Feeder Driver

Mechman

Hello Everyone
Is there anyone here currently a feeder driver? I'm trying to find out the requirments of becoming a feeder driver in other States. I am currently a Mechanic and I wish to become a feeder driver. But there is one thing thats holding me back. In my State, which is NY, we have two different Unions. The Drivers here are Teamsters in Local 804,while the Mechanics are Machinist in Local 447. I would have to lose all my senority to become a feeder driver, which I am not ready to do. Any similar issues out there.

trickpony1

I'm a feeder driver.
Never heard of this before.
Where I am from (sorry, won't disclose location), all union members are members of the same Teamster's Local. I've never heard of a mechanic becoming a feeder driver or vice versa.
Looks like you have some logistic problems to deal with.
Your last statement about "....lose all my seniority......" seems to answer your question.

Mechman

Hey Trick
A mechanic can becoming a feeder driver, but before he goes into feeder one has to become a package car driver first.(No Way) That I do not want to do.

O

omega man

I am a package car driver working out of Local 177 in NJ. If I transfer to ANY job, including feeders, I lose all my 20+ years of seniority. Local 177 has no respect for seniority. They are currently giving all the feeder jobs to new hires and low seniority members. These jobs should be taken by long term members but aren't because nobody wants to give up the only thing we have left, seniority. The whole concept of giving the best opportunities to the longest term members is completely distorted in my Local. This is all within the same Local so good luck with your situation. What we need are a consistent set of seniority rules for all Teamsters in all Locals.

DS

Fenderbender
Why would you want to drive a feeder truck ?As a highly trained mechanic you will never have trouble finding a better paying job.The years of training would be wasted and your brain will turn to mush.Why dont you expand your knowledge and take a new course,at ups`s expense.

trickpony1

Thanks Double Standard!
I'm startng to experience the early signs/symptoms of "brain mush", I just didn't know exactly what to call it. :)

xracer

I am from NY here and one of our mechanics would like to join the ranks of feeder driver but he was told that he would have to actually quit and be rehired to be able tlo make the switch because they are in a different Union as you stated. Mechanics in our bldg work at a rate of feeders hauling doubles here, whether that is relavant or not, but overtime is a rarity. In the feeder dept we have one or two run out of 19 that are very little overtime while the remaining ones are 55-60hrs per week.

xracer

In our local we can also switch back and forth between feeders and package as seniority allows, it is all one big seniority list within the barn. I just took my twenty plus years of seniority and moved into feeders in one of the top positions.

Mechman

Omeg I heard about the hiring off the street in NJ. UPS over in NY recommends the temp drivers that they hire during peak season over to NJ after they're done with them and if they were good drivers.

Good luck Over9five with CDL school, Congrats if you already completed the course. UPS also paid for my cdl course.

Xracer
I hear overtime is were feeder drivers make most of there monies, in Automotive the overtime is little to NONE except during peak and peak only.

Double the real money is with the overtime. Besides I am more of an outdoor person now. I do shifting moves for the shop only now, so why not get what the feeder drivers get.

Thanks for all the input too.

tieguy

Banned
Mechman said:
Omeg I heard about the hiring off the street in NJ. UPS over in NY recommends the temp drivers that they hire during peak season over to NJ after they're done with them and if they were good drivers.

Good luck Over9five with CDL school, Congrats if you already completed the course. UPS also paid for my cdl course.

Xracer
I hear overtime is were feeder drivers make most of there monies, in Automotive the overtime is little to NONE except during peak and peak only.

Double the real money is with the overtime. Besides I am more of an outdoor person now. I do shifting moves for the shop only now, so why not get what the feeder drivers get.

Thanks for all the input too.

Sounds like you are being treated as an outside off the street hire. The issue is not with UPS so much as the relationship between your union and local 804. While you're all union brothers local 804 has built in contract language that protects their members from losing their jobs to outside hires including you. Not passing judgement just the way it is. At the same time your union protects itself from outside hires or even feeder drivers coming in and taking your job.

Mechman

tieguy said:
Sounds like you are being treated as an outside off the street hire. The issue is not with UPS so much as the relationship between your union and local 804. While you're all union brothers local 804 has built in contract language that protects their members from losing their jobs to outside hires including you. Not passing judgement just the way it is. At the same time your union protects itself from outside hires or even feeder drivers coming in and taking your job.

Yes you are correct Tieguy, it is a issue with the Unions. But on the other hand my local allows 804 part timers to to join our local before some of it's own members can be promoted. Very unfair. But hey it is what it is right. Thanks for your input also.

trickpony1

I'm having trouble following this.

What does part-timers joining the local have to do with "......before some of it's own members can be promoted."?

I've been known to miss things on occasion...perhaps I'm missing something here.

opie

There has been so much growth in the North Jersey metro area in the past year. A lot of new openings, notably in feeders. A lot guys with less senority than me are going into FT delivery driver. And many package car drivers are going into feeders. And guys are being hired off the street as well. Anyone in the NJ/NY area looking for good job, should apply at your nearest UPS facility.

Mechman

Hey Opie, I went to the Meadowlands Hub last Friday, to inquire about available feeder positions, and I was told that they are only hiring OTR drivers.

tieguy

Banned
That sounds odd. OTR meaning Sleeper drivers? Generally from what I have seen you are a feeder driver first and then have the opportunity to bid on Sleeper runs as there are openings? Are they saying they could not get enough drivers to bid on the sleeper jobs?