filled out ups online app

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by mitchel, Aug 13, 2014.

1. mitchel

mitchel Member

i just filled out an UPS online application. after 20 years at fedex, I'm still not topped out, just looking at what my options are. Is it worth it? Would i get hired into a driving position, or expect to load trucks for years?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Are you a courier?

3. mitchel

mitchel Member

yes. been a swing for the last 13 years

4. UpstateNYUPSer

With the way we are hiring you may just walk right in to a driving job. Good luck.

5. mitchel

mitchel Member

thanks. i have an interview scheduled. like, i said ..im looking into options, leaving a secure job is scary

6. UpstateNYUPSer

During the interview make sure you detail your experience and express that you prefer not to start on the inside and then work your way up.

7. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

What was application for?

8. mitchel

mitchel Member

so, they do hire guys into a driving position. i have a lot of knowledge of routes being a swing driver for so long...hell, i know almost every gate code in the valley

9. mitchel

mitchel Member

the app was for a handler position. i was just thinking that at least that got me through the door and talk to someone

10. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

What job did you apply for online a package handler or driving position ??? If there weren't any driver position posted and you applied for a package handler position that is the position your going for an interview for and for which you will be hired if you get hired.

11. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Your not going to hired as a driver. If there where driving position open they would have been posted and there is a 6 to 1 inside to outside hire ratio with the 1 usually going to a casual / seasonal driver or on some occasions a PT Sup.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

Not necessarily. If the HR person has any common sense, he/she will place this person in the position where he will fit best (provided there are openings).

13. mitchel

mitchel Member

yeah, that was i thinking also. i know ups is union and driving jobs go to people there. but i also know of some coworkers that were hired on at UPS straight on, no loading time before. like i said. its an open door to try. my other worry is how much do you hate off the street new hires..let alone one defecting from fedex. would life suck at work for me?

14. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Unless there's an off the street driver position available....HR "common sense" is irrevalent, as is the OP's previous driving experience. He can sling boxes just like the rest of us....there's no cutting the line!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. mitchel

mitchel Member

lol bleeding. i understand your sentiment. i get :censored2: off when fedex hires off the street. at least i spent many years at the ramp before i became a swing driver here, so..yeah i get it.

16. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

They do hire drivers off the street, but unless the app said perm FT driver, then stay where you are at. You got to double what HR says to time for package handlers to get driving job. They figure once you noticed that they fibbed, that you are too far in to back out.

17. UpstateNYUPSer

If you do get hired you can expect a lot more of that entitlement attitude expressed by that other member.

Resident know-it-all.

18. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

<sour grapes>

19. UpstateNYUPSer

Not at all.

Resident know-it-all.

20. TheKid99

TheKid99 Active Member

Op where did you apply?

I was a courier at FedEx also

I'm a handler right now but I will be driving next month and hopefully ill get hired off the street