feeder position

paidover95

I transfered to feeders last year after 18 years in pkg and 22.3 jobs.The feeder job itself is great.The way management treats you is totally different.You would think that you worked for a different company .The problem is that here in new england we have a thing called a" walk around."That is when 1 start time is changed on a run they rebid the whole dept.Being at the bottom is awfull.I was on 16 diffent start times on 7 months ranging from 11 am to 940 pm.Sleep deprivation does some awfull things to your body and mental health.That is the only problem with feeders I have found.If your area doesnt change start times like that,then feeders is a no brainer.Try it maybe it wouldnt bother you,Only you can answer that question for yourself.

spif91

I went from package to 22.3 to feeders. Take the job. Its the best thing you can do. I would have quit the company if I didn't end up where I did and certainly would never go back to package - not even for 5 minutes. You can make night work work to your advantage - don't buy into the myth that "working nights means less family time" because its all BS and there are plenty drivers rolling at night that would back me up on this. Also your'e driving when there is the lightest traffic and public interaction - another bonus of the night side. You'll get used to it and you'll never look back at package and regret that you left.:peaceful:

A class A drivers license costs 2000.00 or more to obtain. Having the company pay for this is a beautiful thing. I look at it as being part of your overall benefits and is one benefit that not everyone gets to take advantage of.

My CDL costs 78.00 for 3 years.........."2000.00 and the company paid for it"?....Your state must be different than mine....LOL

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
What branch are you working for,lol? If they hear that out of you they will drug test you. SOME feeder managers are every bit as big a d-bags as their package counter parts. Whats on your side is now you`re a more experienced ,wiser,employee who won`t be intimidated as you were in package.

My experience with managment in feeders, so far, knock on wood, has been very positive.

Spif, I believe what feederdriver06 meant is that it probably cost, on average, at least $2000 to attend a CDL training school. UPS pays for this training, at least in my locality, and obviously in his.

brownrod

A class A drivers license costs 2000.00 or more to obtain. Having the company pay for this is a beautiful thing. I look at it as being part of your overall benefits and is one benefit that not everyone gets to take advantage of.

My class A CDL was free. I just read the book then hopped in a truck and took the tests.

I did it old school. No formal training. This was way before I got on with UPS.

outta hours

Do it!! Sooner than later. I also had a chance to go in 1999 but passed it up because my son was so young. I waited until 2007. Still love it , but would love it more if I were in front of the 8 drivers that I am now behind because of my delay. But it is what it is.

Lots of good info here. It's not for everyone, and I have seen a few elect not to move up after their training. Like everyone said you do garner a great deal of respect for the job that you do. Funny part is the same on-road sups who used to browbeat you now will treat you like an equal or their best buddy whenever you see them.

trouble maker

My CDL license cost me $ 25.00 to get and 5 months of saturdays from 9:00- 10:30am through our local. They have two men that train UPS employees to get ready for the road test. They both do a great job.

gray squirrel

I got in feeders in 2004 but had the chance to get in 1999............biggest mistake I ever made not going sooner....My 2 boys were small and I didn't think I wanted to be gone from the house at night as the bid run I got and still have is a 9pm start Sunday nite thru Thurs nite. It is so much easier after the first month or so after your body clock gets adjusted to the change in sleeping habits. Is this going to be out of a center or out of a hub? Mine is the same center I worked pkg for 27 years so I still get to see my buddies I have worked with for years. We make triples pay here every night (singles is 29.35, doubles is 29.76 and triples is 30.16 hr) but am in one of the few states that allow triples so I don't know what your case would be in Ohio(don't believe they pull triples there but correct me if I'm wrong), very little supervisor contact in my case (I talk to my sup. maybe 10 times a year and he rides with us 1 night a year) as we know what our job is and go out and get it done without much problem or fanfare, the bad weather is a drawback and I'm sure you would have more trouble in Ohio than we have here, a 50-55 hr week is real commom but it is so much different working those hrs in a Mack or International tractor with am-fm cd player, a/c and a decent heater, XM/Sirrius radio and cb radio than doing it in a pkg car believe me.....My training was 4 days of classroom and driving a tractor around the vicinity of our hub and then a 5 day ride with a sup on my actual run...If you can drive a truck at all you'll be ready after that 5 night ride to get out there by yourself and get after it....the freedom you'll experience is well worth it....In closing I wouldn't pass up the chance. If I had I wouldn't have got another opportunity for 10 to 15 years unless something tragic would have happened to the 2 guys in front of me. Good luck and let us know what you decide..............
The bid is out of our center, pulling doubles. I signed the bid yesterday. The good out weighs the bad, also I love to hunt, so that would open up my hunting opportunites a bunch. Thanks for all the great information!!!