Felony DUI as a part time employee

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I recently got a felony DUI away from work. I feel confident that I will keep my job except for the fact that I could be facing jail time. My question is what happens if a part time employee goes to jail? Automatically lose my job? I have a good amount of vacation time saved up, maybe I could use them while I'm away?
Thanks in advance

Depends heavily on how much time you'll have to serve. Your attorney (you have one, don't you?) will be able to give you an idea on this.

Many states let offenders serve time on weekends -- this would be ideal, but probably won't apply to a felony DUI. If it's around 30 days, you have a decent chance if you can combine vacation/personal time along with having a decent management team. If it's beyond that, your chances are pretty dim.

Even if you notify them, you can be fired for "an unauthorized leave of absence."

box_beeyotch

Does your state offer work release? Opt for that. If your facing time for a DUI you probably have quite a rap sheet and were hired anyway. I dont see why they would dump you now.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Usual speculation in this thread. Felony stop and arrest? Sounds like they're going to jail but for how long? How many offenses? What will the judge think when your record is opened and the details of the arrest go down? Hope you have a lot of vacation time.

clean hairy

One option might be to agree to have your Attorney try for the treatment option instead of jail, you admit you have a problem with drinking, are willing t oseek treatment, then you might not have to serve jail time, along with being able to take a Medical leave of abscence from work while getting treatment for your alchohol issue.
It could not hurt to pursue this avenue.
Of course, there could be tight restrictions after completing treatment.

box_beeyotch

Aside from the job issue, a bit of legal advice (take it however you want to)...in these cases or any always hire a private attorney and do not use a public defender. Do you really trust someone representing you who works for the same people prosecuting you?

moldsporh

I thought ups' policy on felonies was you can't work for the company, or is that before you start work with the company?

I don't know.

Have you been convicted yet or only charged?

If charged, I would strongly suggest to start selling items to pay for a lawyer if you cannot afford one. You don't want a felony on your rap sheet. This will follow you for life.

Get sober and make some better choices. I wish you the best, teamster to teamster.

box_beeyotch

I thought ups' policy on felonies was you can't work for the company, or is that before you start work with the company?

I don't know.

Have you been convicted yet or only charged?

If charged, I would strongly suggest to start selling items to pay for a lawyer if you cannot afford one. You don't want a felony on your rap sheet. This will follow you for life.

Get sober and make some better choices. I wish you the best, teamster to teamster.

All these messages saying "get sober/get clean". Just because you got a DUI doesn't make you an alcoholic lol.

box_beeyotch

"one is too many and 100 is not enough".

Get ready for it in 3......2......1.......

I'm just saying dude you can be "legally" drunk and still operate a vehicle better than 90 percent of the clowns on the road now. The problem is a breathalyzer of .08 or higher makes you guilty regardless.

moldsporh

All these messages saying "get sober/get clean". Just because you got a DUI doesn't make you an alcoholic lol.
My "get sober" response was pretty much a "get your s#!$ straight" statement.

I don't care who you are, when you choose to become intoxicated then operate a motor vehicle, you put my family and others at risk.

So is the OP charged or convicted? If you are only charged, then I would make every effort to reduce it somehow.

You DON'T want a felony on your sheet.

BUCN85

I worked with a guy on pre load that had major drug issues and UPS paid for his rehab believe it or not. He got his job back after being "rehabilitated" then got fired for stealing jewelry and video games during shift and then pawning them. So you never knoww

box_beeyotch

I worked with a guy on pre load that had major drug issues and UPS paid for his rehab believe it or not. He got his job back after being "rehabilitated" then got fired for stealing jewelry and video games during shift and then pawning them. So you never knoww

This sounds like we might be from the same building cause this happened before my time here but I heard stories lol

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I recently got a felony DUI away from work. I feel confident that I will keep my job except for the fact that I could be facing jail time. My question is what happens if a part time employee goes to jail? Automatically lose my job? I have a good amount of vacation time saved up, maybe I could use them while I'm away?
Thanks in advance

Maybe you could learn a trade while in the big house?

ihatewinter

Why is DUI a felony without an accident or bodily harm? A sober 80 year old kills a kid getting off the bus and that's not a felony?

Uhhhhh what. A drunk driver will cause more bodily harm then the 80 year old. A drunk driver has a choice to drink and then drive. If you are drunk enough to risk driving then you are drunk enough to risk other things while driving.

I see what you're trying to say but that is a REALLY bad comparison. And 80 year old has no control of their reaction time. They worked their whole life and most people that make the laws are older.
Yeah old people are a safety hazard but nowhere near drunk driving.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
The OP must have already been sent up the river since he hasn't posted anything since last week. Usually on your first DUI, you get probation and have to complete an alcohol program, 2nd one you may get 30 days, 3rd and beyond is a felony and you'll probably do 180 days.