FedExers fight it out

fethrs

I have a feeling the dik dik may be around for a while he may hide but now and then he'll pop up and surprise everyone

FDX guy on my route told me they will have a major announcement concerning manager positions at FDX. He said they will pare down managerial positions to the bare minimum and the managers who gets downsized will be able to work again as couriers. (this is FDX Express).
One more reason FedEx should be unionized.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I assume that your concern is how would the displaced managers work their way back in to the driver's ranks, whether they would bump the lowest seniority drivers or would they get to pick and choose which route(s) they would take. This is a valid concern and one which a union would easily address and monitor for compliance.

As for the OP, I have long since grown tired of the seemingly endless debate between FedEx wife and FedEx grunt, which has strayed from substantive debate to personal attacks and can best be summed up in 2 words--WHO CARES!!!

I assume that your concern is how would the displaced managers work their way back in to the driver's ranks, whether they would bump the lowest seniority drivers or would they get to pick and choose which route(s) they would take. This is a valid concern and one which a union would easily address and monitor for compliance.

As for the OP, I have long since grown tired of the seemingly endless debate between FedEx wife and FedEx grunt, which has strayed from substantive debate to personal attacks and can best be summed up in 2 words--WHO CARES!!!
The only thing I know about the debate is what has been said in this thread. You're right...WHO CARES?

SmithBarney

me: UPS/FedEx

Me: hi i have a pkg for you

Customer: What is it

Me: I think it is a dikfour

Customer: Whats a dikfour

Anyway one level of protection at FedEx is a current manager cannot be a driver/courier
for a station he/she/it has managed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anyway one level of protection at FedEx is a current manager cannot be a driver/courier for a station he/she/it has managed.

Thank you for the second part of this post. This makes sense in many ways.

As for the first part, you can leave that on the playground.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have a feeling the dik dik may be around for a while he may hide but now and then he'll pop up and surprise everyone
LOL

Good Point.

Agreed X 2.

Anyway one level of protection at FedEx is a current manager cannot be a driver/courier
for a station he/she/it has managed.

Very interesting, fredly.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FDX guy on my route told me they will have a major announcement concerning manager positions at FDX. He said they will pare down managerial positions to the bare minimum and the managers who gets downsized will be able to work again as couriers. (this is FDX Express).

This is interesting because managerial positions are already pared-down to the bare minimums.When we had the buyout a few years ago, most managers felt that a miserable job had just become that much worse. Many senior managers were forced to take-on multiple locations.

This is just a theory, but if they are figuring we're going Teamster, they might also think that they'll need fewer managers to handle union employees. That would probably be a mistake.

fethrs

This is interesting because managerial positions are already pared-down to the bare minimums.When we had the buyout a few years ago, most managers felt that a miserable job had just become that much worse. Many senior managers were forced to take-on multiple locations.

This is just a theory, but if they are figuring we're going Teamster, they might also think that they'll need fewer managers to handle union employees. That would probably be a mistake.

Good luck with becoming union, I know I have personally benefitted from it with different work issues and I make more money that some who have degrees but no union. You have more patience than me with fedexallthe way as I probably would have told her to shutthebleepup but it's not my fight. Don't give up!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks for the encouraging words. The word on our managers being let go is true, but they are being given the option of re-assignment to another location and not being terminated. Apparently some areas are fat on managers and others are lean, so upper management has decided to balance it out somewhat. Perhaps they should apply the same standards to themselves up there at the top.

The one thing they never factor in is that most managers are also part-time couriers since they always need to fill-in for vacations or multiple sick calls. That makes the job that much harder. It's no wonder that most low level managers at FedEx are sorry they ever got into it.

fethrs

• I've actually said it before, over on the FedEx side. I did the same as you, bouncing over there to see what was up and POW, right into one of their fights. It been going on for quite awhile now, with no end in sight. MrFedEx says that ALLTHEWAY is the wife of a FedEx'er, and posts in other forums as a woman. LOL Personally, I like the blue skies, birds chirping and peaceful atmosphere on this side of town.:wink2:
Re: Leaders Tell FedEx CEO to Protect Middle Class Jobs
[quote=fed ex all the way Isn't it ironic that the same losers who support unions and the repeal of secret ballots arrogantly spread their bilge "secretly" on message boards.

You have just insulted a huge group of union members who are NOT losers and do NOT arragontlay spread bilge "secretly" on message boards, you lady, need to get it right for once.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
How could the Teamsters sucessfully juggle UPS and Fed-Ex considering we are 2 competing companies ?

My issue with Fed-Ex ever going union is that the Teamsters can force a strike at will with the company and shut down Fed-Ex. Or vice versa, destroying one of the delivery services. It sounds good in theory since we both do the same thing. I just can't see it working out for us even if Fed-Ex goes away.

Really, how screwed would we be if Fed-Ex went on strike ! Management could/would be very slow in adding routes and drivers. All of our facilities would be slammed peak style. They would have to refigure routes possibly for rebids. Added pickups would destroy regular pickup times for our regular customers. Maybe its a good thing. Bright side- no one pushing sales leads :surprised:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
How could the Teamsters sucessfully juggle UPS and Fed-Ex considering we are 2 competing companies ?

My issue with Fed-Ex ever going union is that the Teamsters can force a strike at will with the company and shut down Fed-Ex. Or vice versa, destroying one of the delivery services. It sounds good in theory since we both do the same thing. I just can't see it working out for us even if Fed-Ex goes away.

Really, how screwed would we be if Fed-Ex went on strike ! Management could/would be very slow in adding routes and drivers. All of our facilities would be slammed peak style. They would have to refigure routes possibly for rebids. Added pickups would destroy regular pickup times for our regular customers. Maybe its a good thing. Bright side- no one pushing sales leads :surprised:

I would assume that if FedEx were union and they went out on strike, we'd go out to support them, thus bringing all pkg delivery to a screeching halt.jmho

backinbrown

respect my authority

i don't think union would do that the membership dues will support pension fund it is good for us all jmo

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I would assume that if FedEx were union and they went out on strike, we'd go out to support them, thus bringing all pkg delivery to a screeching halt.jmho

You are right
We would support them, but at the same time MANAGEMENT would go head-hunting for sales leads and opportunities to increase OUR business. Look how the economy is now and all the route cutting everyday. They would tell us this is UPS's opportunity to get the upperhand in this market.

And you know Steve, if WE were the one's going on strike, union or not, Fed-Ex is out there stealing our customers. Having Fed-Ex unionized would help and hurt both parties.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You are right
We would support them, but at the same time MANAGEMENT would go head-hunting for sales leads and opportunities to increase OUR business. Look how the economy is now and all the route cutting everyday. They would tell us this is UPS's opportunity to get the upperhand in this market.

And you know Steve, if WE were the one's going on strike, union or not, Fed-Ex is out there stealing our customers. Having Fed-Ex unionized would help and hurt both parties.

Good points. When UPS struck in 1997 we were totally slammed, and everyone was working 60 hours. FedEx got a lot of business from customers who were ticked at UPS and claimed "they would never go back" (most did anyway). It cuts both ways.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Good points. When UPS struck in 1997 we were totally slammed, and everyone was working 60 hours. FedEx got a lot of business from customers who were ticked at UPS and claimed "they would never go back" (most did anyway). It cuts both ways.
FedEx wasn't the only one that was slammed. I worked for a small independant trucking company at the time and we were slammed as well. We could hardly keep up with the freight.