Feeder driver offered hub work

rkctkc

What kind of crap is this, it's effing peak season. I got called last night and asked if I wanted to work in the hub or take a layoff and be available at 12:01. How is that even possible with so many contractors working right now? This is such bs. I took the layoff and intend on talking to a steward about it sometime today.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
So you turned down an 8 hour paid day just to make a point?
He turned down the pay so he could stay home and still win the 8 hours in a grievance. They are giving contractors loads as soon as they are becoming available instead of holding them for the bid driver. They are so worried about the service failures of 2013.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
What kind of crap is this, it's effing peak season. I got called last night and asked if I wanted to work in the hub or take a layoff and be available at 12:01. How is that even possible with so many contractors working right now? This is such bs. I took the layoff and intend on talking to a steward about it sometime today.

That's :censored2:ing stupid. Every feeder driver should not only be working, but getting as close to 60 hours/week as they want with contractors pulling loads. Hopefully your steward is in touch with the BA on this one.

rkctkc

Come to find out, several of the guys that are under me took the hub work and then got pulled to drive during the shift.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

He turned down the pay so he could stay home and still win the 8 hours in a grievance. They are giving contractors loads as soon as they are becoming available instead of holding them for the bid driver. They are so worried about the service failures of 2013.
That's bs that they let contractors work before seniority drivers......but do you think he would win his pay through a grievance being they offered him work and he turned it down

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Don't know how it will work out. Personally, I didn't get a CDL to work in the hub. I worked in my hub 1976-1978. In feeders 29 years and they want to send me back to the hub. I think not. I Paid my dues

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's bs that they let contractors work before seniority drivers......but do you think he would win his pay through a grievance being they offered him work and he turned it down

I doubt he will win the grievance.

It does suck, but UPS has to keep the contractors working or they will leave.

The contract only guarantees 8 hours. The OP was offered his 8 hour guarantee but turned it down.

The contract does not guarantee that your 8 hours will be in feeders. If you are at the bottom of the seniority list, you may not get feeder work, but as long as there are contractors working, you will get your 8 hour guarantee at your current pay rate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you turned down an 8 hour paid day just to make a point?
Come to find out, several of the guys that are under me took the hub work and then got pulled to drive during the shift.

The contract only guarantees 8 hours. The OP was offered his 8 hour guarantee but turned it down.

The contract does not guarantee that your 8 hours will be in feeders. If you are at the bottom of the seniority list, you may not get feeder work, but as long as there are contractors working, you will get your 8 hour guarantee at your current pay rate.

Sounds like he should have worked.

UPS4Life

The OP might have a case IF they took people from in the hub to go driving. Then again we know how the game works they will just claim the trailer appeared out of thin air and needed to move NOW, not in two hours.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

I agree that he probably won't win the grievance as he essentially waived his 8 hour guarantee. He should have worked and then grieved being bumped out by a subcontractor.

I've heard of feeders losing out on extra work due to the subcontractors during peak, but I've never heard of a driver with FT seniority being bumped out of feeder work back to the hub during peak.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The OP might have a case IF they took people from in the hub to go driving. Then again we know how the game works they will just claim the trailer appeared out of thin air and needed to move NOW, not in two hours.

Yup. Present, qualified and available.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I agree that he probably won't win the grievance as he essentially waived his 8 hour guarantee. He should have worked and then grieved being bumped out by a subcontractor.

I've heard of feeders losing out on extra work due to the subcontractors during peak, but I've never heard of a driver with FT seniority being bumped out of feeder work back to the hub during peak.

I believe this is the first year it is happening. Just like the team runs eliminated.

Whether he can win it or not, it would be nice to hear the unions stance on this.

Bottom line, though, the contract only guarantees 8 hours, no more.

I don't have time to look it up, but I believe someone posted in another thread that they can get at least the same amount of hours that the contractor got. A local thing maybe.

rkctkc

Called the union hall, told me that declining the hub work forfeited my guaranteed for the entire day. I have no leg to stand on. Said I am only guaranteed 8 hours not necessarily in feeders. They can work contractors until the cows come home as long as I am offered work.

rkctkc

I honestly don't get how that is allowed. He said something about the bottom 15% with seniority aren't necessarily guaranteed feeder work, and no one without seniority is guaranteed feeder work. With a hub with close to 300 feeder drivers, why not just send the bottom 45 to the hub and use all contractors??

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I honestly don't get how that is allowed. He said something about the bottom 15% with seniority aren't necessarily guaranteed feeder work, and no one without seniority is guaranteed feeder work. With a hub with close to 300 feeder drivers, why not just send the bottom 45 to the hub and use all contractors??

Because they cannot get enough contractors willing to work for just 4 weeks to cover those 45 feeder drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Called the union hall, told me that declining the hub work forfeited my guaranteed for the entire day. I have no leg to stand on. Said I am only guaranteed 8 hours not necessarily in feeders. They can work contractors until the cows come home as long as I am offered work.

Gee, didn't see that one coming! :(