feeder school

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by porter, Jul 19, 2007.

1. porter

porter New Member

has anyone gone to feeder school from a porter job
  2. 705red

705red Browncafe Steward

You might want to be a little more specific! What area are you in? Different parts of the country have different contract language. Why would you want to give up being a porter for feeder? Brooms getting to wide?
  3. diesel96

diesel96 New Member

Can somebody Google "Porter Job"?....
  4. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

The Porter jobs in my Hub are part-time.
  5. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

Are the porters the guys who clean stuff up?

In my center the clean up dude is non union part time.
  6. bigrig

bigrig Member

this job is a contract job these people are not ups employees, but i have heard of shifters/in combo jobs going straight into feeders without any pkg del exp.
  7. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

This is beginning to sound like one of those things that vary from area to area. Our porters are part-time UPS employees. They clean up around the belts and sweep the floor. We have an outside contractor that does janitorial work, like take out the trash and clean the offices and restrooms. Our porters are all high seniority with twenty plus years, they originally bid off of sort jobs. They don't bid into Feeder where I am at, although they could probably bid into Package. They either don't want to go full-time or can't do the job.
  8. porter

porter New Member

:mad: I am a full timer with 31 years in the ohio central conference in dayton and have driven feeders and packages in the past for 25 years. The porter position came up and I jumped on it with the intention of retiring with 30 years at any age (53) plus full insurance. Since we all got shafted by the teamsters and mislead into voting for hoffa to get this 30 and out at any age, now I and tons of other people will have to stay a lot longer. The full time inside people (lowest Paid fulltimers) are restricted to any overtime at all.
    Feeder school came up and I signed up but was refuse because I didn'
    t have a years safe driving pryor to the school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. porter

porter New Member

our porters are full time union members here in dayton ohio and yes we are the janitors!!!!!!!
  10. ozzey

ozzey New Member

I was a feeder driver who went to a fulltime porter job . Years later I gave a letter to feeders saying as a qualified feeder driver i wanted to comeback. I was allowed to fill the next job opening. The key was i never disqualified myself from feeders, so I was still considered to be on the qualified list.{ It went to state panel}
  11. DS

DS Fenderbender

Maybe you'll need a year in pkg with no accidents to get in if you think your body can hack it.
  12. raceanoncr

raceanoncr Well-Known Member

Here, and notice I said, HERE, (cuz some people interpret that to mean everywhere), we've had porters go to feeders.

The rule HERE (notice, again the bold, cap letters) is that the intent list is put up in package car, OK? If not enough sign it there, then it is opened up to other f/t classifications in the building (meaning, PORTER or others). If not enough sign it there to fill requirements, it is opened up to p/ters w/ a CDL already in place. If not enough sign it there, it is opened up outside.

Notice, again, I said HERE!!!!! This is not a rule for everywhere, OK?
  13. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

Just so you know, Race, that doesn't happen everywhere...
  14. porter

porter New Member

what part of the country are you in and did you keep your dot card while being a porter
  15. porter

porter New Member

Where is HERE? I'm in Central States too...
  16. ozzey

ozzey New Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
  17. ozzey

ozzey New Member

I am in Nebraska and i did renew my dot card.