Filed Grievance on SUP for Harassment,been harassed since & left upset, then fired!

Hokies

Could someone explain to me how we are about the only work place that I can locate where, Men are 95% of your management & supervisor staff!? All supervisors in my Hub are kids in their 20's all out to look better than the other. It's a competitiveness for numbers game.
I had to file on a Supervisor for harassing me, while working in smalls. While he harassed me about production, I asked for a shop steward & was refused countless times. After he proceeded to be in my face, bringing me to tears I had no choice but to leave my work area to go look for my hub manager in hopes he would make him leave me alone. While walking to locate him, I was followed by the same supervisor threatening to terminate me for leaving my work area. I don't understand how they can be allowed to get in someones faces yelling about production. Long story short on this instance I filed a grievance on this SUP. Since that night, I have been given dirty looks & then moved from my job in smalls to loading. Retaliation if I do say so myself. I was given various reasons for the move other than the truth.

Then once again 1.5 months after being in a truck I begin to get harassed there as well. Starting with my sup running my belt moving me from doing two trucks & recycles in which he said I couldnt keep up with, so he moved me to a truck that receives the most & heaviest volume every night, his excuse it has a longer slide area! I was insulted as a Woman & compared to the guys on my belt. I am the only female on the belt. I told him I would never be able to do as much as men. He said , He couldn't give me special treatment. Something I never asked for. He was angry because I didn't go home the first two days of the week like I had the previous week, allowing him to keep a new hire which was of course fast than I.
My slide continued to get jams & I was backing up badly! He offered no help to me, as normally he has TWO guys in this truck. He sends a supervisor to break jams. As he continued to push boxes he blocked every entrance for me to get out of the truck as they were sliding off the rollers. As I tried to pick some of them up I was told by my sup to leave those & focus on the ones on the rollers. I made the comment, " I guess saftey isnt a concern here" The sup breaking jams, makes the comment. "well you know if you did more than 75 packages per hr this wouldnt be a problem! Then goes on to say I am the slowest loader he has ever seen. I continued to load becoming upset, checked my scans an I had 600 scans within just 3 hours. Which if my math is correct seems more like 200 pieces an hour , which to me is PLENTY. I was receiving smalls bags that weight 70-100lbs & all other packages I was lucky to see one under 30lbs. I had had enough harassment & insults it finally go to me & by this point I was in tears & left my truck.
My sup for my area wasnt around so I asked a female sup that was standing there if she could call our HUb manager for me, she said of course. Once on the phone he asked if I was hurt, she said no but she's upset & needs to talk to you. Instead of him coming to me, he requested I come t o where he was.

Once I met up with him, he continued with the insults. Saying, "well you are pretty slow" & went on to say that he could show me other girls in the hub that were faster than me & that he could hire a new hire that starts out faster than me etc.
I went on to say, I wasn't hired as a loader. I was hired directly into smalls & for 2.5 yrs that's where I have been.
He said, everyone is hired as a loader. I said everyone maybe classified as a loader but I was hired to smalls.
He then has me do what I felt like was a stupid test, in an attempt to embarrass me in front of people passing by etc.
He picked a box off a belt weighing 2 lbs! sat it down & asked me to move from one point to another and he would time me for one minute. I did his stupid test & even after He still continued to insult me and I was by this time shaking and crying even more. After I seen this was going no where, I couldnt take anymore insults. I said " I've had enough & Im outta here, im going home"

The following night he met me at the door, requested a meeting & then FIRED me for " walking off the job"
When he heard me saying I was leaving, he watched as I walked past the only way to my work area & NEVER once asked me not to leave or where I was going. Any other time he has never had a problem doing so, when a sup would send me to another area to work. He would stop me nearly every time asking where I was going. So why not that night as well,? If he knew I was leaving & it would come to me being terminated. UNless he was setting me up for failure in the truck & keeping me upset they knew I wouldn't stand there & tolerate it and I would leave.

I loved my job and was an active member on the safety committee until I filed the first grievance and then I wasn't told about the meetings etc. So I got the hint. The union is working on getting my job back, but to me someone seems to be dragging feet.

Can anyone tell me my options or what I should do next?
Thanks!!

packageguy

Re: Filed Grievance on SUP for Harassment,been harassed since & left upset, then fire

We had something like this in building, but the girl did not walk out. She got her steward and full time supervisor from preload. They went into the office told the supervisor that the part time sup was yelling, screaming, blah blah, and if you don't beleive me go to the video camara. They did she was right
they wrote up the part time sup.

I would report it to his boss, and human resources write all the jobs they changed on you, Quote what he said, and how he made you feel in front of your co-workers. goodluck.

Hokies

Re: Filed Grievance on SUP for Harassment,been harassed since & left upset, then fire

We had something like this in building, but the girl did not walk out. She got her steward and full time supervisor from preload. They went into the office told the supervisor that the part time sup was yelling, screaming, blah blah, and if you don't beleive me go to the video camara. They did she was right
they wrote up the part time sup.

I would report it to his boss, and human resources write all the jobs they changed on you, Quote what he said, and how he made you feel in front of your co-workers. goodluck.

Thanks, yeah I am working on paperwork to give copies to everyone that may want one, if im called into a meeting. I am just tired of being treated horribly by these guys. One of the same SUPS insulting me was also the same guy who a few months back. Asked several other employees..."Have you heard,? Such & such is sleeping with such...etc. With that person he was accusing being me! So that to me is no better than the person who started the rumor, which im sure was him. I had reported him to our manager letting him know that was basically slander & he could handle it or I would.

Hokies

Thanks ! I will look around some more on that site in the morning. Maybe worth writing in to. =)

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Sounds like every UPS building I have worked in, just different names and faces doing the illegal and abusive tactics.

steward71

Could someone explain to me how we are about the only work place that I can locate where, Men are 95% of your management & supervisor staff!? All supervisors in my Hub are kids in their 20's all out to look better than the other. It's a competitiveness for numbers game.
I had to file on a Supervisor for harassing me, while working in smalls. While he harassed me about production, I asked for a shop steward & was refused countless times. After he proceeded to be in my face, bringing me to tears I had no choice but to leave my work area to go look for my hub manager in hopes he would make him leave me alone. While walking to locate him, I was followed by the same supervisor threatening to terminate me for leaving my work area. I don't understand how they can be allowed to get in someones faces yelling about production. Long story short on this instance I filed a grievance on this SUP. Since that night, I have been given dirty looks & then moved from my job in smalls to loading. Retaliation if I do say so myself. I was given various reasons for the move other than the truth.

Then once again 1.5 months after being in a truck I begin to get harassed there as well. Starting with my sup running my belt moving me from doing two trucks & recycles in which he said I couldnt keep up with, so he moved me to a truck that receives the most & heaviest volume every night, his excuse it has a longer slide area! I was insulted as a Woman & compared to the guys on my belt. I am the only female on the belt. I told him I would never be able to do as much as men. He said , He couldn't give me special treatment. Something I never asked for. He was angry because I didn't go home the first two days of the week like I had the previous week, allowing him to keep a new hire which was of course fast than I.
My slide continued to get jams & I was backing up badly! He offered no help to me, as normally he has TWO guys in this truck. He sends a supervisor to break jams. As he continued to push boxes he blocked every entrance for me to get out of the truck as they were sliding off the rollers. As I tried to pick some of them up I was told by my sup to leave those & focus on the ones on the rollers. I made the comment, " I guess saftey isnt a concern here" The sup breaking jams, makes the comment. "well you know if you did more than 75 packages per hr this wouldnt be a problem! Then goes on to say I am the slowest loader he has ever seen. I continued to load becoming upset, checked my scans an I had 600 scans within just 3 hours. Which if my math is correct seems more like 200 pieces an hour , which to me is PLENTY. I was receiving smalls bags that weight 70-100lbs & all other packages I was lucky to see one under 30lbs. I had had enough harassment & insults it finally go to me & by this point I was in tears & left my truck.
My sup for my area wasnt around so I asked a female sup that was standing there if she could call our HUb manager for me, she said of course. Once on the phone he asked if I was hurt, she said no but she's upset & needs to talk to you. Instead of him coming to me, he requested I come t o where he was.

Once I met up with him, he continued with the insults. Saying, "well you are pretty slow" & went on to say that he could show me other girls in the hub that were faster than me & that he could hire a new hire that starts out faster than me etc.
I went on to say, I wasn't hired as a loader. I was hired directly into smalls & for 2.5 yrs that's where I have been.
He said, everyone is hired as a loader. I said everyone maybe classified as a loader but I was hired to smalls.
He then has me do what I felt like was a stupid test, in an attempt to embarrass me in front of people passing by etc.
He picked a box off a belt weighing 2 lbs! sat it down & asked me to move from one point to another and he would time me for one minute. I did his stupid test & even after He still continued to insult me and I was by this time shaking and crying even more. After I seen this was going no where, I couldnt take anymore insults. I said " I've had enough & Im outta here, im going home"

The following night he met me at the door, requested a meeting & then FIRED me for " walking off the job"
When he heard me saying I was leaving, he watched as I walked past the only way to my work area & NEVER once asked me not to leave or where I was going. Any other time he has never had a problem doing so, when a sup would send me to another area to work. He would stop me nearly every time asking where I was going. So why not that night as well,? If he knew I was leaving & it would come to me being terminated. UNless he was setting me up for failure in the truck & keeping me upset they knew I wouldn't stand there & tolerate it and I would leave.

I loved my job and was an active member on the safety committee until I filed the first grievance and then I wasn't told about the meetings etc. So I got the hint. The union is working on getting my job back, but to me someone seems to be dragging feet.

Can anyone tell me my options or what I should do next?
Thanks!!

I know who you are I work on the preload in your building and know all about the management on mid-night. Is local helping you. Private message me I can help you don't take this SH** you are a very nice lady I see from the sidelines and have been bitching at the BA for 2 years about this Sh**. I work on the preload AM 4am to 830am. If want help will give it you and point u in the right info. You should have been placed back in smalls a long time ago, once the BA gets off his a** in the next few weeks you will get the job back then place a transfer to my shift and you will not be treated like this. The managers we have right now are pretty good, they will treat you fair the members on my shift will not stand by not help you.

steward71

Hokies,
The BA is at times slow but he will help you. Good news for you he was in the building on friday at 630am meeting at 8am.

Last edited by a moderator:

packageguy

The bottom line is nobody should be treated this way.that's why there is a human resources dept, if your part time sup and full time sups are not reporting this or not taking action or trying to hide this matter. They could be fired.

A

anonymous6

wouldn't it be a good idea for her to take acouple co workers and go to HR to file a formal complaint along with a group grievance?

packageguy

wouldn't it be a good idea for her to take acouple co workers and go to HR to file a formal complaint along with a group grievance?

That's a great idea, But I know it's hard to get witness, I hope she does IT WOULD HER CASE SO MUCH EASIER.

steward71

Hokies,
I know you are the same HuB i'm out of I have heard about this from a person i work with you have to be the same lady. It is a good idea about HR, but here is another I see all of the full time drivers in the HUB everyday we can have them and everyone from the other shifts sign a petition calling from your job back and force the local to do something within 48 hours this was done last time this happen on my shift before we got new management. If you are the same person the preload employees are very strong in numbers and we can help if you want it please let me know set your setting to private message and will give you a phone number to a person who can help you and point you in the right way. Let me know please if we can help you.

menotyou

bella amicizia

The bottom line is nobody should be treated this way.that's why there is a human resources dept, if your part time sup and full time sups are not reporting this or not taking action or trying to hide this matter. They could be fired.

My experience is HR isn't the biggest fan of sups in operations. They know all to well how they harass. Go to them. It might work.

Hokies

I am not sure how to message you on here, but it shows you are online now. If you know how, send me a PM. Thanks

Hokies

I appreciate you helping me. It's just I am not sure how to message on here. =) Where do I change settings to private message?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I appreciate you helping me. It's just I am not sure how to message on here. =) Where do I change settings to private message?

I just tried to send you a private message but you have not been here long enough to be able to send and/or receive private messages. When you are, all you have to do is click on the members name and then click on send private message.

Hokies

Hokies,
Rosie has his feeting draging all the time and he is getting ready for the big Los Vags. Good news for you he was in the building with steve on friday at 630am meeting at 8am. this is the only time he has been on preload in 4 years when the employees are still there.

Try this, Hokies 79 @ the mailing used by google with no spaces between name & numbers =)

Hokies

Yeah I am not sure I could locate a group willing to go, is the sad part, not many are willing to stand up for themselves for fear of this happening. Use my name here & 79 next and Google mail service, cause I cant use the message service on here and I also cant post my info apparently. =( I would really like to speak with Steward71 but not sure how? lol

menotyou

bella amicizia

You can Private Message Steward71. Click on name and the option will pop up.

steward71

Hokies, I have been working the last few days and have not had time to send you one. I will send you a mail today at my lunch break. BA is at panels this week and may be meeting with the labor Guy over this issue and the standard for this type of issue is 10 days suspended where it used to be 5 days. Then agian it he may (he better because you have a good case) fight the issue more since this has been going on for over 2 months you should have never been moved out of smalls at. There is at least three people in that area that came from twilight that should not had spot in the smalls and you were moved. You began in this spot and should not have been moved. It is a shame you don't have good stewards on this shift. Some one told me today that you went to the some high school as I did. Be very careful if you go back next week cover ass. The union has been told time and time again about this issue by me and and others. Watch your back. I can tell you stories about this been there over 17.5 years good luck I will mail today.