Feeders

Foamer Pyle

I tried feeders and could not stand it. The hours do suck. I tried a run that was a 12 hour shift. Guess what, you will only see your family on your two days off, and you will gain lots of weight, unless you don't eat. Lots of people here in Florida have tried it, and went back to package, like myself. I think it's a very dangerous job, and if you have an accident, people will be killed. There is no such thing as a fender bender in feeders. Give it a whirl, you can always back out before the production ride is over.

MaceFremonti

Where I am some guys barely do 40 and some guys do 60. If you are fairly high up on the Q list you have some control of how many hours you work.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I tried feeders and could not stand it. The hours do suck.

Biggest misconception of feeders. You will find more family time, hour for hour in feeders. In package car, I started around 9AM and worked 10 hours. That's getting off around 7PM. That's not much time at home and definitely no time to get anything done around the house or for appointments without taking the day off. That's definitely not the case in feeders. I work nights, work 11 to 12 hours and get off around 9AM. I see my family a LOT more now than when I worked in the torture truck. I can cut the grass, go to doctors appointments or other things that simply aren't possible in a day job. Working nights means no more rush hour traffic, both in your car and the tractor. Everyone worries about feeder night hours, but in reality, you have far more options with your time than you would in package car. You know how hard it is to get off in PC to get something done during daylight hours? Yeah, that doesn't happen in feeders.

I tried a run that was a 12 hour shift. Guess what, you will only see your family on your two days off, and you will gain lots of weight, unless you don't eat.

Well, this one kinda depends on you. Do you already eat like crap? Do you rarely exercise? If your diet is bad and you don't exercise, you WILL be in trouble in feeders. But that's on you, not feeders. You can get away with eating like a pig in package car, but that doesn't make you any healthier. In a way, it's worse, because you are ignoring your health. You really don't have that option if you have a road job in feeders. I know a lot of feeder drivers who are a lot healthier now, because their eyes get opened by a much less active job. If you are a fast food junkie, feeders will kick your ass. But don't fool yourself in thinking you're healthier eating that way in PC just because you keep the weight off.

Lots of people here in Florida have tried it, and went back to package, like myself. I think it's a very dangerous job, and if you have an accident, people will be killed.

Feeders is no more dangerous than package car. PERIOD. It's just different. Mistakes in feeders definitely get magnified, but mistakes are on the driver, in most cases. If you are a safe driver, you will be fine in feeders. If you are a burner in PC and carry that way of driving to feeders, you WILL be dangerous in feeders. That's on you, though. If you cut corners, race around and rush things in feeders, you are an accident waiting to happen. But guess what? The same goes in PC too. And don't think you can't kill someone in a PC. Safe driving is safe driving no matter what you are behind. Feeder equipment is to be respected, not feared. Obviously, no one ever got that point across to you.

There is no such thing as a fender bender in feeders. Give it a whirl, you can always back out before the production ride is over.

ReLooped

I'm utility...AGAIN!?
i had to do a run that started at 4am. on thanksgiving day. out by 15:15 and was able to still have dinner (at hometown buffet) with the family. doesn't bother me that the meal wasn't home made. just glad to be with my loved ones. If you've got a significant other who is willing to adjust to the schedule, it makes a world of difference. little by little i'm learning from the other drivers. the hours are a challenge for sure; but man i don't miss package one bit.

MaceFremonti

Peak IS work for me. I had to put a long chassis on our primary in between two other long chassis' with only about 30' of room in front. First time I've had to put a trailer on a door in about 7 months!

TG43

We are on the clock 24/7.

Actually working is another story.

Is there a shift that new feeder drivers typically start on? (A crappy one that no one wants?) I'm just trying to learn how this works. Work with me here. I gotta get out of package and through these next few weeks somehow. Package is definetly not going to be a career for me.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You will start at the bottom so you will get whatever is left. But you will move up and have more choices.
Your start time. Where you go. Doubles or long box. Planned day hours. This is all listed on the run bid sheet.
My run is planned 8.3 hours. Today one of the busiest days of peak i worked 8.6 hours. Contractors can move the loads. I go home

MoarTape

You will start at the bottom so you will get whatever is left. But you will move up and have more choices.

This can differ from local to local. Here, if you're full time and come to feeders, you'll dovetail in on the extra board. Once the bi-annual bids go up, you may get a run. We have guya with 9 years full time that cant get a run. Part timers coming to feeders go to the bottom. Makes life miserable when you keep getting bumped further down the list.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Is there a shift that new feeder drivers typically start on
It's not necessarily a time that defines a crappy job in feeders, it's all about what the job itself entails. A crappy job might entail shifting, building and breaking 4 sets a night, going into a CPU and having to load the trailer yourself, etc. There CAN be crappy day jobs as well as nights. Just remember the saying we used to have when I was in feeders. "A bad day in feeders is still better than a good day in package cars."