Feeder School

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I have a 2 part question, 1) How long is feeder school for a seasoned CDL driver? 2) What does the school entail?

I know of a few drivers who just went, so I've no firsthand experience. But, from what I have heard:

It's 2 weeks, which are not back to back. The first week is a Non-Production week (You don't get paid), where the first day is MOSTLY (or completely) paperwork and the rest of the week is gearing you up to take your CDL license test at your local DMV.

The second week is production (Where you get paid). I'm not too sure what happens there.

Sorry I couldn't be a bit more helpful

Johney

Does that mean I wouldn't have to do the first week?
You will have to do both weeks. If you already have a cdl with T endorsement I would think you would just have to skip the part where you go to the DMV to get your license.
Production week is were the trainer takes you on routes from your building to get you use to where you may need to go.

raceanoncr

UPS doesn't care if you're "seasoned" or not.

You will find, if you haven't already, they want you to do things, "The UPS Way", which may seem bass-akwards to you but do it anyway to pass.

On funny local example I know of first hand. A friend of mine, now retired, came out of package car. Had to do the whole school thing. Supe took him to DMV for the whole smear. Passed written. Went out for pre-trip, started to heel-kick tires. Examiner said, "You might as well stop right there. You're done". Our supe said, "Why?". Exam said, "You must thump tires with solid object such as hammer". Supe, in his usual arrogant "UPS Way" said, "No, THIS is they way we teach our new drivers". Examiner then said, "Well, it's WRONG and he flunked. Try again."

Another: "The UPS Way" is to pull out in intersection without shifting. Supe was with me one day for annual. He drove for his mandatory hour. Pulled out of truck stop on green light that turned red while he was starting thru. You think he'd fire it up and shift like he'd never shifted before to get outta the way? Nope. 1st gear (which I NEVER used) all thru the intersection. I thought we were gonna get T-boned. The scariest ride I'd ever had.

So, do what you hafta do. Don't argue and say, "Well, THIS is how I learned". Just do it, pass and when you're on your own, just safely drive as you think best. It worked for me for 32 years.

2Slow

In my area, you get paid for that first week once you make it through the 30 (work) day period and get approved as a full time permanent hire.

Sent using BrownCafe App

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
Thanks raceanoncr very good advice! BTW, 1st gear??? Too funny! I don't think I've used 1st in 18 years, my clutch either for that matter!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Another: "The UPS Way" is to pull out in intersection without shifting. Supe was with me one day for annual. He drove for his mandatory hour. Pulled out of truck stop on green light that turned red while he was starting thru. You think he'd fire it up and shift like he'd never shifted before to get outta the way? Nope. 1st gear (which I NEVER used) all thru the intersection. I thought we were gonna get T-boned. The scariest ride I'd ever had.
Silly,,,,but true !!!! They want full attention thru intersection with both hands on the wheel !! I got gigged for that as well !!!

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
I guess I'll have to practice using that for the class! What are the trannies, 12, 16 or 4&3? You never know how old the equipment a newbie starts in!