Feeder Bitching

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
A couple of complaints....

First, these are chiefly complaints, because not enough drivers follow the rules, follow DOT laws and refuse to stand up for themselves.

One, the load bars or straps that are REQUIRED BY LAW, just never seem to get put up. I've raised the issue with the part-time sups in the hub, my safety committee and my on-road sups. Starting with the part-time sups: they act surprised when I tell them that I can't, WON'T leave until EVERY load is secured. You would think these guys would understand that their workers are the main reason for load securement. But, no, that would assume these sups would be independent thinkers. Nope, no dice. I had one tell me that there were no more straps in our enormous building. I walked 30 feet, spotted a strap, and pointed it out to this clown. I had a night shift sup tell me that, "that's the twilight's problem. They didn't strap it up." No, I told him, it was now his problem because I wasn't moving the trailer until the load was strapped up, and it is not my job to secure the loads.

Two, I've brought this up to members of my safety committee, and all they tell me is that, yeah, we've brought the subject up many times, but they (management) won't do anything about it. So, why do we have a safety committee then?

Third, my on-road supervisors have started to get on this, but for selfish reasons. Any guesses? Yep, because we end up burying their on-property times waiting around for our loads to get secured. But as substandard supervisors are want to do, they write the pertinent information, then throw it away. My supervisor personally secured my loads three days in a row, then on the fourth day, when my load wasn't secured, I went to my sup and told him and he asked me how much was in my trailer. I told him 35%. He told me that a 35% load doesn't really need to be secured. I told him DOT rules state that every load has to be secured. He said that the reason for securement was to prevent injuries to people opening the door and that 35% would be in danger of falling down on a loader. I asked him, then, if it was ok for me not to use my seat belt if I was only backing my tractor up 10 or 15 feet, since there would be very little danger of me being injured from such a small distance moved at such a small low speed. Two other sups in the office piped up, "No, you ALWAYS need the seat belt on if the tractor is in motion." So I asked them why I couldn't pick and choose what rules I wanted choose since they wanted to pick and choose the DOT rules they would obey. My sup grinned and said he would bring out a brace bar to secure my load. Typical management behavior. Safety is a joke to them unless it is staring them in the face. And unless you shove it in their face, they could care less about it.

This wouldn't be such a problem if every driver stood firm and forced the issue at every dock door. But what I've found is that many drivers don't even know their loads are, by law, to be secured. And if they do, they either don't care, or are afraid to stand firm on the issue. Why? Who knows? Most likely, they get pressured about on-property times, and start rushing their routine. Most likely, they just shut that trailer door and go. It's the same reason why you might grab a by-pass load, and there is a problem with the trailer that any maroon could have spotted. Why? Because many drivers I see barely, or don't even bother with a post-trip inspection. I've seen other drivers fly by me on the road without any running lights on their trailers. There is only one way that could happen: cutting corners and not following the methods.

If every driver forced the hub to secure loads, it would begin to show up on feeder reports as excessive on-property times. If that happened, they would put the hammer down on the hub to get every single load secured. If we don't, as a group, force the issue, then only those of us who make them secure these loads will feel pressure. That's fine with me, because I refuse to break a DOT law because the hub can't do it's job. I won't take acceptance of the hub's mistakes, even if that means I have to hold things up until they're corrected.

P

pickup

Wanna really get technical? The hazmat boxes(if any on truck), are supposed to be secured(blocked and braced) as well. Often they are the ones at end of the load ,under the load bar, and hence unsecured.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Don't be the driver that delivers the load to a building that has a DM or higher of feeders in attendance when an unsecured load almost injures someone. I know. I was the one almost injured. These guys love the numbers, but not at the expense of people.

bluehdmc

What exactly is the law for load securement?
I have checked the dot regs and they actually seem vague about a van type trailer. There are all sorts of paragraphs about bulkheads strength, securing logs, etc. but securement of loose packages????
If I recall one of the regs concerns checking load securement after driving xxx# miles "unless the trailer is sealed".

I was actually told by one supe when there was actually no loadbars in the building, "The doors secure the load."

If packages fall out when I pull off the dock or open swing doors, they stay where they fall.

bluehdmc

Wanna really get technical? The hazmat boxes(if any on truck), are supposed to be secured(blocked and braced) as well. Often they are the ones at end of the load ,under the load bar, and hence unsecured.

Your lucky if the slips are in the pouch, if there is a pouch.

P

pickup

I have checked the dot regs and they actually seem vague about a van type trailer. There are all sorts of paragraphs about bulkheads strength, securing logs, etc. but securement of loose packages????
If I recall one of the regs concerns checking load securement after driving xxx# miles "unless the trailer is sealed".

I was actually told by one supe when there was actually no loadbars in the building, "The doors secure the load."

If packages fall out when I pull off the dock or open swing doors, they stay where they fall.

I don't know the laws for securing in general but when it comes to hazmat packages, the law is quite clear:

The Code of Federal Regulations of the United States of America - Google Books

P

pickup

okay, I see my link applies to hazmat being transport on a truck via a rail. Still , we have those situations, so I guess it applies. I believe the same rules apply to trucking hazmat on the roads as well but I will research it.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

Which types of commercial motor vehicles are subject to the cargo securement standards of this subpart, and what general requirements apply? - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Inspection of cargo, cargo securement devices and systems. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Which types of commercial motor vehicles are subject to the cargo securement standards of this subpart, and what general requirements apply? - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Basically the load has to be secured from shifting within, which is what the straps and/or load bar are for. A load that shifted during travel could cause a rollover.
The part you were reading about inspection is that we don't have to re-check our load straps during a trip because the loads are sealed and it's impracticable. You could always get authorization to cut seals if you suspected the load had shifted and needed to be re-secured.

Your State may have additional regulations regarding securement of cargo.

A

anonymous6

uncanny.........i could of written the same post.

friday nite..........half a dozen drivers started 30 minutes early, working off the clock so their numbers look good. drivers speeding in the yard. half of drivers not even attempting a proper pre-trip. runners and gunners. everyone looking out for only themselves.

most managers went home early.

and we wonder why teamsters and union is becoming weaker and weaker. it is our own damn fault. we have front row seats to the slow demise of the teamsters union. and the company knows it. see how the negotiations are going???? record profits year after year and we will still make concessions?????

stupidity. glad i am going out in June.

drac.........just keep on doing what you're doing. i'm with you there.

Dracula

No, it's in the DOT green book. All loads are to be braced or secured. We have a Teamsters memorandum on our bulletin board stating all of this. It also includes, "regardless the load percentage, loads MUST be secured."

If there weren't any load bars in the building, that sounds like a fact the DOT might need to know. It's absolutely ridiculous for a mega-corporation with the resources of UPS not to have the necessary equipment to properly--and safely--do the job.

QKRSTKR

Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Chapter 2: General Cargo Securement Requirements - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Check out section 2.2.1 talks about completely enclosed vehicles. I read it as long as the contents can't shift side to side, front to back, doesn't look like it would need straps, as long as the structure of the trailer is strong enough to support it. Some trailer loaded 100% top to bottom, front to back, may not need a strap or bar.

Definitly not super clear on what we haul. Take freight drivers, I don't see them secure their loads stop to stop, especially when they have contents loaded on single pallets all on the floor. Idk, I'm just sayin.

Dracula

uncanny.........i could of written the same post.

friday nite..........half a dozen drivers started 30 minutes early, working off the clock so their numbers look good. drivers speeding in the yard. half of drivers not even attempting a proper pre-trip. runners and gunners. everyone looking out for only themselves.

most managers went home early.

and we wonder why teamsters and union is becoming weaker and weaker. it is our own damn fault. we have front row seats to the slow demise of the teamsters union. and the company knows it. see how the negotiations are going???? record profits year after year and we will still make concessions?????

stupidity. glad i am going out in June.

drac.........just keep on doing what you're doing. i'm with you there.

I could write another long, long post about drivers and the pre-trips and they way some of these drivers scoot around the yards. But I would just be repeating myself and boring others. As far as feeder drivers working off the clock, that's a big NO-NO here. Guys will be all over your ass if they catch someone working free. I know package car people do that a lot, and that is stupid and dangerous, but I'm not in that division anymore. Besides, what good would it do? But feeder drivers working off the clock is asinine.

I agree with what you're saying, though. You just can't help some of these see what's right in front of them.

Last edited:

Dracula

Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Chapter 2: General Cargo Securement Requirements - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Check out section 2.2.1 talks about completely enclosed vehicles. I read it as long as the contents can't shift side to side, front to back, doesn't look like it would need straps, as long as the structure of the trailer is strong enough to support it. Some trailer loaded 100% top to bottom, front to back, may not need a strap or bar.

Definitly not super clear on what we haul. Take freight drivers, I don't see them secure their loads stop to stop, especially when they have contents loaded on single pallets all on the floor. Idk, I'm just sayin.

I'll try to get a copy and post it here of the rules. It was on Teamster letterhead, and is crystal clear. ALL LOADS MUST BE SECURED. Like all things management related, it is a convenience thing. If it is convenient, they'll do it. If not, they ignore it. Shear laziness.

Here is another example I know every feeder driver here has witnessed. You go to close your trailer door, and you can see the load bar or load strap secured, BUT, another 15, 20, 25% loaded in front of the securement. I've gotten into some heated arguments with sups about this. My point always is, what good is a bar or strap, when another wall is built in front of it? Again, this is pure laziness. You know what happens. A ltl load gets put on the door to be topped off, and the loaders are to lazy, or in too much of a hurry to drop the bar or strap before they add onto the wall. How much time would it take to take it down and throw it at the back of the trailer? 30 seconds? Good thing we don't do our job this haphazardly. We would have problems, accidents and terminations...but that argument gets you nowhere in this company.

A

anonymous6

it seems like they throw every obstacle they can so you will get out late. they dispatch you with a tractor that is not washed or fueled. they never hold the drivers accountable for that. the loads are not ready and/or secured. they don't hold the building people accountable for that. then you have to go to the shop to have something fixed on the trailer because the previous driver did not do a post trip and if they did were too lazy to green tag it. again, they don't hold anyone accountable.

and you get this at the outbound phone " why are you getting out late?????????"

it's enough to make you scream.

all we can do is the best we can. it hasn't changed one iota in 25 years and perhaps never will. if the general public knew goes on around here , would we still be one of the "most admired companies?"

A couple of complaints....

First, these are chiefly complaints, because not enough drivers follow the rules, follow DOT laws and refuse to stand up for themselves.

One, the load bars or straps that are REQUIRED BY LAW, just never seem to get put up. I've raised the issue with the part-time sups in the hub, my safety committee and my on-road sups. Starting with the part-time sups: they act surprised when I tell them that I can't, WON'T leave until EVERY load is secured. You would think these guys would understand that their workers are the main reason for load securement. But, no, that would assume these sups would be independent thinkers. Nope, no dice. I had one tell me that there were no more straps in our enormous building. I walked 30 feet, spotted a strap, and pointed it out to this clown. I had a night shift sup tell me that, "that's the twilight's problem. They didn't strap it up." No, I told him, it was now his problem because I wasn't moving the trailer until the load was strapped up, and it is not my job to secure the loads.

Two, I've brought this up to members of my safety committee, and all they tell me is that, yeah, we've brought the subject up many times, but they (management) won't do anything about it. So, why do we have a safety committee then?

Third, my on-road supervisors have started to get on this, but for selfish reasons. Any guesses? Yep, because we end up burying their on-property times waiting around for our loads to get secured. But as substandard supervisors are want to do, they write the pertinent information, then throw it away. My supervisor personally secured my loads three days in a row, then on the fourth day, when my load wasn't secured, I went to my sup and told him and he asked me how much was in my trailer. I told him 35%. He told me that a 35% load doesn't really need to be secured. I told him DOT rules state that every load has to be secured. He said that the reason for securement was to prevent injuries to people opening the door and that 35% would be in danger of falling down on a loader. I asked him, then, if it was ok for me not to use my seat belt if I was only backing my tractor up 10 or 15 feet, since there would be very little danger of me being injured from such a small distance moved at such a small low speed. Two other sups in the office piped up, "No, you ALWAYS need the seat belt on if the tractor is in motion." So I asked them why I couldn't pick and choose what rules I wanted choose since they wanted to pick and choose the DOT rules they would obey. My sup grinned and said he would bring out a brace bar to secure my load. Typical management behavior. Safety is a joke to them unless it is staring them in the face. And unless you shove it in their face, they could care less about it.

This wouldn't be such a problem if every driver stood firm and forced the issue at every dock door. But what I've found is that many drivers don't even know their loads are, by law, to be secured. And if they do, they either don't care, or are afraid to stand firm on the issue. Why? Who knows? Most likely, they get pressured about on-property times, and start rushing their routine. Most likely, they just shut that trailer door and go. It's the same reason why you might grab a by-pass load, and there is a problem with the trailer that any maroon could have spotted. Why? Because many drivers I see barely, or don't even bother with a post-trip inspection. I've seen other drivers fly by me on the road without any running lights on their trailers. There is only one way that could happen: cutting corners and not following the methods.

If every driver forced the hub to secure loads, it would begin to show up on feeder reports as excessive on-property times. If that happened, they would put the hammer down on the hub to get every single load secured. If we don't, as a group, force the issue, then only those of us who make them secure these loads will feel pressure. That's fine with me, because I refuse to break a DOT law because the hub can't do it's job. I won't take acceptance of the hub's mistakes, even if that means I have to hold things up until they're corrected.
It always seems to me that the package car drivers that go up to feeders bitch way less than the off the street hires. I guess that hard labor changes you.

QKRSTKR

I can understand the load bars being taken out of trailer. But the load straps? When you unload you just undo it and latch it to the other side of the trailer. No reason for them not to be in the trailers when the loaders begin.

Ive learned in feeders not to even walk out the door to your tractor until your start time. It says when you punch in not to start before your scheduled time. So I don't. In packages I barely had enough time to get to my locker let alone start early lol. As far as skipping pre and post trips, not gonna happen with me, I don't care how much time I take. I know I'm new and they'll give me leeway for awhile, but it's UPS and I know it won't last long. Too bad. I'm not skipping crap.