Feeders - Proper coupling/uncoupling procedure?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You can tell if the snubber has popped out or if you forgot to engage it while going down the road because you get a sensation of "surging back and forth" is the best way I could explain how it feels. Sometimes the snubber won't stay engaged no matter what. You cannot refuse to pull a set because the snubber isn't working. Dispatch will say it isn't a DOT required item. You could always swap the trailers around on the set as long as the %'s are right, though.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
ya, the DOT will not red tag you if the snubber won't engage. it really comes in handy in a snowstorm though. i once switched the trailers in a semi-blizzard at a gas station ( for the lights ). i did not want that surging back and forth on snow and ice on mountain roads.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If you're trying to back a trailer and Dolly to the second box if you engage the snubber Will that help keep the dolly from moving back-and-forth so much or does that even matter

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes it can, if the dolly fails.

They also have problems with the new trailers. The kingpin is moved forward about 6-8 inches to accommodate the change in the front corners of the trailers.

By moving the kingpin forward, the dolly release handle sticks out in front of the rear trailer and UPS has had instances of the air lines to the rear trailer catching the release handle and releasing the latch.

Trailers have been dropped. Mostly at slow speeds turning a tight corner.
Do you know what series number wise these trailers are

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Now that I noticed these kind of things something that's interesting is how flimsy Some of these other trucking companies dollies are they don't look like they could even deal with the weight of the trailer

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Do you know what series number wise these trailers are

I think 37xxxx and up.

You can tell by the front of the trailer. On the old ones, the two front corners are cut at a 45 degree angle.

The newer one are just slightly rounded, like the long boxes.

They had to move the kingpin forward so that the tractors do not hit the rounded corner when making a tight turn.

barnyard

KTM rider
The pin release handle on the dolly will be sticking out from the trailer. It is completely under the trailer on older trailers.

Plus the front profile is different.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
But does if feel different when you bang the rig in there???

Sounds the same.

Here is the difference in the front of the trailers.

1461741723234.jpg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If you're trying to back a trailer and Dolly to the second box if you engage the snubber Will that help keep the dolly from moving back-and-forth so much or does that even matter
the trick is to get as close to the dolly as possible before hooking the dolly to front trailer. then it won't have a chance to "squirm" so much.

just like backing a trailer you'll be doing it with your eyes closed in no time.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
the trick is to get as close to the dolly as possible before hooking the dolly to front trailer. then it won't have a chance to "squirm" so much.

just like backing a trailer you'll be doing it with your eyes closed in no time.

Haha, speak for yourself. It took me years before I could hero hook-up without thinking about it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I haven't seen any handles that DON'T stick out past the trailer yet.

I haven't either on the new trailers.

Maybe they are in the process of replacing the handles, and have done all the ones where silenze is at, but not here. I still see handles sticking out past the trailer.

Here is a pick of an old trailer. You can see that the handle is recessed quite a bit under the trailer. There is no way a hose is going to catch this and release it.

20160427_031216.jpg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We have a guy who can back 2 and a dolly to a 3rd box...no thank you...
i used to do that all the time when i was pulling triples. you spot the 2 trailers with a dolly and then jack-knife the third trailer close to the dolly as possible and make sure it is lined up. then back the 2 into the third.

this was done when 2 trailers came in as a set from another hub and i had to put a lighter trailer on the back .