File a complaint against a local union

There must be an unwritten rule somewhere that states that we are not allowed to state negative opinions about someone's performance unless we can take their place.

If that's an unwritten rule then I guess UPS should force all the rest of the operations managers to retire because that's all they get paid to do...

UPS Lifer

Well I beg to differ with that reply! We had some movie Teamsters file charges against our local for discrimination. After an investigation the NLRB slapped a $5000 fine per person against the Local!
If your Local doesn't take care of or address your grievance with in 6 months you have a right to file non representation charges against them. Any longer the NLRB will not deal with, that is from experience!
Funny how you tell the local they have 5 months and 2 weeks to take care of your grievance, and bam! They get it done!

I don't think we are in disagreement here. My impression with the original post was that the poster does not like the way the grievances are being handled. The poster feels that there is some sort of collusion going on.... and that may be the case. However, the poster needs to prove to the NLRB that that there is collusion... not the same thing as what you are describing above. He would need a smoking gun! Just because the steward is a nice guy and the President of the local is a neighbor and "drinking buddy" with the center manager won't cut it! LOL!

UPSSOCKS

If that's an unwritten rule then I guess UPS should force all the rest of the operations managers to retire because that's all they get paid to do...

huh??? What's wrong with you?? Do you just type meaningless BS for the heck of it... I think we have another union know it alll here.. Everyones laughing at you and not with you... Even if you don't notice them laughing.... They are... at you.......

huh??? What's wrong with you?? Do you just type meaningless BS for the heck of it... I think we have another union know it alll here.. Everyones laughing at you and not with you... Even if you don't notice them laughing.... They are... at you.......

I laugh everyday at what you allegedly do for a living.

hoffa1975

chk north endzone
I've participated in elections for my local board but they must have appointed stewards in the by laws. Our locla leadership are engraned Hoffa cronies so they are not going anywhere. I think I actually offended my steward when I said, "Why wont anyone worth a crap run against Hoffa." I keep getting "we should vote you a steward" but that is typical of our local memberships ignorance. Our supplement is exactly the same as the master because no one gets involved. It really pisses me off. No one around here knows the contract or even how to write a proper protest letter. Sheep being led the slaughter.

join TDU. campaign, get peeps involved. throw the cronies out! happens all the time. u can do it!!!!

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
join TDU. campaign, get peeps involved. throw the cronies out! happens all the time. u can do it!!!!
Don't get me wrong. We have a good BA.

While not a member, I use TDUs resources all the time. I'll even print out articles from the web site and leave them on the counter where we turn in. People aren't interested and I will not put my neck out there completely if I KNOW there is absolutlly no support for it. Sorry.

I still write protest letters for those who ask, go in the office when stewards aren't around and give contract advice. I am what one could refer to as a de facto steward.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have had elections in our extended centers. We have replaced stewards once in my career. I don't think a steward being friends with a center manager would have any affect on contract enforcement. Just because there is no yelling and screaming, does not mean that members interests are not being pursued.

Stewards are paid for their work. In exchange for being a steward, they do not pay union dues.

I have discussed lots of issues with my steward and have offered advice regarding safety issues and other items. What I have found, is that a grievance is filed, the manager dismisses it and the employee drops it. Very, very few are willing to take it beyond a sit down with the steward and the center manager. To me, that is not ineffectual leadership, that is individuals not following through with their grievance.

Most of our grievances are over warning letters. In these cases, the grievances are thrown out and the employee is told to follow the methods, that is what they are paid to do. Then the employees complain that the union is not backing them up.

I could not be a steward. Way to much whining to put up with.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Stewards are paid for their work. In exchange for being a steward, they do not pay union dues.

I and every other Steward I know pay dues, You need to be careful spreading around crap that is not true. The only thing I get from being a seward is alot more work. Most of which I take care of off the clock , in the evenings and on the weekends.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I and every other Steward I know pay dues, You need to be careful spreading around crap that is not true. The only thing I get from being a seward is alot more work. Most of which I take care of off the clock , in the evenings and on the weekends.

Sounds like being in management to me ... I would have thought you at least got DIP (Dues Incentive Plan).

barnyard

KTM rider

In my region it is true.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
+1
Here you can get your dues refunded to if you attend every single meeting at the Union Hall, I don't know of any steward who's ever done that. I represent people as a steward because I think it's an important job that needs to be done, I've never received any material benefit from it.

JonFrum

I tracked down the original crap-spreader :wink2: . . .
CONSTITUTION
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Adopted by the 27th International Convention
June 26 - 30, 2006

Article X
REVENUES, BONDING, EXAMINATION AND AUDITS OF SUBORDINATE BODIES, AND DISPOSITION OF ASSETS
Payment of Dues and Fees and Receipt Therefor
Section 5(e). A Local Union by Bylaw amendment may waive the obligation of shop stewards to pay dues, provided that the waiver shall in no way affect the eligibility of such shop stewards to run for office or their entitlement to any other rights or benefits, and further provided that per capita taxes due to the International Union and subordinate bodies shall be paid by the Local Union.

Of course, Stewards get paid at straight time and overtime for all time spent on the clock in their roll as stewards as well.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I'm starting the NLRB complaint against my Local 804 and business agent for not following seniorty rules
The union doesn't follow seniority, the enforce it. If someone else is being worked over you then that is Ups management's fault and you need to file a grievance. IF you've done that and they failed to fairly represent you, then you would go to the NLRB.

Indecisi0n

Has anyone ever considered filing a complaint with the NLRB against the union? Our shop steward, while a nice guy personally, is just the wrong guy for the job and the President of our local union is a neighbor and a drinking buddy of our center manager, which is a conflict of interests because doesn’t help any of us teamsters with any grievances; questions or concerns and he is basically a crony for UPS. So the question I have is what does one do in a case like this when the have numerous legitimate grievances and concerns that need to be dealt with in a fair manner.
Why go through all of that when you can just vote him out in the next erection?