Feeder driver offered hub work

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Called the union hall, told me that declining the hub work forfeited my guaranteed for the entire day. I have no leg to stand on. Said I am only guaranteed 8 hours not necessarily in feeders. They can work contractors until the cows come home as long as I am offered work.

Gee, didn't see that one coming! :(

P

pickup

Called the union hall, told me that declining the hub work forfeited my guaranteed for the entire day. I have no leg to stand on. Said I am only guaranteed 8 hours not necessarily in feeders. They can work contractors until the cows come home as long as I am offered work.

Hey, you got blindsided. It happens. Live and learn. If it helps, pretend it was a guardian angel that set this up because you were scheduled for an accident that night.

av8torntn

Article 26

During peak season the employer will make every reasonable effort to use UPS employees.......

After doing so the employer may use other means to handle volume.

av8torntn

"make every reasonable effort to use UPS employees"

does not state or imply "in their original job assignment"

i assume it depends on your BA. It sounds like they just wanted to see who would take the day off since the other drivers who came in worked in classification.

If you read article 26 and 32 it's fairly locked down.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They use helpers (seasonals) thru the second week of Jan here.

Well, that's (Central Region) contractual language.

"(b) Seasonal Employees: Time worked from November 1st through the Friday of the second full week of January of the following year shall not accrue toward seniority."

Prior to that addition;

"This period may be extended upon approval from the Local Union."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-

10 point

Well, that's (Central Region) contractual language.

"(b) Seasonal Employees: Time worked from November 1st through the Friday of the second full week of January of the following year shall not accrue toward seniority."

Prior to that addition;

"This period may be extended upon approval from the Local Union."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-
Let me clarify my statement that was actually a question.

Feeder network subcontractors are included in the two week extention?

The post was in response to the "4 week" statement posted prior to mine.

Johney

Could the OP (if he had accepted hub work) have filed for the difference in pay between his inside work and the hours the contractor worked?
We are told here as long as gypsies are pulling loads we can work our 60 and ALL feeder drivers work, we bid as many feeder jobs for peak as we have drivers.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We are told here as long as gypsies are pulling loads we can work our 60 and ALL feeder drivers work, we bid as many feeder jobs for peak as we have drivers.

Thanks Johney.

I referred to this in an earlier post and forgot who said it. I was about to look it up.

This is a local policy, but should be the policy everywhere.

In other areas, the problem arises where the gypsy does not actually do the feeder drivers job. If the feeder driver had a bid job, was sent back inside and the gypsy did his job, he would win the grievance for the difference in pay.

Problem is, they eliminate the job, send the feeder driver inside, and have the gypsy take the load the entire way.

Meaning, one driver takes a load from WPOIN to SHAOH. another driver takes the load from SHAOH to CHAWV.

They eliminate these two jobs and have a gypsy take the load straight from WPOIN to CHAWV.

The displaced feeder drivers only have an 8 hour guarantee per the contract.

The other issue is when a feeder driver is on the pick board. He does not have a set run and is only guaranteed 8 hours if he works. They send him back inside and give him his 8 hours because the gypsies are running all the overflow jobs.

Every center, hub needs to have the policy where Johney works.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It is my question and a valid one. If a seasonal package driver worked and I was forced inside for eight hours I'd file on the difference in pay and I'd win. Why not a feeder driver?

Because all the areas of the country have a different set of rules and half the time, the rules that are different do not make sense.

Like I said, I would file on it. That is not the question.

The question is could he win the grievance?