Filed on Sup working

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am a full time steward and about a year ago the BA allowed the company to drag out my sup. working grvnce for 3 months but paid others immediately. I told the BA that I was going to file labor charges against the union if he didn't docket my grvnce to the state panel to be heard the next month. He believed what I told him, docketed it and when I walked into the lobby of the hotel where the panels were being held the Labor Manager told the BA he would pay my grvnce in full.

You paying dues? Stand up for yourself, take the steward and have a little "campfire" talk with the BA. If you don't get it heard asap call the package division of the IBT in Washington DC and light their fuse. They will fix the problem...I guarantee it. This is bull crap.
Me to BA: "Steward and others are taking their lunch between 1st and 2nd hour, making extra contract agreements, then taking advantages the company offers them such as stealing time and taking extra breaks during shift among other things"

BA to me: "Ok i'll set them straight"

Next two weeks: steward and others still taking lunch whenever they want,

walking all over the contract,

and then telling management that people like me who won't make side deals and want a lunch when the contract says, are the "problem employees".

What you and everyone else says sounds good, but the only way out are RTW laws so people don't have to pay into a system that doesn't benefit them and only makes their jobs and work environment more difficult because of the corrupt Teamsters.

packageguy

We had lots of things going on,
Drivers and preloads walked off
property, our union reps said relax,
we will ge to them, and 3 weeks ago
they paid all outstanding grievence. It
took 8 months but we were paid.

C

chuchu

Good luck with that...the 20 hours you spend will not make up the two hours the sups stole.
It took a 20 min conversation with the IBT to fix our problem and it pretty much fixed it permanently. We get paid the great wages and bennies because the Union negotiated it for us. Are some corrupt? Sure. But so are others that are hourly and those wearing ties. If you want a RTW workplace, enjoy that thought. Fed Ex is hiring. They didnt get a union negotiated contract. Try their wages and bennies for a month. Corrupt or not, I gross $1500-$1800 a week. For that, it is worth the struggles thrown our way at times.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It took a 20 min conversation with the IBT to fix our problem and it pretty much fixed it permanently. We get paid the great wages and bennies because the Union negotiated it for us. Are some corrupt? Sure. But so are others that are hourly and those wearing ties. If you want a RTW workplace, enjoy that thought. Fed Ex is hiring. They didnt get a union negotiated contract. Try their wages and bennies for a month. Corrupt or not, I gross $1500-$1800 a week. For that, it is worth the struggles thrown our way at times.
What you are doing is suggesting I perform wage slavery for another company and "do worse" when there should, in reality, be no wage slavery to begin with. The struggles are worth it but not due to RTW or closed shop.

You are oversimplifying the issue, my friend. RTW laws are unnecessary. We agree. That is assuming there are no other qualifiers! the underlying laws and provisions, gov't agencies and etc are the root of the problem

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You ever file for a driver working off the clock, and when the driver refuses the pay, you get it?

Very satisfying.

d

C

chuchu

What you are doing is suggesting I perform wage slavery for another company and "do worse" when there should, in reality, be no wage slavery to begin with. The struggles are worth it but not due to RTW or closed shop.

You are oversimplifying the issue, my friend. RTW laws are unnecessary. We agree. That is assuming there are no other qualifiers! the underlying laws and provisions, gov't agencies and etc are the root of the problem
I agree. But a UPS job has always been the envy of most of the working blue collar folks because of the wages and benefits. It is what it is. I am not over simplifying (at least not trying to) but I have worked most of my life in NON union jobs....most of which I liked better-work wise-but the contract we work under is pretty darn good compared to most any other blue collar vocation.

Am I a door mat for the union because I'm a steward? Not. But the OP was going through the same bull crap we (and probably most of you too) have dealt with and we got our problem fixed. The OP was taking a stand for many employees that didn't and wouldn't because they didn't have the spine to and I commend him/her for that. If it wasn't for people like that alot of part timers wouldn't have gotten a shot at a full time job this year. The only thing the company understands is the pain in their wallet when they get busted screwing over hard working employees who just want and have the contractural right to a real job.

If every employee stood up to the management when they steal from the hourly we would see alot of things change for the better pretty darn quick. You reap what you sow.

Last edited by a moderator: