FedEx Wages - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LU710

I'm serious. This is a non-rhetorical question;

I cannot for the life of me figure out why I should give a damn what a FedEx employee makes per hour.

Can someone please explain to me why anyone already employed anywhere else, especially UPS, becomes so rabid over someone else at another company and what they make per hour?

I'd prefer to hear some common sense answer - I'd really like to know, because I don't get it.

NOTE "Fairness" is not an answer -
Because someone cared enough about you to stand up and help negotiate you a higher wage! Wake up! It's not all about me me!! Give a damn about others in our industry not just care about ourselves.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Because someone cared enough about you to stand up and help negotiate you a higher wage! Wake up! It's not all about me me!! Give a damn about others in our industry not just care about ourselves.

Most employees are part-time. The PT wages are awful. 95% of us started part-time and should know better.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Most employees are part-time. The PT wages are awful. 95% of us started part-time and should know better.
The starting part time wages are horrible i will agree with you. But if you plan on staying for a while its a good paying job, plus the perks, medical, vision, denatl and pension with paid vacations.

I know alot of part timers that make well over $15 to full time pay because they have turned this in to a career.

I started in 94 at $8 an hour and today im over $29 as a fulltime driver.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The starting part time wages are horrible i will agree with you. But if you plan on staying for a while its a good paying job, plus the perks, medical, vision, denatl and pension with paid vacations.

I know alot of part timers that make well over $15 to full time pay because they have turned this in to a career.

I started in 94 at $8 an hour and today im over $29 as a fulltime driver.
It "MIGHT" become a good paying job depending on where you live, if you can survive 5-15 years part-time, and all the intangibles and possible detours.

Yeah and 15/hr is ok if you live in the sticks of Indiana or NC or AR where the cost of living is reasonable. 29/hr you can live like a king there (perhaps where you are too)

Here if you make 15/hr you are not going to be able to pay the bills. I make 24/hr and live paycheck to paycheck. Does not work like that everywhere, but you have to realize that $24 or $29/hr isnt much money in all areas. To me it is mediocre pay, was making more 10 years ago.

705red

Browncafe Steward
It "MIGHT" become a good paying job depending on where you live, if you can survive 5-15 years part-time, and all the intangibles and possible detours.

Yeah and 15/hr is ok if you live in the sticks of Indiana or NC or AR where the cost of living is reasonable. 29/hr you can live like a king there (perhaps where you are too)

Here if you make 15/hr you are not going to be able to pay the bills. I make 24/hr and live paycheck to paycheck. Does not work like that everywhere, but you have to realize that $24 or $29/hr isnt much money in all areas. To me it is mediocre pay, was making more 10 years ago.
Sleeve you are missing the point. Its a part time job. Anyone that thinks they are going to make a living on part time wages is out of their mind! i wish i could live on part time wages, but the truth is it is impossible!

I don't live like a king, i have a very nice house, my wife stays home and takes care of my 3 kids and i also do not have any car payment's.

I try to live within my means and not off of my overtime.

$24 an hour x's 40 hours =$960 a week x's =$49,920 a year.
$275 a week into the pension x's 52 weeks = $14,300 a year.
Now lets just say medical is $500 a week, and that's on the low end, x's 52 weeks = $26,000.

That comes out to $90,220 a year for a combo employee. I cant believe that you can complain about earning this.

A package driver without overtime is at $100,620 a year using the same math but at $29 an hour. Your only $10,000 a year less at base pay.

chopstic

A level playing field, fair, would be UPS having the ability to use the same model as FedEx.

We can't, because we are hobbled by the union. So we are pulling a Tonya Harding on FedEx.

That's not fairness, that is not making the playing field level - that is breaking your competitors kneecaps with a pipe.

All the fluff that people spew about fairness, level playing field - I call baloney.

Let's use the Freeing of the slaves example above - to use what UPS is doing with FedEx would be the same as helping those that were slaves by making everyone slaves - that levels the playing field.

It would be like taking the women who couldn't vote & telling them "no problem - we'll make it so both men AND women can't vote".

Of course the above two examples make no sense and are stupid - and exactly what UPS is doing.

See, that is at least honest - I respect that. No "helping our brother drivers to be paid fair" total BS.

You've have misunderstood the whole issue. Here is how it breaks down;

1. We are NOT arguing for FedEx to pay their employees more money.
2. We are NOT arguing for FedEx to stop using sub-contracted labor.
3. We are NOT even arguing that FedEx should be unionized.

What we are arguing is that FedEx employees should have the same right as other American employees. In that they should have a reasonable method to organize into a union (IF and only IF) they choose to do so...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve you are missing the point. Its a part time job. Anyone that thinks they are going to make a living on part time wages is out of their mind! i wish i could live on part time wages, but the truth is it is impossible!

I don't live like a king, i have a very nice house, my wife stays home and takes care of my 3 kids and i also do not have any car payment's.

I try to live within my means and not off of my overtime.

$24 an hour x's 40 hours =$960 a week x's =$49,920 a year.
$275 a week into the pension x's 52 weeks = $14,300 a year.
Now lets just say medical is $500 a week, and that's on the low end, x's 52 weeks = $26,000.

That comes out to $90,220 a year for a combo employee. I cant believe that you can complain about earning this.

A package driver without overtime is at $100,620 a year using the same math but at $29 an hour. Your only $10,000 a year less at base pay.

Did that come across as complaining? That is not what I wanted to do. What I wanted to do was bring some realism into what most people do not understand or fail to want to understand. 50k a year is not that much here. It's more like 25k in many other areas.

purplesky

Hi,
Most of the Fed Ex Ground drivers in my area do not own their routes and are just paid around $600.00 a week from the guys who do own them. They get paid no overtime, no vacation, no benefits, no workmans comp, etc,. The Fed EX ground drivers do care about the issue of pay because in 2009 they are slaves to a billion dollar company that is using labor laws that are not relevant in 2009. I care about this issue because it is a reflection of whats wrong in America today. The fact that the IRS and 8 states are currently going after Fed Ex is proof there is a problem. Look at the big picture not just whats in front of your own nose.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Did that come across as complaining? That is not what I wanted to do. What I wanted to do was bring some realism into what most people do not understand or fail to want to understand. 50k a year is not that much here. It's more like 25k in many other areas.
I might have taken it wrong, i do apologize if you were not complaining.

The cost of living varies from area to area, and people get to decide what area they want to live in. No one is forced to live anywhere. My parents came from Ireland and landed in Chicago, If i want i could always move to Wisconsin because it is cheaper to live. But I enjoy being a Chicagoan.

bbsam

Staff member
Hi,
Most of the Fed Ex Ground drivers in my area do not own their routes and are just paid around $600.00 a week from the guys who do own them. They get paid no overtime, no vacation, no benefits, no workmans comp, etc,. The Fed EX ground drivers do care about the issue of pay because in 2009 they are slaves to a billion dollar company that is using labor laws that are not relevant in 2009. I care about this issue because it is a reflection of whats wrong in America today. The fact that the IRS and 8 states are currently going after Fed Ex is proof there is a problem. Look at the big picture not just whats in front of your own nose.
ok, purplesky, disclosure: i am a ground contractor. and my question is not meant to be in the least bit provocative. what exactly do you mean by "going after"? the last i heard, the irs had dropped their claim to 2002 "unpaid taxes" and were "continuing to investigate" other years. and the recent article about attorneys general of the eight states had me wondering more than ever. why wouldn't these eight states simply bring charges against the company having to do with "misclassification". it seems like they think they have a weak case and would like to get concessions from the company in some other manner. As for working conditions for the drivers, yes they could be much better. i think the more effective approach to bringing about change is not necessarily attacking the company, but rewriting the law. that is, remove the ambiguity (and there is ambiguity) in the definition of an independent contractor. the irs is the same institution that has in the past validated and even helped to reform the ground ic model so it can only be disingenuous for the irs to turn around and complain about that model.

upsgrunt

Silly argument not even worth getting into.
1. It's not an argument

2. It's a point made in reference to a complaint you made.

3. What's so silly about it; that you have no counterpoint?

4. Just because you don't agree with a point made doesn't make that point wrong or trivial.

5. Most drivers I know put their time in the part time ranks. Think of it as an "apprenticeship" to driving. Is the starting pay a joke? Absolutely! But it is a start to better pay.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
1. It's not an argument

2. It's a point made in reference to a complaint you made.

3. What's so silly about it; that you have no counterpoint?

4. Just because you don't agree with a point made doesn't make that point wrong or trivial.

It is an argument.

It is silly because not everyone can just escape to another area just to "live cheaper".

purplesky

Hi BBSAM,
Your right about FDX ground drivers should be doing much better. I know atleast 6 owners of routes and some own several. They dont deliver unless they have too. Its wrong that the drivers they hire dont get overtime and benefits because they are not independent contracters. They are just FDX employees. I dont want to argue about all the legal issues and challenges of the past, present , and future of the FDX ground model. Obviously there is a problem and at some point the legal costs and hassle will catch up with FDX if not already. FDX has a big legal mess on their hands now dealing with Express, freight, ground and home delivery. Its a problem that is only going to get bigger and not go away. Having a democratic president in office for 8 years will be tough for FDX and their legal costs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You've have misunderstood the whole issue. Here is how it breaks down;

1. We are NOT arguing for FedEx to pay their employees more money.
2. We are NOT arguing for FedEx to stop using sub-contracted labor.
3. We are NOT even arguing that FedEx should be unionized.

What we are arguing is that FedEx employees should have the same right as other American employees. In that they should have a reasonable method to organize into a union (IF and only IF) they choose to do so...

Well stated. There is nothing that requires FedEx employees to go union even if the RLA exemption goes away. It's all about a level playing field and the end of a FedEx subsidy that prevents us from any chance at organizing. FedEx arguments that we can already choose unionization under the RLA are bogus because Fred knows there are lots of right to work states that would never go Teamster in a million years. As long as the RLA is in place, the opportunity to have the "right" to organize doesn't really exist. Funny how they never mention that on Brownbailout.com.