Fifth wheel pullers?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by superballs63, Nov 6, 2014.

1. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

So, I've come to notice that not every tractor has a fifth wheel puller, and many drivers take them and hide them away in their lockers......why is this the case? Shouldn't they just be in every tractor, so no matter who uses the truck, there's always a puller in it? I giess it's similar to handcarts in delivery, but I REALLY hate not having a puller and having to reach in under the trailer to uncouple
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Talk to management. All of our tractors have fifth wheel pullers. You should be able to get one from the mechanics
  3. feeder05

feeder05 Active Member

I bought my own and always take my home if I plan to have a day off or a vacation. Backups tend to lose them. Get your own and take care of it.
  4. robot

robot Large Member

Only half of our tractors have fifth wheel pullers. We got a bunch of rentals in and not enough pullers.

All the rookies have grease all over their shoulders now
  5. gorilla75jdw

gorilla75jdw Active Member

Somebody usually leaves the puller on the back deck of the tractor and then it falls off and is lost , thus starting a chain reaction of puller thefts .
  6. Pickles

Pickles Member

I just use my hand 99% of the time. Also, 99% of that 99% of the time I'll get a little grease on my shoulder. Oh well.
  7. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

I got into feeders so I could do less work, reaching under a trailer and pulling the release is too much like stretching for me to sign off on
  8. Future

Future Well-Known Member

I never pull my 5th wheel while working,but at home I am certified. Got a plaque from Congress on the wall!
  9. Sparkey86

Sparkey86 Member

Why? Don't you love grease on your shoulder?
  10. Sparkey86

Sparkey86 Member

We have very few dual axle tractors at our center so we really don't need a thumper with puller. We use a good hammer for the tires and a good yank by hand.
  11. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Keep pulling those fifth wheel latches by hand and then wonder, years down the road, why your shoulder hurts.

If that latch has tension on it, it won't release and you'll tear up a shoulder.

Have fun.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. gorilla75jdw

gorilla75jdw Active Member

EXACTLY , and cranking up and down stubborn legs that are stuck . It's all a recipe for torn rotater cuff.
  13. Pickles

Pickles Member

Holy :censored2:. You guys are out of shape if pulling the 5th wheel latch and cranking legs seems like work to you.
  14. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

If you need your own pin puller, check out the local farm supply for a hay hook. The handle is not as long, but it is long enough to work fairly well.

When I am breaking down a set, I hook the pin puller onto the wire to bleed the air from the dolly air tank while I am cranking down the landing gear.
  15. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

Why not just bang in the knob with the light plug?
  16. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Im not going to be able to put on 250lbs doing extra work like that
  17. VonDutch

VonDutch Bite your tongue, Missy

Because if there's still air in the tank and you move the dolly it could trip and lock the brakes again. It's quite the show to see someone do that going down the road.

To pull on the cord while you break the set, wrap the lightcord around the pogo stick and then hook it it the cord to keep pressure on it.
  18. VonDutch

VonDutch Bite your tongue, Missy

Better grease on their shoulders in Feeder than grease on their asses in Package Car.
  19. MaceFremonti

MaceFremonti Active Member

We were specifically instructed to no longer do this. We have had guys "get some paper" over this.
  20. OPTION3

OPTION3 Well-Known Member

Watch out----Management will get you for STEALING...trying to leave with that extra grease
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List