Feeder job posted

over9five

Staff member
A Feeder job has been posted, kinda a combination of two jobs cut.

It starts one day at 7:30 AM, and the rest of the week at 7:30 PM.

Someone will end up being forced onto this job. Doesn't seem right to me.

Whaddaya think?

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Where are the destinations for the job? Is it a 6 month or longer bid? The Monday morning start would be a turn off for me since I'm all about night work. The other four days would work for me. I've done similar jobs off of our cover list biding week to week. I bit the bullet on the early days(monday/Tuesday) to have the rest of the week with the night start time. My situation it was a week here and there not a 6 month or longer bid.

blaeux35

they did this at my location once. just think about it for a minute, you will have no weekend because you will be getting off at a minimum of 3:30 am(4:30 am with meal) saturday morning only to return at 7:30 am monday:sleeping:2

over9five

Staff member
I was just thinking it's hard enough to adjust to a sleep/awake schedule when you change jobs. Not sure how I would adjust to 12 hour different start time every week.

Destinations are all pretty local. Bids go up every day here with all the slicing and dicing going on.

Feederdrivermack

Our feeder open jobs are picked weekly and our permanent jobs are picked every 3 months. We have a ton of jobs that have double start Mondays and end on Thursday and a bunch of Tuesday to Saturday open jobs. I think it is absurd to start Monday morning 2am then come back Monday night at 9:45 pm. The feeder department used to be a good deal but UPS managed to turn this to garbage.

sano

Whaddaya think?

I will take it!:happy-very:
Currently I am getting up for preload at 3:00 am getting off at 9ish then going to a construction job until 4 or 5 pm. and recently when it is nice building decks on the side till dark.

(I know you all did the same things. Just part of paying dues)

bluehdmc

In North Jersey we have sun-thurs jobs like that. Start at various am, early afternoon Sun and then 7 or 8 or 9 or later Tue-thur. Like a previous poster said, sorta ruins something. At least to me they ruin Sunday afternoons, can't go to picnic or whatever because you have to be to work. Then you have the late hours the rest of the week.

Our contract says "no staggered start times". But we have these, during peak they'll try to post jobs that are all over the map, 8am one day, 10 another, wed off, 7 am another day, etc. etc. They try to say they are only available to the casuals, (since they're not covered by contract). Usually after the second week they don't post them anymore.

Check your supplemental and see if there are "no staggered start times".

blue efficacy

I will take it!:happy-very:
Currently I am getting up for preload at 3:00 am getting off at 9ish then going to a construction job until 4 or 5 pm. and recently when it is nice building decks on the side till dark.

(I know you all did the same things. Just part of paying dues)
Did they?

Back in the day, part timers were much better compensated adjusted for inflation.

Hell, before 1982, part timers were paid better in absolute dollars too!

I am sure a lot of the older drivers didn't have to work as hard or as long as we do outside UPS. But the Teamsters follow an ever increasing MO of "eating their young" so what can you expect?

Feederdrivermack

In North Jersey we have sun-thurs jobs like that. Start at various am, early afternoon Sun and then 7 or 8 or 9 or later Tue-thur. Like a previous poster said, sorta ruins something. At least to me they ruin Sunday afternoons, can't go to picnic or whatever because you have to be to work. Then you have the late hours the rest of the week.

Our contract says "no staggered start times". But we have these, during peak they'll try to post jobs that are all over the map, 8am one day, 10 another, wed off, 7 am another day, etc. etc. They try to say they are only available to the casuals, (since they're not covered by contract). Usually after the second week they don't post them anymore.

Check your supplemental and see if there are "no staggered start times".

Do you get doubletime for Sunday?
Our contract says they can have relief start times as long as the union is aware of these relief people. I have no idea if I am relief and I am sure no one else does either. The contract also states we are guaranteed 8 hours paid a day and a 5 day work week. It is a clear violation being we are only worked 4 days with the double start times. I would think we should get overtime for reporting 2x in one day but I am only a trailer driver.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
No, if you work Sun. through Thurs. you do not get extra pay for Sunday. For that matter, you do not get extra pay for working Easter either, if you are regularly scheduled to work that day.

tieguy

Banned

Whaddaya think?

might violate your contract language since feeder runs are usually bid by start times that can not change by more then an hour.

at the same time its one more job during a time when we're cutting jobs.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Ovah,,heard that from D.B who's on cover at BDLAP the other nite..I thought that the Local would nix it but they are allowing it !! How screwed up is that for your weekend?? I wouldn't want it but If I had to take it to stay out,I would have no choice!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Original post said that it was a combination of two job cuts. So, it is actually one less job.
is this you???? this should be your avitar!! Charleton Heston was the man !!!!:happy2:
omegaman.jpg

tieguy

Banned
Original post said that it was a combination of two job cuts. So, it is actually one less job.

with that said it now either gets covered on the daily sheets by whoever is on call or you create a job that combines it and at least give someone a run and schedule they can plan on.

In some feeder departments its better to have the run in place then to have it run of the daily coverage.

bluehdmc

What time are you starting on Sunday? Is it Monday morning 0001 or is your actual start time on Sunday.

These are Sunday jobs that start before midnite. Some start 11am then run say 7:30pm Mon thru Thur. Parsippany has a Sunday day sort, (the day sort doesn't run Fridays) and you bring rails Sunday for the sort, then Mon-Thur you may have a regular run. If you work a schedule Sunday start you get straight time, they have a cover list that they call in and a Sunday list (an additional day) those jobs pay double time.