Feeders

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I sure wouldn't.
If that trailer brake releases and you roll away you're gonna have a hard time explaining that.
Ask your mechanic if he can override the auto shut off. Our feeder dept has been known to over ride ours.

I wouldn't ask my mechanic as he could be putting his job at risk.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The difference between feeders and package car is like slave and master. We've all heard of a driver who went back to PC from feeders, it's just no one can figure out who it was.

MoarTape

Pull the plug so it won't show idle time.

I know the new ones are hard wired, no plug to pull.

Pretty sure there's a plug on the IVIS itself that you can pull. Either way, you have to be careful with that. I'd management has a stick up their butt, they can get you for dishonesty.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Pretty sure there's a plug on the IVIS itself that you can pull. Either way, you have to be careful with that. I'd management has a stick up their butt, they can get you for dishonesty.
Agree, trying to hide what you're doing can be construed as dishonesty. If it's cold I'll idle the tractor and run the heat and if they have any concerns about it I have no problem discussing it with them.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Agree, trying to hide what you're doing can be construed as dishonesty. If it's cold I'll idle the tractor and run the heat and if they have any concerns about it I have no problem discussing it with them.
We tried to get it in the contract that if it below 32 degrees that we can idle the tractor at will.

bill blutnach

Supervisor? Come out in foul weather? Then actually drive?

Highly unlikely.

I actually.did this last winter. Sat at the McDonalds in Frederick for 4 hours until roads were plowed. Couple of other feeder guys headed the same way were chilling there as well.
Ze road getting off der highway going to ze Mac Donalds was plowed ?

MaceFremonti

Actually funny story about that....

Feeder driver about 30 minutes ahead of me called me and said roads are really getting bad and that he heard on his CB that DOT had closed South Mountain to all traffic so he was going to shut it down at the McDonald's a little bit past Frederick. He told me that since it is in a strip mall there is room to get in and out with a 53'.

I didn't know where the McDonald's exactly was so he said he would text me the address. A few minutes later I entered it into my phone's GPS and began to follow the directions. I exited the highway and came to a light. At this point there was maybe 5" of snow covering the roads. The GPS was telling me to turn right. I looked down the road and I could see what looked like a strip mall at just about where the GPS had me going.

I made the turn and slowly went down what quickly turned into a single lane side street. What I had thought was a strip mall was actually just residential homes.

"friend * * k me", I thought.

There I was, in the dark, at 5:30 in the morning, trying to maneuver a 53' trailer through a single lane residential neighborhood in now what was 6" of snow.

At that point my GPS informed me that I had arrived at my destination.

WTH?

Just about then my "buddy" called me and said that he had given me the wrong address.

He took me close to an hour to safely get back out of the neighborhood and make it to the McDonald's. On my way out I passed a police cruiser idling in the neighborhood. The look on the officer's face was priceless as I inched past his cruiser.

I later found out my buddy had tried to avoid a traffic jam on rte 70 the previous summer by using some of the backroads near Hancock. He had another feeder driver following him and they came to a bridge that they could not go over. The other driver ended up having to back a set of doubles down a hill before he could get turned around and head back to rte 70.

He was not happy.

jerseyupser

The difference between feeders and package car is like slave and master. We've all heard of a driver who went back to PC from feeders, it's just no one can figure out who it was.
I have one guy in my center who went to feeders for a couple weeks and came back. I'm not exactly sure why.

jerseyupser

Actually funny story about that....

Feeder driver about 30 minutes ahead of me called me and said roads are really getting bad and that he heard on his CB that DOT had closed South Mountain to all traffic so he was going to shut it down at the McDonald's a little bit past Frederick. He told me that since it is in a strip mall there is room to get in and out with a 53'.

I didn't know where the McDonald's exactly was so he said he would text me the address. A few minutes later I entered it into my phone's GPS and began to follow the directions. I exited the highway and came to a light. At this point there was maybe 5" of snow covering the roads. The GPS was telling me to turn right. I looked down the road and I could see what looked like a strip mall at just about where the GPS had me going.

I made the turn and slowly went down what quickly turned into a single lane side street. What I had thought was a strip mall was actually just residential homes.

"friend * * k me", I thought.

There I was, in the dark, at 5:30 in the morning, trying to maneuver a 53' trailer through a single lane residential neighborhood in now what was 6" of snow.

At that point my GPS informed me that I had arrived at my destination.

WTH?

Just about then my "buddy" called me and said that he had given me the wrong address.

He took me close to an hour to safely get back out of the neighborhood and make it to the McDonald's. On my way out I passed a police cruiser idling in the neighborhood. The look on the officer's face was priceless as I inched past his cruiser.

I later found out my buddy had tried to avoid a traffic jam on rte 70 the previous summer by using some of the backroads near Hancock. He had another feeder driver following him and they came to a bridge that they could not go over. The other driver ended up having to back a set of doubles down a hill before he could get turned around and head back to rte 70.

He was not happy.
What local?

ReLooped

I'm utility...AGAIN!?
had one guy go back to package after the 1st week of training. i'll admit feeder is a whole different world than package. imagine my surprise being told to "slow down"! scheduling is totally different, and i'm a bottom of the barrel rookie again. but seeing what package driving is becoming, i'm glad i made the switch. it helps if you've got support from significant other. I've just finished the training period, but my wife can already sees how less "beat up" i look when i get home.

jerseyupser

had one guy go back to package after the 1st week of training. i'll admit feeder is a whole different world than package. imagine my surprise being told to "slow down"! scheduling is totally different, and i'm a bottom of the barrel rookie again. but seeing what package driving is becoming, i'm glad i made the switch. it helps if you've got support from significant other. I've just finished the training period, but my wife can already sees how less "beat up" i look when i get home.
So you think feeders is a lot better then package?

Dutch Dawg

...We've all heard of a driver who went back to PC from feeders, it's just no one can figure out who it was.
2 Toms, John, Scott and Marsha just during my short career. Although Marsha eventually must have figured out she didn't miss pkg as much as she had thought, cause she's back in feeders again.

Thinking our center must hold some kind of unofficial record with respect to this.