Fedex vs UPS,who's better to work for?

bbsam

Staff member
Why do we continue to compare UPS to FedEx Express? Ground is the beast that is growing, and will look a lot like the UPS we are used to. In that comparison, don't think there is anyone who wouldn't rather work for UPS, save the former-UPSer who was fired or quit from UPS and is now at Ground. However, FedEx Ground is China/India/Kenya (where Riverside Uniforms come from; check the label!), and I worry whether it will matter soon where we prefer to work; our jobs will be "outsourced".
APettyJ makes a good point. I often tease the Express folks around here that with the coming changes at Express that, "We are all Ground now." Increasingly the folks at UPS are beginning to realize the same thing. That we have to canabalize a portion of the Express operations means little if it coincides with continuing growth in market share, namely taking packages off Brown trucks and planes.

HomeDelivery

granted HD is one of the lowest paid opcos on the purple side, but it's also the easiest.

No juggling time-commits or pickup deadlines (except for the rare appointment deliveries, where you break the ROADs trace). you drive to a certain zip code & deliver the load, then off to the next zip code without looping back to the same area...

contractors should be paying for sort/load time and a minimum dead-head time from/to the barn to the service area. That's the only gripe i have about this opco. (well no sick pay, vacation pay as well)

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
granted HD is one of the lowest paid opcos on the purple side, but it's also the easiest.

No juggling time-commits or pickup deadlines (except for the rare appointment deliveries, where you break the ROADs trace). you drive to a certain zip code & deliver the load, then off to the next zip code without looping back to the same area...

contractors should be paying for sort/load time and a minimum dead-head time from/to the barn to the service area. That's the only gripe i have about this opco. (well no sick pay, vacation pay as well)
If it makes you feel any better, I just finished my 6th week of paid vacation and only have 4 days left for the rest of the year.

Michigander88

No. I see no advantages for the contractor model. They recently made a change so there are no longer single route contractors anymore. You have to own at least three routes. So many single route contractors sold theirs to another one who has a larger business and just worked for them.

It would be way too much of a headache. Trying to find good reliable drivers that will put in a lot of work for $600 wk and no bennies or anything. Dealing with FedEx Ground, call offs, breakdowns. Way too much stress. I'd much rather be a UPS driver!

rocket man

This forum originally was meant for upsers to vent and exchange thoughts.
Recently there has been a deluge of pissed off Fedexers in here complaining
about production standards and the stuff we have put up with for years.
Who would you rather work for and why?
at the present time if you get a pay check from fedx or ups or even dhl you are doing good

bbsam

Staff member
No. I see no advantages for the contractor model. They recently made a change so there are no longer single route contractors anymore. You have to own at least three routes. So many single route contractors sold theirs to another one who has a larger business and just worked for them.

It would be way too much of a headache. Trying to find good reliable drivers that will put in a lot of work for $600 wk and no bennies or anything. Dealing with FedEx Ground, call offs, breakdowns. Way too much stress. I'd much rather be a UPS driver!
Let's just say the pay can be well worth the headache.

Drivers for FedEx work through a contractor. Meaning FedEx doesn't own or deal with their own trucks or direct driver employees except for express and some ground and a few others. I work for a contractor delivering for FedEx. We deliver very heavy stuff a lot, that ups and USPS will not take. We have full benefits. PTO. I drive a brand new nissan van. I've never worked for USPS or ups. I'm sure they're great. I'd definitely be interested in possibly going over to one of them if the pay and benefits are more and if it's just as stress free and relaxed. I heard UPS can't go in driveways a lot or reverse, I do this a lot haha. Never a problem.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Drivers for FedEx work through a contractor. Meaning FedEx doesn't own or deal with their own trucks or direct driver employees except for express and some ground and a few others. I work for a contractor delivering for FedEx. We deliver very heavy stuff a lot, that ups and USPS will not take. We have full benefits. PTO. I drive a brand new nissan van. I've never worked for USPS or ups. I'm sure they're great. I'd definitely be interested in possibly going over to one of them if the pay and benefits are more and if it's just as stress free and relaxed. I heard UPS can't go in driveways a lot or reverse, I do this a lot haha. Never a problem.

Did you really create a new account just to reopen a six year old thread?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Drivers for FedEx work through a contractor. Meaning FedEx doesn't own or deal with their own trucks.

I'd definitely be interested in possibly going over to one of them if the pay and benefits are more and if it's just as stress free and relaxed. I heard UPS can't go in driveways a lot or reverse, I do this a lot haha. Never a problem.

Stay where you’re at....

Did you really create a new account just to reopen a six year old thread?

Considering that most of his post was moronic to begin with, I’m not sure you’ll get a good answer.

Yolo

Thanks to ORION we don't need to reverse.

Bob11B

Why would you want to go in a driveway? :censored2:, more money, benefits, a better company and in exchange I have to drive smarter...yea, sounds good.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Thanks to ORION we don't need to reverse.
I reverse up customers driveway s all the time!

Nose out to the street is always safer for me...

One driver had run over a feral cat that had prompted the customer to do this:

sketch-1549128688606.png

542thruNthru

Drivers for FedEx work through a contractor. Meaning FedEx doesn't own or deal with their own trucks or direct driver employees except for express and some ground and a few others. I work for a contractor delivering for FedEx. We deliver very heavy stuff a lot, that ups and USPS will not take.

Lol!!!! Sure pal. Heavy stuff in a Nissan VAN. Tell me about these huge packages you have in your VAN that UPS won't deliver.

I heard UPS can't go in driveways a lot or reverse, I do this a lot haha. Never a problem.

That's because we have a TRUCK not a little van.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Lol!!!! Sure pal. Heavy stuff in a Nissan VAN. Tell me about these huge packages you have in your VAN that UPS won't deliver.

That's because we have a TRUCK not a little van.
Yup. Crack a driveway and it goes down as an accident.