Feeders, what do you carry with you?

trickpony1

If the company has installed the non-OEM bracket on the SC trailers to keep the airline from bouncing off and locking the brakes, what would that suggest?
(multiple choice)

a) the company is cozy with DOT
b) the DOT laws don't apply to our company
c) the company feels the DOT fines are cheaper than lawsuits caused by brakes locking up and the subsequent terror, smoke and loss of control of the equipment
d) all of the above
e) none of the above

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
First of all, with 3 years seniority, you gotta figure out a way to get rid of the go-go package car mentality. That kind of thinking will get you into trouble in feeders. But management is just like they were in package car, so you'll have to learn to stand up for yourself. Don't take shortcuts, and if you get behind, don't start rushing like you might in PC. That is when you'll make mistakes.

I carry an overnight bag into work every night. I get a lot of crap about it, but what do I care? It's what I need to feel comfortable. My boss was giving me a hard time a while back about how long it took me to get my stuff out of my tractor at the end of the day. Four minutes. Like I said, supervisors are just as stupid as they are in PC. He said I had as much stuff as a sleeper driver. But he was just mad because I'm always over-allowed and won a grievance against him.

Anyway, you will need to build a radio box, with a car stereo head, a CB radio and maybe some car speakers in the box. Somewhere in this set-up, you'll probably want a satellite radio too. And speaking of car stereos, if you have a Ipod, get a stereo with a bluetooth connection. That way you can play your Ipod music wirelessly through the stereo. They're not that expensive either, maybe $125-175.

I keep a couple of small cloth bags in my big bag. In one, I carry personal items. Stuff like lip balm, Rolaids, sunglasses (two pairs, regular and a pair with yellow lenses--I think they call them high contrast--that are lights out on cloudy days), wet wipes, hand sanitizer, cigarette lighter chargers for anything you need charged, Tylenol/aspirin/Ibuprofen, pocketknife, a sleep mask, reading glasses (if you're as old as some of us), and maybe most importantly, a good bluetooth earpiece for your phone. DOT regulations call for a $2750 fine if you're caught holding a phone at your ear. Most of the drivers I know have a Blue Parrot bluetooth earpiece, which are probably the best and will run you about $100 +/- a few bucks. These are my personal items.

Oh, stop the presses...A good pillow is a must..ok it doesn't need to be a good one, but you WILL need a pillow.

In my other bag is my 'equipment' bag. This is the dirty stuff, or the stuff that might/will get greasy. Get a few set of gloves, and the money you spend on these is worth it. If you go leather, go pigskin. Pigskin doesn't get hard after it gets wet, like calfskin does. Deerskin is real good too, but way too pricey for a Teamster. Deerskin is for Republicans, sir.

Get a couple of good LED flashlights. The little ones work great. COSTCO sells a pack of three that uses three AAA batteries and are as bright as you'll ever need. That pack costs about $20. Obviously, spare batteries are a must too. I buy a big pack of AAA's at COSTCO and tape about 12-15 AAA's together and leave these in my big bag. An adjustable wrench is pretty handy to have to. I have a set of adjustable pliers that can handle most things.

And about the grease...you will not avoid it. Like someone above said, make it habit to take those gloves off before you grab you door handle.

You won't, of course. You will get into the cab, drive off, get out, find a bathroom, look in the mirror and notice your face is covered in black stuff. This will not be avoided. Consider it a rite of passage of feeders. The joke I heard when I came back was you go through two sets of uniforms. The first set gets replaced when it get ruined from the grease. The second set gets replaced when you get fat.

Oh yeah, in my big bag, I put my lunch box, my thermos of tea, spare jackets, yellow safety vests and my journal of all of my hours, notes from each day, stuff like trailer #'s, arrival and departure times and anything that might be a holdup in my day. Because, eventually, they will start asking you why your day was long in this area, or that area. And they usually will wait several days after the fact. Take notes, and you will be able to shut them up.

Everyone has their own stuff, but just remember, you aren't typically going to be close by anything when you need something. So think of that when you pack your stuff.

But again, forget the package car mentality. Pace yourself. Who knows, I might see you some day in far West Kansas.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yeah, my instinct tells me that a zip tie isn't going to be the difference between the safety equipment breaking and a red hose falling loose. But what do I know? I haven't even been in feeders for two full years yet, but I've driven for UPS for 23 years, so I know how to protect myself. I do that by listening to those above me that I respect. Not just the hell raisers, but the guys who make sense to me. I'll watch my ass, and I will shove the stick where it belongs, but not just for spits and giggles. If I do it, you best be assured it is warranted.

Giggedy-giggedy....

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Looks like the zip ties etc may violate 393.43 but it's not completely clear to me. Instead of asking your management team I would call the DOT Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Bureau in your State directly and ask if it's legal and if not what FMSCA regulation they are relying on. Ours in AZ have very detailed manuals (with pictures!) of the violations that they will share if you stop and ask them.

A

anonymous6

all the best answers already posted.

all i can add is that our mechanics like the picky feeder drivers. we actually save them time in the long run by finding small problems before they become bigger ones.

also they are more than happy to give me extra plug in trailer lights, tape, ties, bunjees, all kinds of spares stuff, even tools. I have saved them from many on road service calls by switching out air lines or glad hands, fixing electrical problems and what not. my mechanic almost always goes the extra mile for me. if I have a problem he'll fix it the same day almost all the time. ( even though he has 30 trucks in his stable ).

it's all part of the ol fashion code. looking out for one another.

menotyou

bella amicizia
No , did you? Lol!!! (the lol would indicate that you would have known I was there IF you were there and was supposed to be humorous)
I would have bought you a drink. :p

I had the grands and we went apple picking. I heard Brian traded a new FT job created from the airport shuttle in the morning, as the kid averages 52 hrs a week, for some favor. The drivers aren't happy.

raceanoncr

After 3 years of being a package/feeder driver I'm finally moving into feeders full time on Oct. 29th. I'm trying to put together a list of things I should always carry with me. So the question I have is what do you keep in your tractors.

A short list, not necessarily in order, but important, nonetheless:

1. A giant bag of sunflower seeds to spit on the floor, pissing off the day/regular driver.

2. A box set of Sam Kinnison CDs

3. Sirius/XM connection with a paid subscription to the Playboy channel.

4. Satellite dish for under the roof faring, or cable enough for the obvious..."HBO AFTERDARK".

5. Enough pillows/blankets/coveralls/plug-in heaters to completely obliterate the passenger compartment.

6. One, possibly, two containers of Chlorox wipes...that you'll NEVER use and will completely dry up!

7. A spare 64 oz. cup that you never wash out and leave in the cupholder...further pissing off the day/regular driver.

8. One of those obsolete, beaded seat covers that always comes apart and you never fix and has to be thrown away by the day/regular driver.

9. A CB with all the bells and whistles, including but not limited to, one of those annoying echo boxes, reverb kits, pinger, etc.

10. A list of all the commentaries to be memorized this month so that, instead of texting on your cell phone, which is, of course, illegal, you can peruse during your drive, which, apparantly is NOT illegal since I have been asked to do.

Any questions?

EmraldArcher

#1 cell phone. Don't leave home without it. If you don't have one, find a way.

#2 satellite radio. I move heaven and earth to make sure mine works BEFORE I start work.

#3 a good, reliable flashlight. Gloves of course. Spares if you can afford them.

#4 If you are in cold weather, extra gloves, blanket etc. Survival stuff. Really.

#5 lot's of water.

#6 get some cheap tools and keep in there. Come in real handy.

#7 some guys carry an extra light cord or maybe an airhose assembly(blue/red) or perhaps a flasher(ask your mechanics if you don't know), electrical tape, duct tape,plastic zip-ties.

#8 Windex and some type of cleaner-409 or such and extra paper towels.

#9 spare pair of underwear and socks........you never know. BTW-an overnight kit if the weather turns bad......you never know. We had a feeder driver get stranded for 3 days! With no extra clothes, toothbrush etc.

Don't feeder drivers make like 70K a year?

W

want to retire

Don't feeder drivers make like 70K a year?

I've had a $5 pairs of gloves last a few minutes brand new. Yeah, we're all rich. They pay us from a money tree that grows out back. Some of this stuff is so greasy.........well, you might see some day. It all adds up.

EmraldArcher

NEW MALE URINE BOTTLE CAMPING TRAVEL URINAL TRAVEL PEE BOTTLE PISSER on eBay!

One of these:

$(KGrHqEOKjEE5e2LQ8m!BObkB+SjSQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqEOKjEE5e2LQ8m!BObkB+SjSQ~~60_57.JPG

Nimnim

The Nim
I'd personally be inclined to bring a firearm, you never know what to expect, but I'm sure UPS would seriously discourage if not already have banned it.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You might want to add the Blessed Mother to the dash if you gottah drive through South Boston,The North End and especially Charlestown !! Helps stop the Irish, or the Italians(North End) from clubbing you !!