Feeders - Proper coupling/uncoupling procedure?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Haha, speak for yourself. It took me years before I could hero hook-up without thinking about it.
just trying to be funny but i think you know what i mean. you may build at least one set a day. maybe 2 or 3. that's 250-500 sets a year at least. after 30 years you do it in your sleep, ha ha.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We have 1 run in our building that builds 5 sets a night and does 6 occasionally.

It does get much easier with practice.
ha. that's too much work. my last 5 years was to build one set. exchange set for set with meet driver then break up that set at home hub.

easy-peasey-quick and easy.

so why retire? because i could while still young , healthy and wealthy.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It took me a good three years to hook a set with the dolly attached to the front box. But then, I've always had a road job, so the vast majority of the time, I never had to do it. Mine were almost always stacked, or the dolly was spotted in front of the back box. So I never really had to do it. Hence, the three years. But as everyone says, and everyone told me, one day it just clicks for you. For me, it was just getting over the mental block of trying it, because when you first try to get it, as most of you can confirm, it seems IMPOSSIBLE.

But it comes. Smash cut--for me--Monday morning, when my back box was between two long boxes with tractors attached, and my trailer was about ten feet back between those two tractors. I drove my front box with dolly in tow, to my spot, and backed up. I made several attempts, but realized I needed to drive back around and get a better angle. Next time, it took my three backs and pull ups before I hooked them.

In the past, I might have tried to back up close and drop the dolly, and push it up to the back box, then back the front box to the dolly, then hook up. But with time, you say, "Screw that. Too much work."

I had an old grizzly veteran try teaching my at first, but after watching me try it, he came out and the first words he ever said to me, were, "You can't back that dolly worth a friend$ck." He laughs whenever I remind him of that, and always reminds me, "But you can now, RIGHT?"

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
for awhile management disallowed us from hooking up that way because too many drivers were forking trailers. people were dropping trailers too low.

i really don't see how you can fork a trailer. i hardly ever did a straight back with a dolly. tried to back at a slight angle so that i could see the forks in relation to the trailer.

raceanoncr

for awhile management disallowed us from hooking up that way because too many drivers were forking trailers. people were dropping trailers too low.

i really don't see how you can fork a trailer. i hardly ever did a straight back with a dolly. tried to back at a slight angle so that i could see the forks in relation to the trailer.

Came upon that whilst in sleepers one time. Traveling from Louisville to CACH, then to Palatine, IL, we drove to where our set was SUPPOSED to be hooked, in a door.

All kinds of commotion there. Shop, Supes, spotters, the Pope. Spotter had IMPALED our back box. Not just make dents...it was seriously STUCK. They had to take the dolly apart because you can't put a torch to a loaded trailer, download that one onto another, while we waited....on DELAY time, of course.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
They changed out all the dolly handles for shorter ones. You probably wont see one that sticks out anymore with the new trailer

Had a 372xxx (new trailer) on the back yesterday. Dolly had the shorter handle on it. Totally recessed under the trailer.

I also see that they may be starting to implement the new dollies soon. They retract at speeds over 40 mph. Brings the back box closer to the front. Better aerodynamics.

1pocket73

2 things I haven't seen mentioned that happened to me.

1. When you connect your dolly to the trailer hitch,be sure and check height of the dolly fifth wheel to the height of rear trailer.Make sure it will slip under.I poked 2 holes in the rear trailer and got charged with an accident(tier 1)

2.When backing your front trailer to align with rear trailer,don't go so far as to touch the dolly.I was doing this before and 2 times I pinched the service brake airline hose putting a nice hole in them.Learned my lesson.You can stop 4 feet short and be fine,provided the sides are close to flush on the trailers.If you are off a little,you'll still be able to couple.Might be a bit of a crooked couple but it will work.

I like what some of the guys here said about developing a routine and sticking with it.Very wise advice. Look,as long as everything is hooked up properly it really doesn't matter what order you do it all in.Develop your routine and do it.

I have dropped a few trailers myself pulling away.Luckily I am in the habit of not just gunning it and trusting the trailer will stay up.I slowly pull forward until the fifth wheel is out.It's pretty obvious when the trailer is sitting on your tractor frame suspended in the air.Man,what a nightmare cranking them things back up from the ground,Especially if the trailer is full! I bet that has happened to more guys than care to admit.

Another thing about doubles.In tight parking lots when you are making U-turns,be careful how much of a jacknife turn you make.If you have to do a 3 point turn and the angle between the front and rear trailer becomes too acute,those trailers will collide and you'll lift that passenger side wheel on the rear trailer off the ground doing a sideways wheelie.

This place does not train you on EVERYTHING.They don't come close IMO.There are so many situations out there that come up and so many variables along with it.Unfortunately you'll have to learn some things the hard way.If you're lucky,they'll happen when nobody is looking and you'll learn something for free.If you're unlucky and someone sees it,then you get to be embarrassed.....which is never fun.

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
2 things I haven't seen mentioned that happened to me.

1. When you connect your dolly to the trailer hitch,be sure and check height of the dolly fifth wheel to the height of rear trailer.Make sure it will slip under.I poked 2 holes in the rear trailer and got charged with an accident(tier 1)

2.When backing your front trailer to align with rear trailer,don't go so far as to touch the dolly.I was doing this before and 2 times I pinched the service brake airline hose putting a nice hole in them.Learned my lesson.You can stop 4 feet short and be fine,provided the sides are close to flush on the trailers.If you are off a little,you'll still be able to couple.Might be a bit of a crooked couple but it will work.

I like what some of the guys here said about developing a routine and sticking with it.Very wise advice. Look,as long as everything is hooked up properly it really doesn't matter what order you do it all in.Develop your routine and do it.

I have dropped a few trailers myself pulling away.Luckily I am in the habit of not just gunning it and trusting the trailer will stay up.I slowly pull forward until the fifth wheel is out.It's pretty obvious when the trailer is sitting on your tractor frame suspended in the air.Man,what a nightmare cranking them things back up from the ground,Especially if the trailer is full! I bet that has happened to more guys than care to admit.

Another thing about doubles.In tight parking lots when you are making U-turns,be careful how much of a jacknife turn you make.If you have to do a 3 point turn and the angle between the front and rear trailer becomes too acute,those trailers will collide and you'll lift that passenger side wheel on the rear trailer off the ground doing a sideways wheelie.

This place does not train you on EVERYTHING.They don't come close IMO.There are so many situations out there that come up and so many variables along with it.Unfortunately you'll have to learn some things the hard way.If you're lucky,they'll happen when nobody is looking and you'll learn something for free.If you're unlucky and someone sees it,then you get to be embarrassed.....which is never fun.

I always just visualize the dolly when walking back. It's usually pretty evident when the dolly/trailer match is off.

As far as touching the dolly, the lazy drivers who never curl the blue cord into hole behind the pin ruin it for everyone else. Since many don't, you always have to remember to check that the cord is off the tip. If it is, a light tap is perfect to get perfect distance to minimizing how far we have to lift the dolly.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I always just visualize the dolly when walking back. It's usually pretty evident when the dolly/trailer match is off.

As far as touching the dolly, the lazy drivers who never curl the blue cord into hole behind the pin ruin it for everyone else. Since many don't, you always have to remember to check that the cord is off the tip. If it is, a light tap is perfect to get perfect distance to minimizing how far we have to lift the dolly.

I still see idiots that will wrap the air hose around the pintle. Back too far and touch the dolly and you will be going to the shop for a new hose.

I always leave them like this.

1462000802615.jpg

1pocket73

Yeah,I agree it really helps to get the perfect distance but I just changed my habit.I guess another way,which I was considering,is just to simply pull the Glad hand off and lay the hose up into the basket.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I still see idiots that will wrap the air hose around the pintle. Back too far and touch the dolly and you will be going to the shop for a new hose.

I always leave them like this.

View attachment 79734
that's the way we were trained. just common sense. it's usually the package drivers who came into feeder that wrap it around the pintle hook.

i used to compete with myself to see how close i could get to the dolly without touching it. after awhile could consistantly come within inches. hitting the dolly is just a lazy way to do it.

the last 10 years or so it seems like the new drivers ( in general ) do not take pride in doing their feeder jobs in a professional manner. I took great pride in doing the job right 95% of the time ore better and going out on top.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
How long does it take your mechanic to change out the hose?
if they have a hose already made it , it takes a couple minutes. if they have to make the hose up it takes 10-15 minutes. a lot of drivers carried this hose in the cab especially if you meet another driver for an exchange in the middle of nowhere. we carry a big adjustable wrench and change them ourselves if necessary.

drivers that did not do a proper pretrip would from time to time bring you a set with a bubble in that airline because it was hit while someone was trying to hook up. there may not be a leak but it would eventually blow so it would be better just to change it out.

mechanics appreciated us doing some of this work rather than having a road call.

oh ya, i forgot, some of the members here think i was never a feeder driver for 25 years.

Johney

a lot of drivers carried this hose in the cab especially if you meet another driver for an exchange in the middle of nowhere. we carry a big adjustable wrench and change them ourselves if necessary.
Electrical tape will also work enough to get you to your destination in the event of a bubble.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
if they have a hose already made it , it takes a couple minutes. if they have to make the hose up it takes 10-15 minutes. a lot of drivers carried this hose in the cab especially if you meet another driver for an exchange in the middle of nowhere. we carry a big adjustable wrench and change them ourselves if necessary.

drivers that did not do a proper pretrip would from time to time bring you a set with a bubble in that airline because it was hit while someone was trying to hook up. there may not be a leak but it would eventually blow so it would be better just to change it out.

mechanics appreciated us doing some of this work rather than having a road call.

oh ya, i forgot, some of the members here think i was never a feeder driver for 25 years.
And all this time I thought you were a stripper

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
How long does it take your mechanic to change out the hose?

Depends on how busy the shop is, or whether or not there is even a mechanic there.

Depends if you're at a podunk center or a hub.

Depends on how many people are in front of you in line to have something fixed.

And then there's the idiotic manager that wants to charge you with an accident.

If you puncture that hose and there is no mechanic there and you do not have a wrench to take the hose off the rear box, you're not going anywhere.

Try explaining why your loads missed the sort while you waited on an outside service, or a mechanic from a building 60 miles away to come fix your hose.

Don't wrap the stupid hose around the front of the hook and there won't be a problem.

MaceFremonti

The way I was trained was to wrap the airline around the pintle hook so that if the glad hand.comes loose.you aren't dragging it down the interstate for a few hundred miles.

When you pretrip your front box you should be checking the pintle hook's action as well as the grommets on the glad hands, since you have everything already open you can then route the hose up and around so that when/if you yap the dolly nothing gets pinched.

Same when you pretrip the dolly, you check the glad hand grommet then route the line so that it won't get pinched.

Personally, when I drop my back trailer and post trip it I open up the pintle and route the line so that the guy behind me is already to go, same with my lead after I drop the dolly.

1pocket73

Depends on how busy the shop is, or whether or not there is even a mechanic there.

Depends if you're at a podunk center or a hub.

Depends on how many people are in front of you in line to have something fixed.

And then there's the idiotic manager that wants to charge you with an accident.

If you puncture that hose and there is no mechanic there and you do not have a wrench to take the hose off the rear box, you're not going anywhere.

Try explaining why your loads missed the sort while you waited on an outside service, or a mechanic from a building 60 miles away to come fix your hose.

Don't wrap the stupid hose around the front of the hook and there won't be a problem.
Getting charged with an accident for pinching a 2 foot rubber hose is assanine! You got have a real jerk of a manager if that happens.That or you are a jerk of an employee and management is looking for a reason to get you.