Fifth wheel pullers?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So, I've come to notice that not every tractor has a fifth wheel puller, and many drivers take them and hide them away in their lockers......why is this the case? Shouldn't they just be in every tractor, so no matter who uses the truck, there's always a puller in it? I giess it's similar to handcarts in delivery, but I REALLY hate not having a puller and having to reach in under the trailer to uncouple

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Talk to management. All of our tractors have fifth wheel pullers. You should be able to get one from the mechanics

feeder05

I bought my own and always take my home if I plan to have a day off or a vacation. Backups tend to lose them. Get your own and take care of it.

robot

Has A Large Member
Only half of our tractors have fifth wheel pullers. We got a bunch of rentals in and not enough pullers.

All the rookies have grease all over their shoulders now

gorilla75jdw

Somebody usually leaves the puller on the back deck of the tractor and then it falls off and is lost , thus starting a chain reaction of puller thefts .

Pickles

I just use my hand 99% of the time. Also, 99% of that 99% of the time I'll get a little grease on my shoulder. Oh well.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I got into feeders so I could do less work, reaching under a trailer and pulling the release is too much like stretching for me to sign off on

Sparkey86

We have very few dual axle tractors at our center so we really don't need a thumper with puller. We use a good hammer for the tires and a good yank by hand.

trickpony1

Keep pulling those fifth wheel latches by hand and then wonder, years down the road, why your shoulder hurts.

If that latch has tension on it, it won't release and you'll tear up a shoulder.

Have fun.

gorilla75jdw

Keep pulling those fifth wheel latches by hand and then wonder, years down the road, why your shoulder hurts.

If that latch has tension on it, it won't release and you'll tear up a shoulder.

Have fun.
EXACTLY , and cranking up and down stubborn legs that are stuck . It's all a recipe for torn rotater cuff.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you need your own pin puller, check out the local farm supply for a hay hook. The handle is not as long, but it is long enough to work fairly well.

When I am breaking down a set, I hook the pin puller onto the wire to bleed the air from the dolly air tank while I am cranking down the landing gear.

Johney

If you need your own pin puller, check out the local farm supply for a hay hook. The handle is not as long, but it is long enough to work fairly well.

When I am breaking down a set, I hook the pin puller onto the wire to bleed the air from the dolly air tank while I am cranking down the landing gear.
Why not just bang in the knob with the light plug?

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Why not just bang in the knob with the light plug?

Because if there's still air in the tank and you move the dolly it could trip and lock the brakes again. It's quite the show to see someone do that going down the road.

To pull on the cord while you break the set, wrap the lightcord around the pogo stick and then hook it it the cord to keep pressure on it.

MaceFremonti

Because if there's still air in the tank and you move the dolly it could trip and lock the brakes again. It's quite the show to see someone do that going down the road.

To pull on the cord while you break the set, wrap the lightcord around the pogo stick and then hook it it the cord to keep pressure on it.

We were specifically instructed to no longer do this. We have had guys "get some paper" over this.