Feeders H.O.S. Question?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
About once every 6 months there would be a posting in dispatch. "you MUST take an hour meal during your shift every day." Signed by a feeder manager. This was before the 30 minute DOT rule. Well, they left it up to the dispatchers, who I got along with mostly. The guy I shared tractors with would be walking out when I was heading to the fuel island. If I took an hour meal every day, the guy I share with would have to wait an hour at SW. I asked dispatch, "do you want me to take a meal, or get back in time.?" Needless to say, my last 20 years with the company, I never took an hour meal on the clock. We never had enough feeder equipment to allow the luxury to do it the right way. In this case, the supervisor (dispatcher) could trump a manager's wishes, because if a guy stood around for an hour to get into a tractor and his load was an hour late leaving, the first one they would bitch at was the dispatcher. Fine with me, I'd rather get home an hour earlier and make the same money.

UPS4Life

@retiredtexasfeeder; that sounds like the way it should be. As long as your productive I don't see what it matters if you take 30 minutes or an hour. If you're waiting on central sort and only putting 30 minutes meal I see that issue but bring that up with the person not penalize everybody but I guess it's easier.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Pickles

You don't want to do the 20/10 to make 30 if your going out on the road though. If your going to do that you may as well do 17 minutes from 12:06-12:23 and it will look great on paper and if anything happens the defense lawyers will love that case.

Why not 20/10? It's 30 minutes rest period where you're not working. It's what I always do on road.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Whenever I've done this scenario, I park in the yard, take 20 minutes meal and 10 minutes paid break, jump in and break down and fuel. Just wasn't sure if I was wasting 20 minutes of my day to stay on the good side of the law or not.
I know it is here, but I thought it was company wide due to the lawsuit in California about meals. UPS policy is that every driver must take a 30 minute meal. Period. You only showed a 20 minute meal. It does satisfy DOT rules, 30 minute rest period, but where I am, it would be a warning letter for failure to follow. (Not showing a 30 minute meal).

Pickles

Not here. They've gone off and on with our meals. 31 minutes minimum one week, full hour the next.

Since the DOT law change, they've been cool with 20/10. But shifters and people that don't go over 100 miles have been taking just 10 paid and not getting anything said to them.

UPS4Life

The final rule requires that if more than 8 consecutive hours on duty have passed since the last off-duty (or sleeper-berth) period of at least half an hour, a driver must take an off-duty or sleeper berth break of at least 30 minutes before driving. Key word is off duty, yes on the log it shows as off duty but you're still getting paid for it. This is the same case if you work 60 hours and take a ten minute break everyday according to your ivis you can work 60 hours and 50 minutes because the

At the end of the day the driver has the last say. Same with equipment, if you don't feel safe taking something out on the roads don't. If anything happens that's your ass not your managers because he told you it was ok to take it. You are obviously set on if you drive less than 100 miles not taking a break when it clearly states you have to even if you don't run a log book you just don't log it also only taking 20/10. If you're willing to risk 34$/hour over a couple minutes more power to ya because if you ever get in an accident or get a dot check I doubt your supervisor will call up and tell him how the rules are or that he told you to do that.

Sent using BrownCafe App