File a complaint against a local union

PAUPSER

Has anyone ever considered filing a complaint with the NLRB against the union? Our shop steward, while a nice guy personally, is just the wrong guy for the job and the President of our local union is a neighbor and a drinking buddy of our center manager, which is a conflict of interests because doesn’t help any of us teamsters with any grievances; questions or concerns and he is basically a crony for UPS. So the question I have is what does one do in a case like this when the have numerous legitimate grievances and concerns that need to be dealt with in a fair manner.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have never gone that far but have thought about it, which answers your question better. One of our drivers center stewards, yesterday morning, had his arm around the C.M smiling buddy buddy and said "I told you I'd take care of that problem " (another driver). This guy is a known sell out, even another former steward called him out a while ago. You can't trust management or union anymore, just look out for yourself.

Let's put it this way; one of our stewards smokes cigarettes while preloading, inside the buildling! What "real" steward in their right mind would try something like that if they weren't making deals? I don't care and would not tattle on him because it's not my business to. However, that is a good ex: of the union reps for you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Has anyone ever considered filing a complaint with the NLRB against the union? Our shop steward, while a nice guy personally, is just the wrong guy for the job and the President of our local union is a neighbor and a drinking buddy of our center manager, which is a conflict of interests because doesn’t help any of us teamsters with any grievances; questions or concerns and he is basically a crony for UPS. So the question I have is what does one do in a case like this when the have numerous legitimate grievances and concerns that need to be dealt with in a fair manner.

If you are dissatisfied with your Union representation put your name down the next time elections are held.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I have been a UPS teamster for nearly 5 years. Never seen elections for stewards. I assume being in a right to work state might have something to do with it.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Stewards elections or appointment depend on local Union bylaws. All officers of local Unions are elected by the membership every 3 yrs. You people voted for them, if you don't like the way it's going vote them out! Stewards will most likely change with the executive board of the local Union, but not always.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Stewards elections or appointment depend on local Union bylaws. All officers of local Unions are elected by the membership every 3 yrs. You people voted for them, if you don't like the way it's going vote them out! Stewards will most likely change with the executive board of the local Union, but not always.

I've participated in elections for my local board but they must have appointed stewards in the by laws. Our locla leadership are engraned Hoffa cronies so they are not going anywhere. I think I actually offended my steward when I said, "Why wont anyone worth a crap run against Hoffa." I keep getting "we should vote you a steward" but that is typical of our local memberships ignorance. Our supplement is exactly the same as the master because no one gets involved. It really pisses me off. No one around here knows the contract or even how to write a proper protest letter. Sheep being led the slaughter.

22.34life

there is alot more to being a union steward than meets the eye,i myself am not a steward but know many who are very well.We have a steward in our building that kinda gets a bad rep just because every person that comes crying he doesnt say man your getting screwed you have done no wrong here or tells people that they can grieve something but they will probablly lose it.If your a steward and have been for a while you get sick of telling people you should file on that ,its an easy win and then they lose the grievance,so after a while you seem like your not on board,you know in bed with the company or something like that.What its really about is your buisness agent if he doesnt support the stewards than it makes them look bad ,they are the ones we see every day and its easy to blame them.Me personally i would rather have a steward tell me the truth rather than fill my head with crap that will never happen.

PAUPSER

First, no I didnt vote for my local president and the comment "If you are dissatisfied with your Union representation put your name down the next time elections are held" is so absurd its laugable. The bottom line is "we" have many cocerns in a our local center and neither the steward nor the local president union gives a sh** so what do we do now to help us with our grievances.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First, no I didnt vote for my local president and the comment "If you are dissatisfied with your Union representation put your name down the next time elections are held" is so absurd its laugable. The bottom line is "we" have many cocerns in a our local center and neither the steward nor the local president union gives a sh** so what do we do now to help us with our grievances.

What you do is stop whining about it and get off your butt and do something about it. It's really that simple.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

As with everything in life education is the key. Their really is 3 key education points for being a Teamster. Obviously knowing the contract is the biggest, but also being educated in being a Teamster, history, what it means to be a Teamster and how to act as a Teamster. Thirdly is political and consumer education as a Teamster, very important to understand the political isues that affect us as Teamsters. You want change start by educating the "SHEEP". Get everyone involved with going to meetings. The more people involved the stronger your local will be.

UPS Lifer

You obviously don't like your local union and you are unwilling to put your name in for steward.... What is laughable is you taking this any further. You would not get past the first phone call to the NLRB with your complaint. You have to be able to PROVE that the union did not represent you or another person in good faith. This would be extremely hard to prove. It sounds like all you can prove is that the local official is friends with a center manager and that your steward is a "nice guy personally". Now tell me..... what is really laughable here!!!! LOL!

Overpaid Union Thug

I'ver never seen a list or election here for union representation. And our center, which is an extended center, rarely sees anyone from the local. Most of our phone calls and voicemails to the local go unanswered. For these reasons I sometimes wonder if we even have a union. So, telling someone that complains about their representation to do something about it isn't always justified.

22.34life

What you do is stop whining about it and get off your butt and do something about it. It's really that simple.
this is such a bs response,you hear it all the time frpm people "if you dont like it you sign up for steward".The stewards have signed up to except responsibility for representing the members,they get no extra pay for this so you do it because you care.perhaps your statement should be directed more towards the stewards that dont give a damb rather than the op,if your a steward that doesnt care and does not want the responsibility anymore step aside.Maybe the op does not want the responsibilty of representing members,so does that mean the people who did want it get a free pass.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

this is such a bs response,you hear it all the time frpm people "if you dont like it you sign up for steward".The stewards have signed up to except responsibility for representing the members,they get no extra pay for this so you do it because you care.perhaps your statement should be directed more towards the stewards that dont give a damb rather than the op,if your a steward that doesnt care and does not want the responsibility anymore step aside.Maybe the op does not want the responsibilty of representing members,so does that mean the people who did want it get a free pass.

Which is exactly why I said he needs to stop whining and get off his butt if he really wants change. No, I am not a steward--probably the furthest thing from it.

UPS Lifer

I'ver never seen a list or election here for union representation. And our center, which is an extended center, rarely sees anyone from the local. Most of our phone calls and voicemails to the local go unanswered. For these reasons I sometimes wonder if we even have a union. So, telling someone that complains about their representation to do something about it isn't always justified.

It sounds to me that your union members have a much more legitimate case that could be filed with NLRB if the situation arises where you find yourself needing representation to keep your job. My first step would be to take the effort to go down to the local or send a registered letter describing the problem or lack of representation and see where that goes. If it goes on deaf ears, you may have a case.

Overpaid Union Thug

There must be an unwritten rule somewhere that states that we are not allowed to state negative opinions about someone's performance unless we can take their place. If thats the case then I should be running several countries, be the mayor of several towns and cities, be the President of the United States, and play every position on every sports team I've ever supported. LOL! I guess I better get started.

UPSSOCKS

Well sir, no one in the union really cares about you anyway. Atleast this guy doens't give you false hope. The union is dead and gone, nothing more than a pyramid scam now.. If the union had to pick between you and 20 bucks, they would pick the 20 bucks....

Fullhouse

You obviously don't like your local union and you are unwilling to put your name in for steward.... What is laughable is you taking this any further. You would not get past the first phone call to the NLRB with your complaint. You have to be able to PROVE that the union did not represent you or another person in good faith. This would be extremely hard to prove. It sounds like all you can prove is that the local official is friends with a center manager and that your steward is a "nice guy personally". Now tell me..... what is really laughable here!!!! LOL!
Well I beg to differ with that reply! We had some movie Teamsters file charges against our local for discrimination. After an investigation the NLRB slapped a $5000 fine per person against the Local!
If your Local doesn't take care of or address your grievance with in 6 months you have a right to file non representation charges against them. Any longer the NLRB will not deal with, that is from experience!
Funny how you tell the local they have 5 months and 2 weeks to take care of your grievance, and bam! They get it done!