Few questions about Lock-in rides...

Grey

- Does the on-road sup who rides with you hate it as much as the driver?

- How far over-allowed do you consistently have to be to get a OJS ride?

- Do they do it to cover drivers too or mostly guys with their own routes?

- Does it ever end up backfiring and they realize they need to take work off your route?

- Has a drivers gotten fired for poor performance during the 3-days?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends
Depends

Depends

- Does it ever end up backfiring and they realize they need to take work off your route?
Depends
No

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Just do your job like you normally would as if he wasn't with you. If they point out issues you need to improve on, consider them. If they want to call it a lock in ride, ask them if they can lock in the area you're doing and the stop count. Don't let their problems be yours, you get paid to be safe, drive, and deliver, wether it's a crap dispatch or a massaged one like on your "lock in" ride.

upschuck

I asked a sup that question recently, and he said that he knows that you will get done sooner with the boss riding with you, that he works harder too, when the boss is with him.

BrownTexas

I asked a sup that question recently, and he said that he knows that you will get done sooner with the boss riding with you, that he works harder too, when the boss is with him.
Days tend to go faster due to people thinking your in trouble so they don't talk as much as they normally do.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Work as though your boss is sitting there everyday and you'll be ok , many rtes are paid over before you even leave the building !!!! Use all methods and walk at brisk pace and there's not a God dam thing they can do to you !!

rod

Retired 22 years
Days tend to go faster due to people thinking your in trouble so they don't talk as much as they normally do.

People talk to you less, hold doors for you, go out of their way to help you, your loads are set up perfect and stuff that normally is a problem for you mysteriously gets put on someone else. The whole lock-in-ride thing is a farce. If by some strange chance it works out in your favor they will throw it out and say it doesn't count.

barnyard

KTM rider
Can you safely pull over every time they try to talk to you while driving because it is distracting?

I asked mine to quit talking because I could not concentrate on driving and remember my next address. I told him if we were going to talk and work, he had to have the diad so he could remind me of the address.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

1.Yes. All the stuff I didn't do for that day doesn't just go away.

2. 2 hours+ here

3. We haven't done any on a cover since I've been FT. Never paid attention when I was PT.

4. Sure it has. But contrary to popular belief it isn't always the work level.

5. Never seen it here. Haven't heard about it elsewhere. But unless you're just truly screwing around, I doubt it.

special brownie

Just do your job like you normally would as if he wasn't with you. If they point out issues you need to improve on, consider them. If they want to call it a lock in ride, ask them if they can lock in the area you're doing and the stop count. Don't let their problems be yours, you get paid to be safe, drive, and deliver, wether it's a crap dispatch or a massaged one like on your "lock in" ride.
Just had an ojs ride today. First one in ten years. Funny thing was my route was trimmed up. A lot less area, and just so happened my normal loader called out and my load was loaded perfectly stop for stop. Funny how that happens. Have to add just filed a few grievances for going over 9.5 while being on the 9.5 list.

Overpaid Union Thug

Usually they do. Especially if they were threatened with termination due your "poor performance"

Here its 2hrs+

I've never seen it happen to a cover driver.

Yes. Or they just make adjustments somewhere and all of the sudden (despite them having always said it wasn't possible to make changes) the route plans better.

Never in my center.

The first thing everyone needs to know about OJSs is that they don't mean a damn thing if you just follow as many methods as you can during those three days. Like you should be doing any day of the year. They should never happen but they do. They should be called Harassment Rides.

To me there are three types of OJSs. One is when the OCS already knows you're doing nothing wrong and is just getting on the car because they were told to. They have no intention of bothering you about anything.

Another is when the OCS is out to light a fire under your ass because they think you are a screw up. They will nitpick at your every move but they won't try and pursue any discipline over the infractions. Their whole purpose of the ride is to intimidate you into moving faster so that they can show the "improvement" to their boss the next day.

The worst is when the OCS has been threatened with termination by their manager (likely above them) and they are on a mission to make sure they ding you for anything and everything. They will burn you for not violating methods that no one in the center has ever heard of. But the major difference is that they will likely be extremely pissed off and will also likely not be good company while riding with you. It can get ugly if you are one thats not scared to verbally spar with a supervisor and can sometimes have trouble refraining from saying something that you might shouldn't say. Don't let it get that far. Pull over somewhere and cool off and call the steward immediately when that happens. Preferably before. Remember that its dangerous to be driving around in that big truck while pissed off. Even worse when the person that is riding with you is the problem. The good thing about this type of ride is that you'll know pretty early on if thats how they will be behaving. The best thing to do is tell them not to talk to you unless its absolutely necessary. And only while stopped.

One way to fight OJS rides is to try and stop them before they happen. File a grievance on over supervision. The contract clearly states that management can only ride with you a certain amount of times per year. I've filed that grievance and stopped a ride. It doesn't always work though. When it doesn't make sure you take a look at your load with your steward and if it looks amazing (and thats not normal) and/or has been cherry picked of lengthy stops (bulk stops, apartments, etc.) then take note of that too. That sometimes can be used to stop a ride or at least have that day's ride thrown out. But remember....even if they get on the car with you on a day when your load and dispatch are normal (not likely to happen) it still doesn't mean a damn thing. The worst that could happen is if you continuously demonstrate an unwillingness to follow the methods. They have to go through progressive discipline in order to even have a chance at that. But they've attempted it before. UPS can be pure evil at times. Its actually amazing just how far they will go. Just ask any business agent.