Feeder Drivers, Beware of 53' Containers

For the second time in two weeks we had an experienced driver have a 53' 600xxx series container come of the chassis in high wind conditions. The first instance 2 weeks ago has documented photo proof that the trailer went out the rail yard gate with the locks in place yet it came off on a windy area of the highway. Todays crash was identical. Empty box, high winds, container came off.

If you pull any of these make sure the pin retainers are undamaged and in correct functioning condition. If not notify mgmt and do NOT take on the street until a good chassis is swapped in place or the retainers have been repaired. Remember, there are NO hot loads or cutoffs or any other reason to move the trailer until it is safe.

We have been lucky so far with no injuries to employees or civilians but you can only roll the dice so often.

014.jpg

015.jpg
014.jpg
015.jpg

The first crash was under investigation but it's pretty good evidence when UPS comes up with the trailer scan photos on the way out and it show the pins in place.

Todays crash was with a more experienced driver and after two weeks of mgmt saying "Check those pins" I find it hard to believe he didn't make sure. What's worse is he was followed by another one of our guys who was hit by the box as he tried to avoid it when it came off.

In the pics you can see how the box twisted the chassis (because at least some of the pins were still in place at the time) and even breaking the RR pin off.

Kis124

For the second time in two weeks we had an experienced driver have a 53' 600xxx series container come of the chassis in high wind conditions. The first instance 2 weeks ago has documented photo proof that the trailer went out the rail yard gate with the locks in place yet it came off on a windy area of the highway. Todays crash was identical. Empty box, high winds, container came off.

If you pull any of these make sure the pin retainers are undamaged and in correct functioning condition. If not notify mgmt and do NOT take on the street until a good chassis is swapped in place or the retainers have been repaired. Remember, there are NO hot loads or cutoffs or any other reason to move the trailer until it is safe.

We have been lucky so far with no injuries to employees or civilians but you can only roll the dice so often.

View attachment 8505

View attachment 8506

Are you including the one in MD? Our Chicago load fell off turning onto the road that my building is on..Not sure if weather had anything to do with it though

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The first crash was under investigation but it's pretty good evidence when UPS comes up with the trailer scan photos on the way out and it show the pins in place.

Todays crash was with a more experienced driver and after two weeks of mgmt saying "Check those pins" I find it hard to believe he didn't make sure. What's worse is he was followed by another one of our guys who was hit by the box as he tried to avoid it when it came off.

In the pics you can see how the box twisted the chassis (because at least some of the pins were still in place at the time) and even breaking the RR pin off.

I hope they're covered and the company does something about the problem. Safety first!:angry:

Pin lock retainers are garbage. Make sure you tiewrap those things.

The first one was. Can't believe the second one wasnt. They supply tie wraps just for that purpose. I double or triple them up and use the big heavy ones to boot. I believe if the retainers aren't doing the job properly the stress on the pins break the ties and then they're free to spin. I'm going to switch to a harder form of locking the pins in place and just keep the locks with me for each trailer.

This wasnt a matter of them blowing over ,D, but rather the two pieces of trailer separating. Getting blown over is a whole nother ballgame.

As I mentioned we had a scone crash yest 2/19. The one thing that was the same was that both containers were on black chassis. We also use orange.

image.jpg

Irregardless of chassis color make sure all four pins are locked and all four retainers are in proper working order as designed (straight not bent,etc) or the trailer should not be moved off property, rail or UPS. It is a safety issue so the directive of any manager can be refused until corrected. Of all the times and places to maybe be a little complacent or lazy this is not the one. Your life, the car next to you, or the next guy to handle the trailer is on the line.

As to the drivers involved, and this is only what I was told through the FNN. The driver in the first crash two weeks ago was allegedly terminated for "gross negligence" as the conclusion from the photos and investigation show that he didn't close the front pins completely. Did or did not, that's all I've heard as of this morn.

Driver of yest crash which was all but identical ,according to the safety person who told me, recalls checking the back pins for sure but not the front pins.

So,
both black chassis.
both empty.
Both high wind conditions.
2/19 was witches bossom cold, not sure of first crash.
First crash was well away from point of pickup.
Second crash was right out the gate on expressway ramp.
Both chassis, I've seen both, had questionable retainers on pins.
image.jpg

over9five

Staff member
No mention at all of this here. We move a LOT of containers.
You would think that as it is a HUGE safety issue, UPS would......I don't know..... LET US FREAKIN KNOW.

This is why a feeder pre trip should be as long as it takes.

Absolutely. But we have a responsibility to ourselves at the very least to do the PROPER PreTrip also. To be fair, we know there's "ding dong ditch" drivers also. Problem is this is one area that can bite you back.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I hope they're covered and the company does something about the problem. Safety first!:angry:

The company will (a) blame the driver and (b) invent a new acronym to recite. Nothing will be done about the unsafe equipment.

No mention at all of this here. We move a LOT of containers.
You would think that as it is a HUGE safety issue, UPS would......I don't know..... LET US FREAKIN KNOW.

Two in two weeks , its real big here. We had a long PCM this morn and I followed up directly with my mgr to make crystal clear sure how they wanted to handle this. They did have as part of the PCM that drivers are responsible for making sure trls are locked on all four pins. But they also said that they will back us up on us taking every step to make sure we roll with a good chassis. I was personally told if its not right, swap it, gate time be damned.

I really think, hope, that the guys moving these will pay attention now and mgmt is listening more now when we say it won't be moving.

The company will (a) blame the driver and (b) invent a new acronym to recite. Nothing will be done about the unsafe equipment.

The general consensus I'm picking up on is very "we're not fooling around" from both sides. Drivers are going to make sure they're perfect. Mgmt will listen when we say they're not. And god forbid you're the driver who cuts corners. Or a member of mgmt who does so also.