Feeders

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Oh I think everyone would agree that you are not getting rich making low 6 figures, especially with the cost of living these days, in fact isn't the low 6 figures essentially the new middle class these days.
I make this argument for us as ups drivers. Everyone makes a huge deal out of the fact that some of us are pulling in 6 figures now.

I say this isn't 1980 low 6 figures doesn't suddenly mean ill never have to worry about anything ever again. It's good money yes but it's not like I'm wealthy.

White Line

I assumed express because I asked if he had to buy his own truck and everything else. He said nope. Just like ups drive from a to b they unload you then drive back.

Like I said I have no idea about how FedEx works. That's why I came to ask you all. Thanks a lot for all the info. I thought it sounded too good to be true and sounds like it was.
Got it, however it also could be FedEx Freight which like Express is company employees and company equipment, on a side note I do know of a FedEx freight line driver in my region that made $107,000 gross in one year, but keep in mind this guy was #1 on the line board and ran 3120 miles a week at triples pay (he was running 6 days a week).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Got it, however it also could be FedEx Freight which like Express is company employees and company equipment, on a side note I do know of a FedEx freight line driver in my region that made $107,000 gross in one year, but keep in mind this guy was #1 on the line board and ran 3120 miles a week at triples pay (he was running 6 days a week).

FedEx Freight drivers make less than Express RTDs, but top-out much faster than Express because they are under the NLRA, not the RLA. It might be possible for a Freight driver to make that much, but I'm not familiar with Freight's line haul pay structure. Given that it is FedEx we're talking about, I tend to doubt it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not sure what a line driver is but this job would be drive a little over 200 miles then drive back. Be home every night. Not a big money gig by the sound of it.

White Line

I make this argument for us as ups drivers. Everyone makes a huge deal out of the fact that some of us are pulling in 6 figures now.

I say this isn't 1980 low 6 figures doesn't suddenly mean ill never have to worry about anything ever again. It's good money yes but it's not like I'm wealthy.
Yeah no doubt man, just look at how everything has gone up in price, as a example I remember when I was still in high school back in 1990 I went with my dad to a Ford dealership, he was looking at new pickups, I remember price tags like $10,000-$12,000 back then, go to a dealership now and you will see $40,000-$50,000 price tags what the hell, wasn't the pickup truck at one time the vehicle that every typical working man could afford.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not sure what a line driver is but this job would be drive a little over 200 miles then drive back. Be home every night. Not a big money gig by the sound of it.

No. Line drivers are typically paid by the mile, so unless you run a lot of miles, the pay is low. Your best deal would be to get an hourly job at a union carrier, which is easier said than done. Notice I said union. I know of nobody but WalMart (ironically) that pays good money to drivers and is non-union.

White Line

Yeah that's what's known as a linehaul run, that's why they are called line drivers, it is a term that they use in the LTL freight industry, as opposed to over the road driving.

White Line

FedEx Freight drivers make less than Express RTDs, but top-out much faster than Express because they are under the NLRA, not the RLA. It might be possible for a Freight driver to make that much, but I'm not familiar with Freight's line haul pay structure. Given that it is FedEx we're talking about, I tend to doubt it.
They are starting at 49 cents mile for line driving rate and it's $21.00 to start for the hourly, and are topping out at 58 cents mile from what I was told by one of them, and it's a additional 2 or 3 cents a mile for the third trailer if a triples run.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
An ignorant statement from an ignorant person.

Ah, the backbreaking work of standing around at the ramp and maybe pushing a couple of cans into a trailer. The the grueling work of driving them to a station. Then the torture of standing around while they are rolled off of the truck. Then you go to a bulk pup stop and sit around while they build the pallets, saving your energy so that you can use a motorized pallet jack to put 5 pallets on the truck.

The job is among the easier ones at this company and most RTD's who have held other positions aren't shy about admitting it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ah, the backbreaking work of standing around at the ramp and maybe pushing a couple of cans into a trailer. The the grueling work of driving them to a station. Then the torture of standing around while they are rolled off of the truck. Then you go to a bulk pup stop and sit around while they build the pallets, saving your energy so that you can use a motorized pallet jack to put 5 pallets on the truck.

The job is among the easier ones at this company and most RTD's who have held other positions aren't shy about admitting it.

Super ignorant. I'd love to watch you try and back a CTV...right over MT3.

MAKAVELI

Physically yes, but that doesn't mean it's easy. Your job on the other hand, probably puts a heavy strain on your mouth, knees and rear.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Physically yes, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

The RTD's say it is.

Your job on the other hand, probably puts a heavy strain on your mouth, knees and rear.

For some reason, you and MF seem fixated on anal and oral matters. Is there something the two of you would like to share with the rest of us? I don't make judgements on that type of thing; I think you're born that way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The RTD's say it is.

For some reason, you and MF seem fixated on anal and oral matters. Is there something the two of you would like to share with the rest of us? I don't make judgements on that type of thing; I think you're born that way.

Hell, I'll back over him with a set of doubles...blindside.

Artee

One of the easier jobs at Express.

I have to agree. I could never go back to the back breaking work of a courier. Even the managers say if they had to go back to DGO they would quit first. When I transferred over to RT 16 years ago they said "welcome to club fed". Heck we got guys that sleep 2+ hours a shift and if they don't get their sleep they complain to the managers its a safety issue...LOL. I have couriers that get upset because they think I should be up top helping loading freight into cans before I run them to the airport. Thats the FedEx of 25 years ago. Now I tell them to come find me in the break room when everything is done. I will be having another cup of coffee and chatting with the CSA's or on the internet.