Feeder jobs in NW

BigBeef42

Hey fellas,

Has anyone heard of new openings coming for feeders in the pacific Northwest?

At the begining of the year we cut back a large chunk of our day operations due to dwindeling rail volume coming from the eastcoast. The news is that ups lost the contract with BNSF rail.

Their have been rumors floating around that ups is going to be adding a ton of routes in feeder to bypass this issue.

What have you heard?

Is it true the feeder bid sheet is posted-up once per year?

I havent heard anything in a few months and now im getting the feeling that its never going to happen. Any word?

Sent using USPS

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
I start feeder school on the 7th and we're hiring 30+ in our hub and 70+ in a Dallas hub. Bid sheets go up as needed so sign when it does!

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I've heard they were going to add 30-40 feeder jobs in the Houston hub, 16 of them OTR jobs (sleeper) They were going to take all the west coast loads off the train that go into Mesquite and drive them straight to the big H with our own drivers. I believe all that railway's loads go to Mesquite first, then our drivers go north or Mesquite drivers drive south, since they don't service Houston directly. I'm guessing it would save a day transit time.

BigBeef42

Rumor that's not a rumor: if you don't take advantage of the feeder opportunity that's available now then don't complain later.

Dude really.... im friggin waiting... not complaining. Im here, asking BC, if they see ups actually making these moves yet and hiring.

Its all rumor until ups actually does something. Management hasnt said crap in months... im hearing the "rumors" from friends. No bid sheets in my hub yet.

Everyone ive spoken with in my hub states - the feeder bid list goes up only once per year, is this right?

I thought it was posted for every job they need to fill, just like package car?

I put my name on the feeder list in january, right before this rail contract drama went down, and im hoping they dont put up another bid list for these "rumored" jobs. Because, now everyone wants in.

Sent using USPS

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My son signed the feeder list here a couple of weeks ago and he said it was 7 pages long when he signed it. Feeders here posts whenever there is a need. I know we lost 12-15 drivers to retirement since Jan 1. I believe they figure on about 75% DQ/washout on the classes, so they always ask for more folks than they need.

BigBeef42

My son signed the feeder list here a couple of weeks ago and he said it was 7 pages long when he signed it. Feeders here posts whenever there is a need. I know we lost 12-15 drivers to retirement since Jan 1. I believe they figure on about 75% DQ/washout on the classes, so they always ask for more folks than they need.

Thank you! Glad to hear Ups is hiring.

Still no sign of Northwest hubs putting these bids up. It sounds like the South is where ups is doing most of its hiring.

Sent using USPS

trickpony1

Take the advice offered in post #4.
Sign everything that even looks like a feeder bid sheet....you can always decline the offer later.
If you get in now, you could, conceivably, have numerous people below you which would benefit you as far as seniority and bidding a run.
This is a period of growth, take advantage of it.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Get this. my son signed the feeder list and the package list. He's been part time (counting his military time) like 9 years. Package called him last week and he started class Monday. Evidently UPS is having a hard time filling the FT positions. They opened up the bidlist to the whole district. If people want to relocate, they can. There are 8 people in his class counting him. 2 came from a building about an hour and a half away. My son was the only one from our building and we have a large building here in Houston. The other 5 were all street hires. Sumthin don't sound right.

BigBeef42

Thanks Trick,

I always put my name on bid sheets. Ive been waiting 9 years for a fulltime job and completely agree with you- UPS is growing and new jobs are coming.

The reason why i started this thread is to see if anyone has seen ups hiring feeder in their region.

My hub has posted ZERO feeder jobs since these rumors began earlier this year.

Sent using USPS

BigBeef42

Get this. my son signed the feeder list and the package list. He's been part time (counting his military time) like 9 years. Package called him last week and he started class Monday. Evidently UPS is having a hard time filling the FT positions. They opened up the bidlist to the whole district. If people want to relocate, they can. There are 8 people in his class counting him. 2 came from a building about an hour and a half away. My son was the only one from our building and we have a large building here in Houston. The other 5 were all street hires. Sumthin don't sound right.

Wow, the whole district, thats crazy!

They say FT PC jobs arent the same as they once were. I know a handfull of part-timers with over a decade-in, that went into PC once before, and later dropped out due to layoffs and other issues, and will never try again.

Sent using USPS

feeder05

In the Seattle/Redmond area they will be training through peak and then after the New Year. The new drivers coming into feeders probably will never see packages again.

Hey fellas,

Has anyone heard of new openings coming for feeders in the pacific Northwest?

At the begining of the year we cut back a large chunk of our day operations due to dwindeling rail volume coming from the eastcoast. The news is that ups lost the contract with BNSF rail.

Their have been rumors floating around that ups is going to be adding a ton of routes in feeder to bypass this issue.

What have you heard?

Is it true the feeder bid sheet is posted-up once per year?

I havent heard anything in a few months and now im getting the feeling that its never going to happen. Any word?

Sent using USPS
Yea I heard that.

overallowed

The just had feeders school in my building. It was to replace retirees. One of the guys went directly to a road route, didn't have to fool with a pickup route, they will both have feeders seniority by the middle of August.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We didn't lose any contract with BNSF. It's a capacity issue, from what I've been told. They're moving so much oil by rail now from North Dakota that the BNSF can afford to put us on the backburner for the more profitable oil tankers. That's why we are adding so many feeder jobs, particularly sleeper teams. OR, so I've been told.

I just show up for work, man.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
We didn't lose any contract with BNSF. It's a capacity issue, from what I've been told. They're moving so much oil by rail now from North Dakota that the BNSF can afford to put us on the backburner for the more profitable oil tankers. That's why we are adding so many feeder jobs, particularly sleeper teams. OR, so I've been told.

How do sleeper teams work? I'm the type that likes to have a set route even if it's crappy and it sounds like in feeders sleeper teams are the least desirable bids.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigBeef42

Thanks dude.

Its been months since i heard the original story about bnsf.

From what i gather - its in ups's better interest to send volume from the east, go south to texas, colorado, and salt lake, and then go up to the pac NW.

All the feeder jobs are given to these areas first i presume.

Sent using USPS