Feeding animals on your route. On topic only...please.

Should you feed the animals?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
It's an open secret everywhere I'd think. Like those that do their sorting on lunch. I always had dog treats as a cover and bid driver. In my center, the drivers that gave treats to their dogs on route were generally happier people. I think you miss out on life a little by not treating at least a few dogs. I also understand some drivers don't like dogs too, and it's not risk free, but nothing is.

Indecisi0n

I don't get it , If you don't like dogs and the animal is out then leave the customers packages at the mailbox. I do this for customers dogs I don't trust.

slappyhappy

The previous driver on my route has been feeding the dogs for years. I don't mind feeding them. I leave a box of treats in my package car for the cover driver.
Anyone who runs my route has used their seniority to bump someone else off of it. So they are making a choice to be on a "dog" route. I maintain a 2 week supply of biscuits in the car, so all the relief driver has to do is put a few in his pocket and get to work.
Thanks for doing that. All the a-holes here take their box of treats when they go on vacation. It pisses me off.

Overpaid Union Thug

Thanks for doing that. All the a-holes here take their box of treats when they go on vacation. It pisses me off.
I quit carrying them in my truck because the cover drivers would use almost a whole box (as well as raiding my other supplies that I no longer keep in the truck) and wouldn't replace what they used.

For me a box of treats would last at least three or four months (sometimes longer) because I wouldn't give them to every single dog I encountered. But I'd take a day off and leave a full box in the truck and it'd be half empty the next day. And empty after a week vacation. That is ridiculous.

People that give treats to every dog every day are the reason every single dog in those areas are hyper every single time a delivery truck rolls onto their property. I've had to fend off so many dogs for that reason. Sometimes they are worse than the mean dogs. The treats should only be used for aggressive dogs that won't let us approach the delivery point. I don't even bother with treats now. If I can't get to the delivery point without having to whack the dog on the head (which I hate doing) then the alternative is as simple as sheeting as NI and leaving.

Last edited:

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Ok, how about this guy who showed up last week
image.jpeg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I go through at least one box of treats per week, sometimes two. So I buy in bulk when they are on sale and stockpile them. I currently have 6 unopened boxes in my locker, ready to go into the truck when my treat tote gets low. When I go on vacation I pack every nook and cranny in the truck with boxes of treats for the cover drivers. I have several customers whose dogs are frequent treat recipients who also buy me boxes of treats and leave them on the porch. And I get several boxes as Xmas "gifts" from dog-owning customers.

Am I overdoing it? You be the judge. I spend about as much on treats per week as a lot of people spend on Starbucks in a day. Zero dog bites in 29 years--zero cover drivers on my route bitten--zero dogs run over. I like those numbers.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I go through at least one box of treats per week, sometimes two. So I buy in bulk when they are on sale and stockpile them. I currently have 6 unopened boxes in my locker, ready to go into the truck when my treat tote gets low. When I go on vacation I pack every nook and cranny in the truck with boxes of treats for the cover drivers. I have several customers whose dogs are frequent treat recipients who also buy me boxes of treats and leave them on the porch. And I get several boxes as Xmas "gifts" from dog-owning customers.

Am I overdoing it? You be the judge. I spend about as much on treats per week as a lot of people spend on Starbucks in a day. Zero dog bites in 29 years--zero cover drivers on my route bitten--zero dogs run over. I like those numbers.

I feed about every dog that I encounter. I have been bit a few times but these were years ago while covering other routes. Routes on which the regular drivers care for the dogs and treat them kindly differ a great deal from routes which the regular driver is a dog hater.
Now, inherited my current route from a driver that spent 20+ years preparing the dogs by feeding them. They don't bother me and I treat them kindly with a treat. I even give them a friendly pat on the head.
There have been occasions that no amount of dog treats or kindness can convince a truly bad natured dog to see things my way. Case in point....a couple of weeks ago there were 2 aggressive dogs at residence. Usually the people will come out if you honk. This time they did not. In past experience with these critters I have been able to distract them with treats long enough to make it to the door and back to the truck. Not this time.....and thankfully the people came out and saved my butt. Why keep dogs like this BTW.
However.....there have been occasions where treats have won over aggressive dogs and they now allow me on the property with nary a bark.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Costco sells them in bulk.