File A Grievance

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
How many people here have filed a grievance? Is it common?

If you did, what was it for? Was there retaliation?

I ask because I am on the verge of my first one...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
First one with 20 yrs at the time, funeral pay was not submitted, No one told me they never got the email of the obit. Got 2 1/2 hrs extra pay.
I only did it coz some sup didnt do his job.
We get held to doing ours constantly.
Not my favorite thing to do, you have to really P*SS me off,
and he did.
No retaliation, they knew they were in gross neglect of duty.
Almost did it a few months ago when police report was not filed on someone who threatened to shoot me on route,someone who told my "boss" they would shoot at my truck, when push came to shove they filed it. Thats all I wanted. I prefer to handle things myself, and use grievances as a tool.

LED

About 10 years ago I filed a grievance for 20 hours pay. I was laid off from driving on a Friday (they sent me a message) and told to report to the preload and Twi the following Monday.

I show up and find the preload manager. He says sorry, but the package center has to give me a full weeks notice - You can not work for a week. Come back next Monday and I will work you.

I come back later that day and find my package manager. He says call the TWI manager to see if you can work. The TWI manager says come on in.

My package manager tells me "I guess you can only work 4 hours a day, sorry". I tell him that I am guaranteed 8, he shrugs his shoulders and walks off.

I find a steward. He says work 4 hours/day all week and file the grievance for 20 hours on Friday. I file, the next Monday the BA shows up, and my manager agrees to pay me 20 hours.

My manager then pulls me aside and says " You didn't have to file a grievance, I would have found you 8 hours of work every day. Next time just ask" . I decided to not argue about it, and just said "o.k.".

Nothing was ever said about it, no retaliation.

I have filed on excessive overtime (before the triple time rule), and an unjustified warning letter. Never heard anything about those. The BA (who has been replaced) was always "going to check on that".

Good Luck with yours.

3HrsOverAllowed

I file when it is necessary to get a problem resolved. Usually my grievances are for sups working, failing to recognize seniority, over 9.5, and harrassment. I have not been retaliated against before, but they definitely watch what I'm doing alot closer especially if it's a monetary grievance. Don't be afraid of exercising your right to file a grievance if the contract is being violated. As long as you let them walk all over you, they always will.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I file when it is necessary to get a problem resolved. Usually my grievances are for sups working, failing to recognize seniority, over 9.5, and harrassment. I have not been retaliated against before, but they definitely watch what I'm doing alot closer especially if it's a monetary grievance. Don't be afraid of exercising your right to file a grievance if the contract is being violated. As long as you let them walk all over you, they always will.
Well said, Hello my name is mat.............

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Is yours for a pay issue, LTD?

I have filed 2 grievances in the past.

One I was fired a week later, but got my job back. Long story but definitly retaliation and it didn't stick. Pain in the you-know-what, but was paid for it, and it was a supervisors working grievance.

Right now I am starting the grievance procedure for management stealing time from me and still also unpaid after 3 weeks. I have been adding up the minutes and it's up to 1.25 hrs OT which is now plenty over the $30 threshhold for a green check. Though the minutes were owed for weeks now and have yet to be input into the system. The friend/T sup admitted stealing the time to me last week in one instance (of many) If you're reading right now...shame on you, but do what you 'gotta do.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I have never been retaliated against. don't ever be afraid to file a grievance. I have found that the more you stand up for yourself and enforce your rights the better things are. If you let it go they will take advantage of you and things will get worse. They don't let anything slide so why should you. Hold them to the same standards they hold you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have filed.........mostly for 9.5's but also for pay and harrassment. Retaliation..............yes but it is sporadic. My biggest greivance I won was in the low 5 digit range (back pay). :happy-very:

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I filed a few grievances during my career. Most of the time it was because the supervisor told me to. The issue could not be resolved by talking about it locally so the process was put to work. I remember 2 of the cases going to the panel. Both times I won.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The company and the union agree to the contract and the members then vote on it. As a member it is your responsibility to uphold your end of the contract. And the same is said about management. If you have been violated then you must file the grievance. Once you show that you will not allow them to walk all over you they will stop trying.

Do you think the company would over look you if you were guilty of a cardinal infraction? Of course not!

rocket man

no retaliation nessasary. you write a letter of concern to union then it goes thru proper channels. make a copy for you and 2 for union. DONT USE A COPY MACHINE AT HUB CENTER WHAT EVER YOU CALL IT./