Feeder driver has man dive under truck

DeputyDip

Backwoods Hillbilly
This is an unavoidable accident no different than if a deer ran out and you plowed it. The driver will not be at fault for this.

Hopefully the driver will let the situation roll right off of him.
I agree feeder, I can't imagine what it would be like to experience this situation. Hopefully the driver understands in his own mind that there are crazy weird people in this world and sometimes stuff just happens and move on.

This is an unavoidable accident no different than if a deer ran out and you plowed it. The driver will not be at fault for this. If he is, he should make sure the :censored2: from safety that charges him with an avoidable accident is the next thing that ends up underneath his tandems.

I have no sympathy for the dead guy. He got what he wanted. Hopefully the driver will let the situation roll right off of him.
In our center, we get charged with an avoidable accident if a deer jumps out in front of us.

According to our fearless leaders, we are supposed to drive slowly enough to stop in the event that a deer or other animal jumps in front of us. Never mind the fact that we're on an interstate with a 55mph speed limit.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In our center, we get charged with an avoidable accident if a deer jumps out in front of us.

They can "charge" you with an unavoidable accident for farting if they so choose...we have no contractual right to any safe driving recognition or awards, and the company can grant or deny these items solely at its own discretion.

Should they attempt to discipline you (suspension or termination) for hitting a deer on a public road, it would not be upheld at panel.

A warning letter for hitting a deer isnt worth the paper it is written on.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
According to our fearless leaders, we are supposed to drive slowly enough to stop in the event that a deer or other animal jumps in front of us. Never mind the fact that we're on an interstate with a 55mph speed limit.
Isn't it amazing how a nerd wearing a business suit sitting in an office can make that call?

sdf6hr2

Death by Feeder driver?

no, death by UPS, motivation is not only ending it all.... but the survivors potentiallly get a big lawsuit/settlement from a fortune 500 comp.

a very unselfish act... (sarcasism)

(the following is opinion only) i think similar situations happen in "death by cop" incidents where stereotypically young, minority men feel the need to brush or pick their hair as 5 policemen with guns are aiming at them and yelling "put your hands up!!!!!"...... seems like the perfect time to attend to personal hygeine.... but that's just me

soberups

Isn't it amazing how a nerd wearing a business suit sitting in an office can make that call?

That is why the best course of action for us to take as drivers is to completely detach ourselves from the safe driving award program, and to accept the fact that whether or not we are "charged" with an accident has nothing to do with whether or not it was actually our fault or, for that matter, whether or not an actual accident ever even occured.

The only thing we should concern ourselves with is whether or not the so-called accident can potentially lead to our suspension or termination, which fortunately will be determined by a grievance panel rather than an idiot in a suit who never did our job and whose only "qualifications" for his position are his ability to kiss ass, make numbers and recite safety slogans.

I long ago stopped caring whether or not I got "charged" with an "accident". In the 22 years I have been here, UPS has never been able to come up with a coherent, consistent definition of what constitutes an "accident" in the first place....and whether or not I am "charged" with one is an entirely subjective decision made by a totally unaccountable person who has no concept of the job I do. Therefore, his/her opinion means nothing to me.

Charge me, or dont charge me. Give me an award, or dont. As long as I dont get fired, I could care less.

raceanoncr

I long ago stopped caring whether or not I got "charged" with an "accident". In the 22 years I have been here, UPS has never been able to come up with a coherent, consistent definition of what constitutes an "accident" in the first place....and whether or not I am "charged" with one is an entirely subjective decision made by a totally unaccountable person who has no concept of the job I do. Therefore, his/her opinion means nothing to me.

Sober, I kinda hafta disagree with some of this. Here it is: UPS DOES have what they think is a "coherent, consistent definition of what constitutes an 'accident' in the first place...".

I have in my possession (illegally, I presume) a copy of the manuel entitled, "How to Judge Auto Accidents Effectively". It is a three page policy manuel with criteria listed to charge or not charge a driver. One of the opening statements in the manuel is, "Basically, there is one question which should always be asked in determining avoidability: 'Did our driver take every reasonable precaution to avoid the accident?' ".

It goes on to list a series of questions to ask to see if our driver DID take every reasonable precaution-at intersections, pulling from parked position, hit others in rear (something that appeals to me but that's a different thread), we backed, we skidded, pedestrian, sideswipe, other hit us while we were stopped or parked.

I find it interesting in this manuel that the word "reasonable" is used quite frequently. In this case, where the man dashed under the feeder wheels, what would be the reasonable thing to expect if you were the driver? I saw a man get creamed under the loaded back tandems of a trailer IN TOWN! The driver must have been going 25 or less but the pedestrian just keeled over from the curb under the trailer. What's reasonable here?

If you are on an Interstate highway driving the speed limiit (ironically, HERE, they're saying you HAVE to drive the speed limit, which we've gone through countless times in the past but we have a new class in session again) and a deer jumps out from a ditch, what can they say is reasonable in this case? We are now having drivers get a warning letter for one (1) MPH over the limit if you hit a deer! What's reasonable?

I could go on and on about what's happened HERE. I do agree with you that we probably should get off this award thing. If the company sees no importance in that then, I guess, why should we? I, though, DO take pride in my PERSONAL driving record and want to keep that intact, irregardless of what the company does or thinks.

soberups

I find it interesting in this manuel that the word "reasonable" is used quite frequently. In this case, where the man dashed under the feeder wheels, what would be the reasonable thing to expect if you were the driver? I saw a man get creamed under the loaded back tandems of a trailer IN TOWN! The driver must have been going 25 or less but the pedestrian just keeled over from the curb under the trailer. What's reasonable here?

If you are on an Interstate highway driving the speed limiit (ironically, HERE, they're saying you HAVE to drive the speed limit, which we've gone through countless times in the past but we have a new class in session again) and a deer jumps out from a ditch, what can they say is reasonable in this case? We are now having drivers get a warning letter for one (1) MPH over the limit if you hit a deer! What's reasonable?

I could go on and on about what's happened HERE. I do agree with you that we probably should get off this award thing. If the company sees no importance in that then, I guess, why should we? I, though, DO take pride in my PERSONAL driving record and want to keep that intact, irregardless of what the company does or thinks.

In 22 years with UPS I have never heard the word "reasonable" involved in any discussion over whether or not an "accident" was "avoidable" or not.

FWIW, I have 11 yrs safe driving with UPS....and in 24 years of having a drivers license I have never been involved in any sort of accident. I have had a grand toal of one speeding ticket, when I was 18 years old.

On the subject of hitting deer---this seems to vary from area to area. In my district, hitting an animal on a public road is automatically deemed to be unavoidable. Apparently, other areas issue warning letters for the same thing. The fact that the company would be so stupid as to issue a warning letter for hitting a deer on a highway makes it impossible for me to take anything that company says about safety seriously.

DS

Fenderbender
This was a suicide.I doubt if the divee cared if it was a ups truck or a fedex truck...The driver is going to return to work in full knowledge that it was not his fault.This dude must have believed his life sucked so bad to want to die this way.He's lucky he died and didn't end up a lung and a head on a skateboard, irregardless.

raceanoncr

That's kind of a handy book to have around Race! Any other copies available? :wink2:

Yeah, but then I'd hafta make you run my run for a month!!!!!

Seriously, your department, or should I say, the SAFETY department should have a copy of this. How else would they determine avoidable or unavoidable? Well, we all know it's mostly a hit-and-miss routine and they just drive their decisions by the seat of their pants.

Keep in mind, this is not something they want you to see, so I doubt if anyone can get their hands on this...BUT...I plan on retiring soon so any contributions to the cause might go a long way towards seeing bits and pieces of this mandate, know what I mean?

over9five

Staff member
It's only three pages...

If anyone were to scan it and anonymously email to me, it might find a way of leaking out to anyone that wanted to see it.....

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yeah, but then I'd hafta make you run my run for a month!!!!!

Seriously, your department, or should I say, the SAFETY department should have a copy of this. How else would they determine avoidable or unavoidable? Well, we all know it's mostly a hit-and-miss routine and they just drive their decisions by the seat of their pants.

Keep in mind, this is not something they want you to see, so I doubt if anyone can get their hands on this...BUT...I plan on retiring soon so any contributions to the cause might go a long way towards seeing bits and pieces of this mandate, know what I mean?
If I went to my safety dep't and asked for such a thing they would look at me like I was a crosseyed two headed purple people eater. We are the bastard step children here and never get to have any of the ggod stuff, only the hand me downs.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated by many I'm sure. :wink2: