11: 2 motorists and 1 Ground semi driver dead. I-10 in NM

Last edited:

vantexan

I fully respect the family, and I'd like them to get some form of justice from FedEx. If the driver wasn't properly trained, or overloaded with stops, or on meth...it needs to come out. My whole point here is that with the way things are now (productivity over safety), more of these types of tragedies are going to occur. I don't want it to be my family or anyone elses's. Anyone who is a parent understands the loss these people have suffered, and if FedEx gives then $50 miilion, it isn't going to get any better. You cannot replace a child that is the center of your existence because you love them so much. The anti-safety behaviors and policies of FedEx need to be challenged and modified. That would be the kind of meaningful change that money can't buy.
FedEx talks safety, but doesn't practice it. They need to be held accountable for their double standard.
I can pull over on any interstate and count quite a few Ground and other FedEx trucks go by any hour of the day. Our share of the trucking industry is huge these days. Unfortunately things happen and the examples you cited may not have been the driver's fault. Some may have gotten killed trying to avoid hitting others. But let's not use this family's tragedy as the latest reason to attack FedEx because that's the goal here, to lambast them for any reason. I agree with alot of what you say, but some things should be left alone. Please let's move on.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I can pull over on any interstate and count quite a few Ground and other FedEx trucks go by any hour of the day. Our share of the trucking industry is huge these days. Unfortunately things happen and the examples you cited may not have been the driver's fault. Some may have gotten killed trying to avoid hitting others. But let's not use this family's tragedy as the latest reason to attack FedEx because that's the goal here, to lambast them for any reason. I agree with alot of what you say, but some things should be left alone. Please let's move on.

This thread has evolved beyond the family in question to the larger issue of FedEx safety in general.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Evolved may not be the most accurate verb. I think it may be on the endangered list.

Oozed may be the more appropriate verb. :wink2:

Gore? Maybe, but our safety culture is on the verge of disappearing. From what I see out on the happy highways, most UPS drivers use safe methods. Our guys...not so much.

Gore? Maybe, but our safety culture is on the verge of disappearing. From what I see out on the happy highways, most UPS drivers use safe methods. Our guys...not so much.

UPS kills one in las vegas.
Accidents happen, but everyone needs to work safety.

All of you keep talking about FEDEX EXPRESS. This is FEDEX GROUND. Big difference. I worked as a peak season driver last year for UPS and have been through their training. I currently drive for FEDEX GROUND, or rather the contractor who owns this route. I am shocked at the difference in the two carriers. With UPS we had daily safety meetings with specific focus on a topic. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY. With FEDEX GROUND safety from the top does not exist except for a little horse and pony show on occasion to CYA. ( THERE)
Very few contractors have safety programs in any form. Few even speak of safety, many drive with trucks that shouldn't be on the road.( DOT inspections somehow pass with bald tires, brake issue, mirrors broke, backup camera broke, E-brake not working) Many drivers were driving for a 5 to 10 stop a week company one week and are put on a 120 stop a day route with no training of any kind, many drivers are young and inexperienced and have no business driving in such a high pressure situation. A simple question like following distance draws blank stares.
FEDEX proud of it's profit margin with GROUND does everything it can to disassociate themselves from the "contractor" They take an adversarial role on EVERY issue. Few contractors/driver feel comfortable asking questions or admitting the need for help because of this. When this contractor scam was set up not long ago, it was with the understanding that when a route grows to a certain point it would be split given the contractor/driver two routes and costing FEDEX more money. This split is rarely done so many routes are so big it is not possible for one driver to deliver all stops in one day.
With UPS when the weather got really bad all drivers were instructed to stop and return to the terminal, With FEDEX it is left to the contractor, however, this counts against you and despite the official position of FEDEX, they expect you to make your deliveries. Putting unrealistic pressure on drivers.
It is only a matter of time before more die as a result of this failed contractor set up.
Many of you will wonder why I would work for such an outfit. Right now I have no choice. UPS did not even pick me up as a peak driver this year despite raves from my supervisors, a written compliment from someone on my route last year that I was told may make it to the company website.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All of you keep talking about FEDEX EXPRESS. This is FEDEX GROUND. Big difference. I worked as a peak season driver last year for UPS and have been through their training. I currently drive for FEDEX GROUND, or rather the contractor who owns this route. I am shocked at the difference in the two carriers. With UPS we had daily safety meetings with specific focus on a topic. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY. With FEDEX GROUND safety from the top does not exist except for a little horse and pony show on occasion to CYA. ( THERE)
Very few contractors have safety programs in any form. Few even speak of safety, many drive with trucks that shouldn't be on the road.( DOT inspections somehow pass with bald tires, brake issue, mirrors broke, backup camera broke, E-brake not working) Many drivers were driving for a 5 to 10 stop a week company one week and are put on a 120 stop a day route with no training of any kind, many drivers are young and inexperienced and have no business driving in such a high pressure situation. A simple question like following distance draws blank stares.
FEDEX proud of it's profit margin with GROUND does everything it can to disassociate themselves from the "contractor" They take an adversarial role on EVERY issue. Few contractors/driver feel comfortable asking questions or admitting the need for help because of this. When this contractor scam was set up not long ago, it was with the understanding that when a route grows to a certain point it would be split given the contractor/driver two routes and costing FEDEX more money. This split is rarely done so many routes are so big it is not possible for one driver to deliver all stops in one day.
With UPS when the weather got really bad all drivers were instructed to stop and return to the terminal, With FEDEX it is left to the contractor, however, this counts against you and despite the official position of FEDEX, they expect you to make your deliveries. Putting unrealistic pressure on drivers.
It is only a matter of time before more die as a result of this failed contractor set up.
Many of you will wonder why I would work for such an outfit. Right now I have no choice. UPS did not even pick me up as a peak driver this year despite raves from my supervisors, a written compliment from someone on my route last year that I was told may make it to the company website.

Sounds like you "get it" first-hand. Express is rapidly spiraling down to Ground in terms of a safety culture.. It's all about the profit. Nothing else matters.

FedExer267

Absolutley correct our stop counts go up and they will not split routes because it will cost them money. If they decied to make another route they have to assign a psa # for that route and it is now up for bonuses. They absolutley will not do it. They do not care how many stops you delivery daily, they use to say on average it was 90 a day to make it a route, I have never had under 90 stops more like 115 to 120 and yep you guessed it. I do not drive a route. FedEx want us out there doing a 25 dollar a hour job but not willing to make us employees and share the wealth. I like how they push it off as a small package delivery company. Small to me would be Ontrac which only covers the West Coast, not one that covers everywhere. Biggest scam alive, FedEx is a very good reason there are protests of the 1% going on. Big business gets richer and the middle class gets crapped on.

Absolutley correct our stop counts go up and they will not split routes because it will cost them money. If they decied to make another route they have to assign a psa # for that route and it is now up for bonuses. They absolutley will not do it. They do not care how many stops you delivery daily, they use to say on average it was 90 a day to make it a route, I have never had under 90 stops more like 115 to 120 and yep you guessed it. I do not drive a route. FedEx want us out there doing a 25 dollar a hour job but not willing to make us employees and share the wealth. I like how they push it off as a small package delivery company. Small to me would be Ontrac which only covers the West Coast, not one that covers everywhere. Biggest scam alive, FedEx is a very good reason there are protests of the 1% going on. Big business gets richer and the middle class gets crapped on.

Thank You, Well said.
Several problems with changing the status qua at FEDEX GROUND. First is public ignorance. As you can see here even UPS drivers don't know how bad Ground is, or how it is structured. The public would be shocked if they knew the truth. That FEDEX GROUND drivers make but a fraction of their counterparts at UPS or FEDEX EXPRESS, $25 an hr? try $10 an hr with no overtime or benefits of any kind, no ability to pool resources to buy into a modest health care plan. FEDEX does not pay enough to even cover a living wage much less benefits. This is why they have such a high turnover, inexperienced driver and such low moral.
The other serous problem is no FEDEX ground community exist in any form. Look here, we both see the same issues and yet we are posting in the "Brown cafe" We do not group together at GROUND. On the rare occasion I talk with other owner/drivers we seem to agree it is a hopeless situation. even when an owner sais we should all have "sit out" for a day, it goes no further than one person.
Sadly, many more children will have to die and many more FEDEX GROUND owner/drivers will have to become involved to change anything at all.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Thank You, Well said.
Several problems with changing the status qua at FEDEX GROUND. First is public ignorance. As you can see here even UPS drivers don't know how bad Ground is, or how it is structured. The public would be shocked if they knew the truth. That FEDEX GROUND drivers make but a fraction of their counterparts at UPS or FEDEX EXPRESS, $25 an hr? try $10 an hr with no overtime or benefits of any kind, no ability to pool resources to buy into a modest health care plan. FEDEX does not pay enough to even cover a living wage much less benefits. This is why they have such a high turnover, inexperienced driver and such low moral.
The other serous problem is no FEDEX ground community exist in any form. Look here, we both see the same issues and yet we are posting in the "Brown cafe" We do not group together at GROUND. On the rare occasion I talk with other owner/drivers we seem to agree it is a hopeless situation. even when an owner sais we should all have "sit out" for a day, it goes no further than one person.
Sadly, many more children will have to die and many more FEDEX GROUND owner/drivers will have to become involved to change anything at all.

Well said. Speak-out and make a difference. We need more like you out there to tell the truth.

HomeDelivery

Hope it haunts the driver for the rest of his life...

i've also remembered another tragic accident in NY a few years ago (can't find it now); that a ground/ hd driver had 2 jobs... so he wasn't really resting the required 10 hours DOT rules before coming back to drive. Fatigue finally caught up with him and he ran over pedestrians walking across the painted crosswalk...

Those who was taught the Smith System (or UPS calls it 5 Seeing Habits LOL) & retain it for their own use both commercially and personally are ahead of the game.

I still see "distracted driving" and some accidents derived from it every single day that I'm out there on the road. I just assume that the drivers around me will be an accident waiting to happen & adjust my "space cushion" accordingly

stay SAFE out there this peak

whenIgetthere

I remember an accident in Eastern Massachusetts last year, where a Ground driver had an accident, fell out the drivers door and his own truck ran him over. Anyone have more facts? That's as much as I remember.

FedExer267

Hope it haunts the driver for the rest of his life...

i've also remembered another tragic accident in NY a few years ago (can't find it now); that a ground/ hd driver had 2 jobs... so he wasn't really resting the required 10 hours DOT rules before coming back to drive. Fatigue finally caught up with him and he ran over pedestrians walking across the painted crosswalk...

Those who was taught the Smith System (or UPS calls it 5 Seeing Habits LOL) & retain it for their own use both commercially and personally are ahead of the game.

I still see "distracted driving" and some accidents derived from it every single day that I'm out there on the road. I just assume that the drivers around me will be an accident waiting to happen & adjust my "space cushion" accordingly

stay SAFE out there this peak
Thats pretty sad but that is the situation most of us are put in, having to work 2 jobs because you cannot live on what you make at work. When you work 12 to 14 a day and you get paid for 8 in some cases you will need another job to get by. If we were paid for actual time less of this would happen. This is the situation that FedEx has created due to their own greed.