Ferocious dog problem.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Please point out where I said that biscuits don't work.

What I said was our center manager discourages the use of dog biscuits.

Try to keep up.

Yeah, you're right, I'd rather throw an invisible stick. Have the OP try that. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY old center manager discouraged running over every day, doesn't mean we aimed to meet his expectations.

You REALLY think you're better/smarter than most, don't you? That's not a great way to make friends

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've had a couple that if the people are home I set the package just on my side of the invisible fence line in the driveway. And as long as the dog is out, that's where deliveries get left.

Dr.Brownz

hi i just started cover driving, I was wondering what some of you veterans do for any dog problems. Besides carrying dog treats.

Here is what you do.

1. You see dog and he looks like me might bite you
2. If applicable call out Hello UPS.
3. If no one comes slowly back up to the truck.
4. Leave infonotice on mailbox if safe
5. Sheet package as Not ready and put "dog" in the remark field

If you encounter homeowner explain you will not deliver to their house with an unsecured dog because it is a safety hazard. If they refuse, keep NRing their packages forcing them to come pick them up. Do not let management make you call the customer to get the package "I am not required to use my personal phone for work".

If your ever questioned about the NRing a package (apparently its a big no no in some centers because of some report that DM or some :censored2: with have an aneurysm over) "safety hazard" and "dangerous dog" are the key phrases to say to management people.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I've found that every dog situation is different. Some dogs love everybody, some don't like anyone except their owners, and most fall in the middle of that somewhere.
Some drivers are better with dogs, some are terrible, most fall in the middle somewhere. Figure out how most dogs see you, and work from there. I've found by using a combo of letting the good ones get to know me and trying to get the grouchy ones to accept me, s l o w l y and over a long time using biscuits, I've actually gotten to be better at gauging which dog type I'm dealing with at the time. Just like any other facet of the job, it depends on how much effort you can put into it. I've also NI1a lot of dog stops that were unsafe.

wayfair

swollen member
Carry fox labs pepper spray (stream). It works amazing. Perhaps get used to carrying it in your pocket at all times (2.5 ounce canister should do).

PS: Anyone saying you should carry biscuits is a maroon. Use common sense. Your safety comes first.

the maroon says " get some pepper spray."

Overpaid Union Thug

hi i just started cover driving, I was wondering what some of you veterans do for any dog problems. Besides carrying dog treats.

Honk a few times first and if nobody comes out then slowly approach the delivery point. Make eye contact with the dog every few seconds but don't stare it down. Don't show any fear as you are walking. If it approaches with aggression just raise your DIAD and prepare to whack the hell out of it and maybe kick it if you have to. When it pauses (which most will at that point) it will probably back off. That's when you want to keep eye contact and walk slowly back to the truck. Then sheet it as Same Day Will Call (or however your center wants) and right "DOG!" in the service cross. Then give the package to the clerk at the center.

If you actually do make it to the house/apartment and the dog ends up behind you try not to show any fear. Don't try and pet it or sweet talk it or make silly noises at it to get it to like you because that could back fire. Walk back to the truck and walk around the dog and be ready to swing that DIAD or/and kick the crap out of it. It sucks but it's either you are them. It's better to give them a good bruise than have them suffer through what happens after a dog bite if they don't have their "papers." Its a major hassle for the driver, the dog's owner, and the dog of course. But when it comes to getting attacked don't hesitate to whack that dog once you know it's coming for you. If it's close enough to kick/DIAD swing then it's safer to just assume they are going to bite. Later....when you have calmed down....you'll probably feel bad. Just remember that you did what you had to do. It's the owner's fault. Not yours.