Feeder trailer overturns

automaticP1300

I believe he was coming off the interstate (turning left to end up where you see him) and the rear trailer hit the median. Just a hunch. From what I understand no one else was involved.

chev

Nightcrawler
any idea how to keep your trailer from flipping if you see it swinging from side to side?
When you say swinging side to side, do you mean wheels off the ground?

I had it happen to me going down a ramp. The air line to the rear trailer came off, so when I hit the brakes, the rear trailer "pushed" and came off the wheels rocking back and forth. I carefully gassed on it and pulled out of it. Scared the poop out of me but I learned a valuable lesson. Hitting the brakes only forces the weight of the rear trailer onto the pivot point of the dolly, which in turn causes the trailer to rock.

I think more drivers should take the defensive driving classes that some of the feeder supes go to in NY and Ohio. They actually have a course that puts you in these situations and teaches you how to deal with them.

local804

There was one that flipped over on the LIE in the summer(UPS short). I think it happens a little more than we hear about.

LiL"Comet"

Does anyone remember a long time ago when any ups vechile was in an accident of any kind management (who ever got there 1st) would take a sheet and cover up our trade mark to keep the media from getting coverage of it.

Then they finally stopped because customers still could tell it was a ups vehicle... just barley though lol

over9five

Staff member
Does anyone remember a long time ago when any ups vechile was in an accident of any kind management (who ever got there 1st) would take a sheet and cover up our trade mark to keep the media from getting coverage of it.

Then they finally stopped because customers still could tell it was a ups vehicle... just barley though lol

They haven't stopped...... They have spraypaint here...... You're right, tho, everyone knows its a UPS truck!!!!!!!!!

tieguy

Banned

Trucker A - you see that wreck back there

Trucker b- Yea I did, Man they got some big bodies underneath those bedsheets.

Trucker A- Naaaa couple of ups trailers. :happy-very:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
we had a guy flip his rear trailer in the yard just a few months back! definitely happens more than we hear.
did he jack it hard and forget to check his pin ??YARDS CAN BE DANGEROUS especially if your in a shifter jackng a box tight onto the primary where the ground is on a slope in most places!! I would allways keep the trailer low to the ground till I was straight,,then raise trailor to put on the door!! we hd a guy years ago in N.E area flip one turning around at primary trailer was raised all the way up and he jacked it doing a 360 it was ugly but he came out unharmed thank God !

Dutch Dawg

Watched an episode of WRECKED last week on SPEED featuring O'Hare towing. A segment of the episode was devoted to uprighting an overturned UPS pup. I can't help but believe there was a good deal of cringing in Atlanta when that aired.

The trainer told me to crank the steering wheel back and forth as hard as you can the opposite way the rear trailer is swaying.

You mean thats not right???

I think you do it that way so when you completely lose it the wreck ends up in a tight little ball which costs less to clean up.

I was never trained the method to correct a swaying trailer rather I was told to always be pulling when it came to turns,ramps,etc. If you are being pushed then you`ll end up in trouble eventually.

The curb in the pics doesn`t look overly tall to upset a trailer to the point of tipping until you factor in how fast it was hit. Was this guy going too quick,trying to catch the turn light? Glad it`s not me.